July 29, 2014, 05:32:52 PM

Author Topic: Inside the Canon EOS-1D C  (Read 13361 times)

matt2491

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Inside the Canon EOS-1D C
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2013, 11:08:59 AM »
No worries jondave, someone will do it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2013, 11:08:59 AM »

jlev23

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2013, 11:28:03 AM »
i used and tested the 1d-C, nice camera, but i would never buy a camera for 12k that doesnt shoot raw, its ridiculous.
its a 6-7 thousand dollar camera at best.
5D MKIII

neech7

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2013, 01:12:08 PM »
I guess a bunch of people here ingested the naive pill this morning.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2013, 05:34:44 PM »
If Apple Inc cannot bring the jailbreakers to justice what hope of Canon Inc? They have better luck stiffing the grey market imports.

4K video should not cost that much!

I believe that there was an exception added to the DMCA that fully allows you to jailbreak your phone...I think it is semi-annually that the DMCA comes up for review and exceptions can be added or removed.

As for the camera..I think it comes down to if you wanted to put any firmware on the camera you wanted to...you can freely. I imagine you could sell it, or give it away free legally.

You'd just better be VERY sure, that you document and actually do a clean room reverse engineering of the hardware.

Now..if there is any DRM in the hardware you have to 'break' to get functionality...that might be an area that is gonna need a DMCA exception.

IANAL, but from what I've read and seen on subjects like this in the past...this would seem to follow along.

So, if this hardware has the functionality, and you can figure how to use it, without using any Canon software (per their license), you would be free to do so,and free to release it..as that I'm guessing that there isn't any hardware locking or encryption in the hardware that would have to be bypassed or cracked to use....

That my $0.02,

cayenne

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2013, 05:37:39 PM »
i used and tested the 1d-C, nice camera, but i would never buy a camera for 12k that doesnt shoot raw, its ridiculous.
its a 6-7 thousand dollar camera at best.

Well a 1DX is a 6-7 thousand dollar camera, and the 1DC is literally the exact same thing + lots of other video options, so why wouldn't you expect it to cost the same price?  Canon is a business, not a charity.  And so far everyone is raving about how much they love the 1DC, so it must be worth it to some people. 

Regardless, it's still really cheap for 4K.  Most cameras that shoot 4K take a lot of time/accessories to set up, but with the 1DC you can take it out of the box, put in batteries and CF cards and be shooting 4K in under a minute.  It's seriously like all the advantages of shooting video on a DSLR but with the quality of a legit cinema camera.  And the image quality is night and day better than any other Canon DSLR.

And all the people screaming about wanting RAW always seem to forget the fact that RAW files are massive and require lots of storage space (both for shooting and storing) and computing power.  You can drop MJPEG files from the 1DC straight into Premiere and it will run without a hiccup.  I mean it's nice to have raw, but even if I had a camera that did shoot it I'm sure I'd only use it a fraction of the time. 

When are people going to get that this isn't a prosumer camera at all? It's not in the same class as the 5D2/3 or 7D, wasn't made for that demographic.  You think this is expensive?  Look into other cinema gear.  $200,000 sets of primes, $40k-$50k zooms, $60k-$80k bodies, $300k dollies and lots of motion control.  The film industry pisses $12k before they even get to work, I mean that's nothing for a body compared to some of the other stuff they use.  And at $12k at least the rentals will be reasonable, the majority of legit video production is done on rented equipment, no shame in it.  Most of you already have great DSLR's, you don't need to have 4K video on tap all the time.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 05:54:47 PM by Axilrod »
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2013, 05:43:28 PM »
If Apple Inc cannot bring the jailbreakers to justice what hope of Canon Inc? They have better luck stiffing the grey market imports.

Why should 4K not cost that much?  Name one other camera that shoots 4K for under $12k.  And don't say the RED Scarlet, you'll spend $16,000 before you have a functional camera, you can't do a damn thing with a $8000 brain.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

AG

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2013, 05:51:56 PM »

Why should 4K not cost that much?  Name one other camera that shoots 4K for under $12k.  And don't say the RED Scarlet, you'll spend $16,000 before you have a functional camera, you can't do a damn thing with a $8000 brain.

As much as i agree with everything that Axilrod is saying, there are 4K cameras out there for under $12k

For example:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/839193-REG/JVC_GY_HMQ10U_GY_HMQ10_4K_Compact_Handheld.html

Sure its not a great camera but it shoots 4K for under $5K and i think that that is what most people see when they think the 1DC is so expensive.

But in all seriousness thats like someone complaining about the 1DX being $7K when a $150 PnS can take just as nice photos and can shoot HD 1080p video too.

You get what you pay for.

After playing around with some video files from a 1DC, that i sure as hell want one.
I just need someone to buy this spare kidney i have laying around.

Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2013, 05:51:56 PM »

HurtinMinorKey

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2013, 10:42:11 AM »

And all the people screaming about wanting RAW always seem to forget the fact that RAW files are massive and require lots of storage space (both for shooting and storing) and computing power.  You can drop MJPEG files from the 1DC straight into Premiere and it will run without a hiccup.  I mean it's nice to have raw, but even if I had a camera that did shoot it I'm sure I'd only use it a fraction of the time. 

If you can spend $12K on a camera, then you can spend $3K on a computer setup that eats RAW video for breakfast.

I agree that the 1D-C priced for novelty, because no other camera does quite what it can do. However, I think that 4K doesn't provide the same post production IQ potential as RAW. 4K does allow you to re-frame shots,   but until people start watching things in 4K(or even then noticing the difference), the novelty of the 1D-C looks more like a gimmick. 

dolina

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2013, 10:18:29 PM »
I see Canon consolidating a 4k-capable 1D camera in 3 years time for about 6-8k.
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2013, 10:18:29 PM »