March 01, 2015, 11:03:37 PM

Author Topic: Joe's Tuscan Adventure  (Read 1722 times)

JoeKerslake

• Power Shot G7X
  • Hi
    • View Profile
Re: Joe's Tuscan Adventure
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2015, 10:11:40 AM »
Hi Joe.
Umm maybe you can tell your Girl Friend this little story.
I am Seriously afraid of heights, and a fear of flying. I mean, like, 3 steps on a ladder, and I am starting to sweat. But I had to fly for 23hours in a 747 JumboJet. My seat was by the window, just behind the wing. So I could see the ground, and the wing, and the engine.

10minutes into the flight, I am frozen to my seat, white knuckles gripping the arm-rest, can not take my eyes off the view out of the window. I did not notice the Hostess quietly lean over to me, but when she asked me, "would you like a drink sir?" I screamed like a little girl, "WHAT !".
Everybody in my section laughed, a lot ....  :-[

Eventually it occurred to me, 'I payed a lot of money for this flight', 'It would be dumb if I did not take advantage of the experience'.
I got up from my seat and walked to the Rear Exit Door, I spent 11hours leaning against the door, changing from Left side to Right side.
I watched the Sun set over Russia for 5hours, it was the most amazing thing I have ever seen.
The thinner atmosphere combined with different angle of the light rays made a colour light show of yellows and reds and oranges and purples - it was a totally different world.

It did not fix my fears, I am still useless on a ladder. But I was able to go to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris (for a few min's), and in the cable-cars / gondolas in the Swiss Alps.
I was afraid the whole time, but because I was so emotionally charged, the memories, views, people, it is all etched into my brain forever.

I still hate flying, but I ask for a window seat every time. I don't want to miss a single thing.
Maybe that could help your GF.  :)

Fortunately she's not so bad with flying, just high stairs and ladders. I'll go up a tower one day, and show her what she missed, then she'll never turn down the opportunity again!

Nice shots.  With the cathedral shot I am not a huge fan, mainly because I have never really liked tilty shots. (That's just me)

The street shot; I wish you could move to the right slightly so that you give the clock tower a bit more clearing. I think that would help the composition a bit.
Also I kind of wish that the foreground people were either more in focus or less in focus.  That said I like having people in the scene because it makes it more natural and adds context.

Hope to see some more shots.  I am heading to Tuscany in a few months, looks great!

I despise doing PP, so I quickly knocked this one up. Not much I can do about the foreground people. But the clock tower is more central.

Where abouts are you going?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2015, 10:11:40 AM »

JoeKerslake

• Power Shot G7X
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2015, 05:26:44 PM »
How's this? Pulled the saturation back but kept slight colour in the walls.

PropeNonComposMentis

• Rebel T5i
  • >< INACTIVE ><
    • View Profile
    • Where.Is.The.Any.Key
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 11:37:16 PM »
You are killing me Joe, you are making me cry... :)
I look at your images and I can smell the baking bread, pizza's, olive oil, herbs, taste the vino, hear the men talking in the background. Aaarrrrhhhh !!!
In a good way, it's all good. :)
Photographie de la magie mystérieuse. If an image can transport you to another place - it is priceless, a gift.

The b&w shots, honestly, I can't pick between them. I like both.
The Street Scene. I prefer the second one. The Clock Tower looks cleaner and clearer, and at the lower left, the Archway is brighter. (btw, you can see identical archways with the same light covers in Venice).
I think there might be Motion-Blur on the people. More likely, Chromatic aberration, Focus aberration.
The image of the Sculpture and Farmland. If you zoom-in on the Birds over the Vineyards and Olive Groves, you can see some 'fringing'.
These are functions of the camera and/or lens. Not much you can do about it.
(btw, the blue cast over the mountains and hills. That is Olive Oil, Citrus oil, and Pine Oil, floating in the warm air)

Did you notice the Pizzeria Sign is only one-sided ?
Were you only in Firenze ?
Just wondering what camera and lens' you are using ?

Well Jeevz, you have put you foot in it now. We will be expecting Images and Tales from you... ;)
Do some research before you go. Time runs a bit slower in the Tuscany region.

Some travel advice, for anybody, does not matter where.
I have been very fortunate and have traveled a great deal for a lot of my life. Kind of a 35year, on again off again, working-holiday, always chasing the next photograph.
 The first thing I do on arrival - spot the tourists, then stay away from them. Then, spot the locals, where they eat, shop, dance, etc. Follow them.
Gear: 1xSemi-functional Obsolete Photographer (1950model). 1xSemi-functional Pentax 645 (film).

JoeKerslake

• Power Shot G7X
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 05:59:19 AM »
Thank you!

The pizzeria sign was one of the reasons I decided to put it through PP, it's one of my favourite parts of the image.

This was my second holiday to Tuscany, the first was with my parent and I fell in love with it so much. I met my now girlfriend a few years later and thought what a perfect place for our first holiday. Despite it costing me an absolute fortune!

We flew into Pisa where we had a day looking around, seeing the tower and getting the obvious pictures. We then travelled down to San Gimignano where we stayed in the most beautiful little cottage (the same as my first trip), we used this as a hub, travelling to Firenze and Sienna, unfortunately we didn't have the time to visit Volterra or Monterrigioni. San Gimignano is an incredible place though, incredible food, great people, and perfect scenery. Also, the best gelato I've ever had!

If anyone wants the name of our accommodation let me know.

The camera I used was actually my girlfriends Lumix DMC-LX7, so I learnt a lot about shot composition on this trip without worrying too much about settings.

Since then I've bought a 100D/SL1 and a 50mm 1.8. Investing in a 70-200mm II very shortly.

PropeNonComposMentis

• Rebel T5i
  • >< INACTIVE ><
    • View Profile
    • Where.Is.The.Any.Key
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2015, 10:34:31 AM »
That's sweet man, taking your girl to Tuscany.
Great Location, Great Food, Great Romance, who cares about money :)
She must be special if she let you use Her Camera !

The Lumix camera. I don't recall any negative opinions or reviews. I do know that the Sun can be hash down around Tuscany, and that can be an issue with Digital Cameras.
Also, .jpg files have compressed data. So if you open the Image File, make same change, then save it. You are effectively, Re-compressing data that is already compromised by compression.
So I am with you on PP, it sux...

The 100D/ SL1 seems to be a popular camera. Stepping up to 18mega pixels gives you a little bit of "wiggle room", the effect of Re-compression is less noticeable.
The 50mm lens. Take your time and learn the lens, specially if you are learning Composition. At f/1.8, it is a good honest faithful lens. If you turn off AF (auto focus) and go with Manual Focus, limit yourself to 2 or 3 shots at a time, it will teach you.

Put the zoom lens out of your mind for a while, buy your lady some flowers and take her to a restaurant. Its almost the 14th, so you better make a booking asap !
And put your new toy away for a few days. :)

Just my opinion Qu'est-ce qui sera sera , l'amour ce est la vie.

Gear: 1xSemi-functional Obsolete Photographer (1950model). 1xSemi-functional Pentax 645 (film).

JoeKerslake

• Power Shot G7X
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2015, 11:43:40 AM »
It's a brilliant camera, although light was often an issue. We had incredibly harsh light on our visit to Sienna which ruined a fair few pictures.

I usually shoot in RAW so PP is much easier.

Picked the 100d up quite cheap in September and I love it, small and light, with the 50mm it's almost pocket size. Looking at the new pancake too to make it even more portable. Trying to get in the habit of manual focusing at the moment, and getting on quite well. Composition isn't too much of an issue anymore, I've found with the nifty fifty I have to use my feet more, and step closer or further away from my subject which gives me some good ideas.

We have a weekend in London, and yes the camera is staying at home! No camera stores either!

PropeNonComposMentis

• Rebel T5i
  • >< INACTIVE ><
    • View Profile
    • Where.Is.The.Any.Key
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2015, 02:20:07 PM »
:) You are a good man Joe, she is a lucky girl. You can tell her the Grumpy Old Dude from Australia said so... lol...
Yeah, there is some proper good eateries in London, if you are doing the restaurant thing. Bit rough on the wallet though.

First time I was in London, the 2pound coin was still a new thing, I lived on 4pound a day taking happy-snaps for tourists in Trafalgar Square and Nelsen's Column and the mall.
I found a fish & chip that did hamburger also. He was up on the Brompton Road near Earls Court.   

Last time I was there was to shoot The Shard, The Gherkin, and The Eye, total of 11shots, done as a semi-nested-series. They may well still be on display in a London Gallery. It was a commissioned job. I print to a Woven Cotton Canvas (denim), each print is 6feet / 2metres measured on the diagonal. I do 10 and 12 feet also.
I can get that size of enlargement because I shoot to 70mm film (medium format).

Well I guess that's you all sorted then. Good luck on the weekend  :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2015, 02:20:07 PM »