December 18, 2014, 08:42:55 PM

Author Topic: Why is poverty so photogenic?  (Read 1957 times)

Nelu

• Power Shot G7X
  • 5D Mark III,7D,5D Mark II (sold)
    • View Profile
    • My Shutterstock Gallery
Re: Why is poverty so photogenic?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 07:41:07 PM »
Poverty is photogenic because it`s genuine, it`s a part of real life. It`s also photogenic because poor people don`t give a damn about privacy legislation and they don`t mind looking into your eyes and have their photo taken.
I find rich countries, especially in North America, like Canada for example, the worse places to take people photos.
We are obsessed with this privacy issue, I can tell you that...
Street photographers, I`m sorry for you guys here, in this part of the world :(

Nelu
Adobe Certified Expert Photoshop CS6

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 07:41:07 PM »

TeT

• EOS M2
  • I am smiling because I am happy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 08:13:39 PM »
It's not photogenic as another posted pointed out yet extremes are always captivating. They convey more emotion than average situations, thus they make better subjects than say a family of four dining at a buffet. Not to say that might not offer a unique image...anything COULD be a captivating photograph. The topic of what separates a snapshot from a photograph has been ground into dust, it's like discussing sensors or DR on the forum.

+1

lion rock

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 08:17:44 PM »
Look at the situation in several aspects.
Most photos of "poverty photos" are of the elderly.  The elderly convey a sense of longevity, with their wisdom built into their features of wrinkles.  The young, on the other hand, convey a sense of longing, longing for a part of life they may only hope for, striving to make a better life, however/whatever that they can do to get there.  Look at their eyes.  Hope and worse yet, somewhat with despair.

Another aspect is that we look at differences, of lifestyles, races, dresses/costumes, statures, and now, even religions with colored vision.  We look at those and think they are different.  With some photos of war torn countries, one can see the locals looking at the victors parading with hate or joy depending on how the locals perceive the victors to be.

Yet, one more aspect is the photos of dignitaries and celebrities.  Sure, they're just as photogenic and interesting.  Just as eye catching.  Last night, at an Indian restaurant having dinner at a village near Christchurch, I saw photos of the owner with the Dali Lama and another with Prince Charles.  Those are also photogenic, especially to the owner of those photos.

Photographing an aspect of life is not that it is photogenic, it is also reporting a fact of life not all of us see regularly, and so it reports on documentary, social interest, or, a means of showing us something we may learn from.  Whatever it may be, I don't think it should take the message that poverty is bad.  In Bhutan, the country is not rich by any means, but it looks to life with a different standard, that of "Index of Happiness".  I shot photos there, and at a glance, you see poverty, too.  yet, it's citizen gets free education all the way through high school, and if it warrants, the government provides for international college education.

So, I'd like to drop the word of "photogenic" for pictures I shoot of situations like these.  I'll just say this style of photography is documentary.
-r

9VIII

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 08:35:56 PM »
I find rich countries, especially in North America, like Canada for example, the worse places to take people photos.

When your battery isn't frozen.

I like the fact that people can't just wander around aimlessly for half the year.
-100% RAW-

takesome1

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2014, 08:42:59 PM »
I am sure that is photogenic to some with $10k in camera gear on their neck.
The holiday pictures of the 40+ million ion the US below poverty level are for the most part uninteresting.
Much in the same way I find a picture of two bums next to a drum with fire boring.
Poverty pics are for the most part are cheap emotion grabs, occasionally a picture can capture the essence of a situation and those usually come with a respect of those in the situation. The OP's pictures do not capture this, nor is this scene photogenic.

takesome1

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2014, 08:46:09 PM »

When your battery isn't frozen.

I like the fact that people can't just wander around aimlessly for half the year.

If you want poor in the US just go two blocks north of the White  House and look at the street people in the park.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2014, 08:46:09 PM »