September 18, 2014, 02:16:31 AM

Author Topic: My trip to Thailand  (Read 464 times)

yorgasor

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
My trip to Thailand
« on: August 23, 2014, 04:16:21 AM »
I just returned from visiting my sister in Thailand.  I've had very little international travel experience, I haven't seen much of the world outside the US, so I was struck by many of the differences.  This first batch of photos took place during a serious rain storm.  I had gone to the Rama VIII bridge to get photos of that, but the people cowering under the bridge for protection from the storm gave me much better photos.  It turned out, the bridge didn't offer all that much protection, the strong wind blew the rain mostly horizontal anyway.

5D3_0193 by yorgasor, on Flickr

Fun in the rain by yorgasor, on Flickr

5D3_0117 by yorgasor, on Flickr

Football in the rain by yorgasor, on Flickr

5D3_0066 by yorgasor, on Flickr

canon rumors FORUM

My trip to Thailand
« on: August 23, 2014, 04:16:21 AM »

yorgasor

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: My trip to Thailand
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 04:23:46 AM »
The Grand Palace has some amazing architecture, statues and paintings. It is completely enclosed by outer walls in a large rectangle.  These walls are covered, and the entire length of the walls are long murals depicting what I suppose are scenes from history and lore.  There is only one entrance and one exit, but everything looks very similar, so good luck finding your way out.  Once I decided I needed to leave, it took me another 1/2 hour to find my way out.  I also reached a point where I honestly couldn't tell if I had already taken a picture just like the one I was about to take.

Grand Palace Panorama by yorgasor, on Flickr

5D3_9821 by yorgasor, on Flickr

5D3_9846 by yorgasor, on Flickr

5D3_9960 by yorgasor, on Flickr

5D3_9838 by yorgasor, on Flickr

5D3_0049 by yorgasor, on Flickr

yorgasor

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 04:35:54 AM »
We were convinced by some slick wheeling people that we needed to take a canal tour of the city by boat.  We were promised great views of many temples and buildings.  Well, the views of such buildings from below in the canal were less than inspiring.  The boat keeps moving, never letting you stop for a good photo, and the only telephoto lens I had with me was an old manual focus Nikon 180mm lens.  Getting the shots just right with that while in a moving boat was a difficult task, with mostly just a few good lucky shots.  And finally, it was really mostly a slum tour through the canals.

Still, I walked away with a number of nice shots and I saw a side of Bangkok that perhaps many never see.  It was well worth the trip.

Old Bangkok by yorgasor, on Flickr

5D3_9489 by yorgasor, on Flickr

Bridge over polluted waters by yorgasor, on Flickr

Want to buy a souvenir? by yorgasor, on Flickr

Too young to smoke? by yorgasor, on Flickr

5D3_9682 by yorgasor, on Flickr

Can you canoe? by yorgasor, on Flickr

5D3_9555 by yorgasor, on Flickr

yorgasor

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 04:40:58 AM »
And here are a few miscellaneous shots as I went around town.

5D3_0293-2 by yorgasor, on Flickr

Work Cart by yorgasor, on Flickr

Monitor by yorgasor, on Flickr

5D3_0200 by yorgasor, on Flickr

Waiting for his ship to come in by yorgasor, on Flickr

Wat Arun - Temple of Dawn by yorgasor, on Flickr

Wired by yorgasor, on Flickr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 04:40:58 AM »