July 02, 2016, 03:37:45 AM

Author Topic: 2016 AfricaRaw photosafari by "old age adventurers" has started posting  (Read 2034 times)

oldageadventurer

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • www.africaraw.com
This year our self drive photographic safari was 3 months long from February to May. We chose these dates to coincide with our 50th class reunion at Wits Medical School in Johannesburg. We visited Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park & Etosha National Park, & ended the trip by crossing Botswana quickly for a brief first visit to Pilanesberg Game Reserve.  The KTFP & Etosha had areas that were very dry. We saw lots of game, but most dramatic were the scenes after short heavy rains resulted in explosions of yellow flowers (dubbltjies- Tribulus zeyheri). We have now started posting in www.africaraw.com the photos from the Rooiputs camp area. We will then complete KTFP before starting on Etosha & Pilanesberg.

canon rumors FORUM

Click

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
WOW! Great pictures.   8)

Maximilian

• 5DSR
  • The dark side - I've been there
Great impressions!

I like the pictures from the waterhole.
The reflections and the animals quenching their thirst make these pictures really alive.

And the lions portrait says: if he could speak, he had some stories to tell.

Lovely.

Edit: some misspelling
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 02:02:56 AM by Maximilian »
sometimes you have to close your eyes to see properly.

edoorn

• Power Shot G7X
fantastic! These places are high on my wish list to do a self drive for a couple of weeks, so the tips on your site are quite useful too :)

Do you think it's a doable trip as a tourist, renting a 4x4?

oldageadventurer

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • www.africaraw.com
Thank you all for the kind words. Marianne & I appreciate it very much.
We started off 12 years without any experience at all. Do a short course 4x4 driving, hire a reliable car, & go to easier places first e.g. Etosha & the KTFP. Also stay in fenced camps in the beginning. Our "tips" sections do illustrate the stupid things beginners (us) can get up to. Essential to buy or rent a satellite telephone if you also going to do it on your own! That saved us a number of times e.g. car break downs, illness, & being stuck in a river, as well as just for contact with family

Eldar

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Flickr
Fantastic! What a portfolio! Thanks for sharing!
Canonite and Zeissoholic ...

MrFotoFool

• Canon 7D MK II
  • 5D mk3
    • HoodFineArt
Yes very good stuff. I remember last year's trip on this forum.

canon rumors FORUM

Valvebounce

• Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
Hi Howard and Marianne.
I was trying to work out how to say what I thought and then read Maximillian's post, I think he summed up my thoughts very nicely.

Cheers, Graham.

Great impressions!

I like the pichtures from the waterhole.
The reflections and the animals quenching their thirst make these pictures really alive.

And the lions portait says: if he could speak, he had some stories to tell.

Lovely.
7DII+Grip, 7D+Grip, 40D+Grip, 5D+Grip, EF 24-105 f4L EF-S 17-85, EF-S 10-22, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II, EF 2x III, Σ150-500, Σ17-70 f2.8-4 C, EF 50mm f1.8, 550EX, Triopo TR-985, Godox FC-16, Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!

5D, 20D, 24-105, BG-E4, BG-E2N, 17-85, Nifty 50 pre owned. 😀

Valvebounce

• Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
Hi edoorn.
I can't help you with the Africa bit, but the 4x4 bit I may be able to, adding to what oldageadventurer said, hire a 4x4 locally and get off the beaten track, learn how to self recover or find a local 4x4 club and get their help with tips and tricks. You have no idea how lonely you can be once your 4x4 becomes stuck even when civilisation is a 20 minute walk away until you have done it, got the T shirt!  ;D Much easier to learn with backup than in the middle of your holiday.

Cheers, Graham.

fantastic! These places are high on my wish list to do a self drive for a couple of weeks, so the tips on your site are quite useful too :)

Do you think it's a doable trip as a tourist, renting a 4x4?
7DII+Grip, 7D+Grip, 40D+Grip, 5D+Grip, EF 24-105 f4L EF-S 17-85, EF-S 10-22, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II, EF 2x III, Σ150-500, Σ17-70 f2.8-4 C, EF 50mm f1.8, 550EX, Triopo TR-985, Godox FC-16, Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!

5D, 20D, 24-105, BG-E4, BG-E2N, 17-85, Nifty 50 pre owned. 😀

dslrdummy

• EOS M3
Great portfolio and website. You have a great life and thanks for sharing.
1DXII, 24-105L, 70-200 f2.8ii, 100-400ii, 50 f1.8ii, 300 f2.8ii, 1.4xiii, 2.0xiii

serendipidy

• 1D X Mark II
Great portfolio and website. You have a great life and thanks for sharing.
Took the words right out of my mouth 8)
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

scottkinfw

• 5DSR
    • www.kasden.smug.com
Awesome captures.  I really enjoyed the slide show.  Great job to say the least.

I can't wait to go in August.

Keep the posts coming.

sek
Cameras: 1DXII,5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

Maximilian

• 5DSR
  • The dark side - I've been there
... then read Maximillian's post, I think he summed up my thoughts very nicely.

Cheers, Graham.
You're really welcome to copy those ;)
sometimes you have to close your eyes to see properly.

canon rumors FORUM

canon1dxman

• Rebel T6i
Lovely, brings back many happy memories of recent trips.

If you want to get a taste for SA safaris, go to Youtube and search for safari live or go to wild earth.tv. Twice daily 3 hour live safari transmissions from Sabi Sabi courtesy of National Geographic.

canon rumors FORUM