September 17, 2014, 05:38:45 PM

Author Topic: Reikan Focal Mac Client is NOT native  (Read 4114 times)

EvilTed

Reikan Focal Mac Client is NOT native
« on: January 09, 2013, 02:02:26 AM »
Just shelled out the money for the Pro version and downloaded the Mac version, only to find out that I need to install the Mono framework, which for those not in the know is an open source port on Microsoft's bloated .NET framework.

What kind of crap is this?
I understand it's probably easier to port but there are not many Mac users happy install something as bloated as this on their Mac.

I've downloaded the Windows version and will run it on a Win7 laptop.

Disappointed to say the least :(

ET

canon rumors FORUM

Reikan Focal Mac Client is NOT native
« on: January 09, 2013, 02:02:26 AM »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
Re: Reikan Focal Mac Client is NOT native
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 02:08:43 AM »
Looking at the latest blog posting about the latest release of FoCal beta for Mac OS X, it clearly states that it requires the Mono framework.

And why is it crap that it needs additional libraries/runtime? Most other applications will either use ones that ship with OS X, or have them bundled alongside as part of the installation file, just you don't see them. Mono is a bit larger than most of those, true, but it's much the same.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

AlanF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 02:51:06 AM »
Why would a Mac user annoyed at having to download a Microsoft product  then go and use Windows instead?
5D III, 70D, Powershot SX50, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, 70-200/4 IS, 24-105, 15-85, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 150-600.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 06:45:21 AM »
...there are not many Mac users happy install something as bloated as this on their Mac.

Who, besides you, constitutes 'not many'.  I cared a lot when the Mac beta version would not properly connect to my 1D X.  I cared that their server was down last weekend and I couldn't download a new Mac beta to replace the one giving me a 'version expired' message and not launching. But the need for the Mono framework? That's what you're going to complain about?  Personally, I couldn't care less.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

victorwol

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 06:56:39 AM »
Really? Who cares? I don't think they are saying anywhere the software is compiled to run natively, and does it works and help your to get the lenses correctly focused? That's the important thing I believe...
1D X - 5D MKIII - 7D - 24 f1.4L - 8-15 L - 50 1.2L - 85 1.2L - 15 2.8 - 16-35 2.8L - 24-105 4.0L - 70-200 2.8 LII - 24 TSE - 45 TSE - 90 TSE - MPE 65 - 180 f3.5L - 100 2.8L II - 580EX and a few Einsteins.

crasher8

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 08:07:20 AM »
Don't get me started. I can't do squat with my copy of Focal Pro (Mac household only) and my 5D3. Waiting for Canon to update the SDK? Is that what's going on?

ashmadux

• Rebel T5i
  • Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
    • View Profile
    • Edward Ofori Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 08:08:10 AM »
I think I understand what the op means. It means we paid 100 bucks for a shoddy/lazy software port.

It's always best to have code run natively- it will just be a better, smoother app, period. Witt that said, having two distinct code bases is a pain in the arse for devs. Someone's going to get the short end of the stick here, and sadly it's us Mac folk.

However to the op- chances are most n the forum are only tech guys as far as camera goes so eh don't really have a clue to what the negatives could be. So in this forum, the argument is a wash, unfortunately.
Be the best you, screw everything else.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 08:08:10 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 08:16:26 AM »
Don't get me started. I can't do squat with my copy of Focal Pro (Mac household only) and my 5D3. Waiting for Canon to update the SDK? Is that what's going on?

Yes, the issue is the Canon SDK.  But what else isn't working?  AFAIK, other than needing to manually change the AFMA (which you also need to do with the Windows version of FoCal), the other tests all work.

crasher8

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 08:21:28 AM »
Well for one it keeps telling me it is not a licensed serial number and shows the wrong serial number even though I'm using the current beta version and I own a Pro copy. It locks up, freezes and then there's the manual only issue.

victorwol

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 08:34:28 AM »
I think I understand what the op means. It means we paid 100 bucks for a shoddy/lazy software port.

It's always best to have code run natively- it will just be a better, smoother app, period. Witt that said, having two distinct code bases is a pain in the arse for devs. Someone's going to get the short end of the stick here, and sadly it's us Mac folk.

However to the op- chances are most n the forum are only tech guys as far as camera goes so eh don't really have a clue to what the negatives could be. So in this forum, the argument is a wash, unfortunately.

Lazy port? So you are paying only for the port not the developing of the algorithms to make it work? And how you know it is lazy? How many hours took him?
1D X - 5D MKIII - 7D - 24 f1.4L - 8-15 L - 50 1.2L - 85 1.2L - 15 2.8 - 16-35 2.8L - 24-105 4.0L - 70-200 2.8 LII - 24 TSE - 45 TSE - 90 TSE - MPE 65 - 180 f3.5L - 100 2.8L II - 580EX and a few Einsteins.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 08:36:11 AM »
Well for one it keeps telling me it is not a licensed serial number and shows the wrong serial number even though I'm using the current beta version and I own a Pro copy. It locks up, freezes and then there's the manual only issue.

Did you confirm the camera serial number in Reikan's license portal?  What did their support say?

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 09:07:48 AM »
I wasn't all that agitated, but it felt sort of lame to me.  Then again, I'm a Java developer and see no problem with people needing the JRE  ;D

I *DO* sort of feel bad for Reikan though, I was trying to compile the code from Selenium WebDriver for IE (so we can do source analysis) and Visual C++ is about as similar to C++ as Java for setting up a project; if you don't have their professional kit (only the free version), nothing is easy.

Honestly, would the OP have complained if it required macports and X11 to run? I certainly hope not (because you can get some awesome software that way!) :)
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

crasher8

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 10:45:13 AM »
Yes my serial shows up correctly in the license portal and no I have yet to ask Focal Support about this, will do in a day or two. Thanks for the prompt. :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 10:45:13 AM »

EvilTed

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 10:58:30 AM »
Yes I would have complained if they had required X11 too.
This reminds me of SlickEdit.
X11 is not a good solution for providing a Mac user interface these days and while I don't disagree that there have been good software produced this way, they are mainly Unix applications dating back 20+ years.

This is 2013, not 1993 and the Mac is no longer a 2nd class citizen compared to Windows.
Having been a software architect and developer most of my career, I can see that they developed everything originally using Windows software (.NET) which is very common for the UK.

In Silicon Valley where I work, this is definitely not the norm.
Here people will use Open Source implementations of libraries a lot more readily (or write their own).
If I were to propose a product architecture that included installing Mono for Mac support, I'd be laughed right out of the building...

It's sloppy engineering and sloppy user experience.
While it maintains a single code base (good for the developer) it has a poor user experience (bad for the people who actually pay for it) and it installs unnecessary bloatware (Mono) which will most likely only be used by this product but takes up valuable disk space and risks compatibility problems with other software on the Mac.

Do you think Apple would endorse such a product?

ET

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 11:25:25 AM »
Using Mono saved them £.  Having paid for the Windows version, I would have complained had they decided to charge me additional licensing fees for the Mac version, which is not an unlikely scenario given the size of the firm.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 11:25:25 AM »