July 25, 2014, 12:25:12 AM

Author Topic: Press shutter once to take picture, it stays closed, press again and it opens  (Read 6810 times)

bschaefer

I have a canon 60d. It takes video fine and it takes pictures when in live view. However, when I look through viewfinder and take a picture, the shutter doesn't automatically release. I have to press it a second time to hear the second click. It does still take the picture though so  a bit confused. Help please :).

canon rumors FORUM

K3nt

• Canon 70D
  • "No good photo goes unnoticed!"
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
I have a canon 60d. It takes video fine and it takes pictures when in live view. However, when I look through viewfinder and take a picture, the shutter doesn't automatically release. I have to press it a second time to hear the second click. It does still take the picture though so  a bit confused. Help please :).

Sounds like you have 'Mirror Lockup' enabled. Look through the manual and your cameras settings on how to change it.
Flickr

Canon EOS 7D * 10-22mm EF-S * 50mm f/1.4 * 70-20mm f/2.8L IS USM MkII * Nissin 866Di MkII * 430EXII + accessories

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile

[/quote]

Sounds like you have 'Mirror Lockup' enabled. Look through the manual and your cameras settings on how to change it.
[/quote]

+1
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

shutterwideshut

• EOS M2
  • IR and Long Exposure junkie
    • View Profile

+1000.  ;) .
My Flickr
5D3 ı 7D ı 50D(IR) ı 20D(IR) ı TS-E24 f/3.5L II ı 17-40 f/4L ı 24-70 f/2.8L II ı 70-200 f/4L IS ı 100 f/2.8L  Macro IS ı 40 f/2.8 ı 50 f/1.4 ı 85 f/1.8 ı 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 ı Lensbaby Composer Pro ı Rokinon 8mm ı 600EX-RT/ST-E3-RT

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile

+1
+10000
Happened to me last week After a night of shooting star trails and forgetting to reset the lockup :)

bschaefer

Sweet, thanks all. I definitely didn't switch it on purpose. I took a picture of some Thai kids and showed them the result. One got all excited and started pressing buttons. Perhaps that's what happened.

Any who, after reading about it, it actually seems handy.

Do you guys use the mirror lock up feature often?? I enjoy night photography and it seems useful.

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

+1
+10000
Happened to me last week After a night of shooting star trails and forgetting to reset the lockup :)

Its over Nine Thousand!  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

James Billett

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
    • Somerset Wedding Photographer
I use lockup feature if I know I'm going to be printing big (A3+) from my 5dmkII. Some people argue that vibrations are caused by the mirror flicking up when an exposure is made. Unless you need absolute image quality don't worry.|

Also if you're going to use mirror lockup often make sure your camera is dust free inside as with the mirror lockup you have a greater chance of getting dust on your sensor.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
I had this happen to me the other day after using FoCal.  I couldn't figure it out, so I 'reset all' and restarted . . . then couldn't figure why there were no CR2 . . . that got reset by the reset. D'oh!
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile

+1
+10000

Its over Nine Thousand!  ;D
I was posting and had entered +1000 but before I could post it, shutterwideshut posted his with a +1000! So I was forced to raise the bid! ;)

sawsedge

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Yes there is absolutely a difference in quality caused by mirror vibrations.  Mirror lockup definitely reduces the vibrations in the camera.

It's easy to test.  Use a sturdy tripod, focus accurately, use a remote release.    Try something at 1/8 and 1/15 sec.  Do this both with and without mirror lockup.  The greater the magnification, the easier it is to see the difference.

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
Sweet, thanks all. I definitely didn't switch it on purpose. I took a picture of some Thai kids and showed them the result. One got all excited and started pressing buttons. Perhaps that's what happened.

Do you guys use the mirror lock up feature often?? I enjoy night photography and it seems useful.

For night photography where you are generally using exposures significantly longer than 1/focal length guide, then mirror movement can actually cause a bit of unwanted vibration which can affect the final output, especially if you are going to be doing a large print.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Generally, I just use liveview.  Its the same as mirror lockup for most applications, and you don't end up wondering what happened.

canon rumors FORUM

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
The practical effects of mirror slap are quite shutter speed sensitive, the ones where impact ( pun intended !) are greatest being the 4th to 20th range which is where sawsedge has rightly suggested is best range to test. Once you get longer than about half second any vibration created is unlikely to show in the recorded image.

If you're shooting night shots then you won't see any benefit from locking up the mirror, especially with the small, light mirror in an APS camera. In the days of film I used a Pentax 6x7 - the mirror was massive and boy did that vibrate !! Mirror lock up was mandatory !
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 03:23:52 PM by Sporgon »

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile

I agree about Mirror Lock up being useful for slow exposures on a tripod.
Liveview is a good way to go too as it locks up the mirror. Use Liveview  ESPECIALLY  if you are doing multiple exposures for say, HDR. Much faster. The mirror locks up just once and all the exposures are made, and then the mirror goes back down. Very convenient.
Vibrations for the mirror are significant. I was in an abandoned factory a couple of weeks back and was using a carbon fiber tripod, with weigh on it for added stability. I was shooting on a solid concrete floor.  I could actually feel the vibrations from the mirror in the balls of my feet when I was doing my test shots. At first I thought I was mistaken...but I did some more tests and amazingly it was true. To me...that was significant vibrations from that mirror. Amazing.
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

canon rumors FORUM