August 21, 2014, 08:46:39 PM

Author Topic: Anyone using PerfXprints to calibrate your color printer?  (Read 806 times)

drmikeinpdx

• Canon 70D
  • Celebrating 20 years of naughty photography!
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Boudoir Photo
Anyone using PerfXprints to calibrate your color printer?
« on: January 09, 2013, 04:07:14 PM »
http://www.perfxprints.com/#Wheretobuy

It's time for me to properly calibrate my Canon Pro 9000 Mark II ink jet printer so that I'll actually use it.  I want to be able to use different inks and papers, so the manufacturers profiles aren't going to meet my needs.

I have a Spyder device to calibrate my monitor and I have a nice Epson scanner, so this product called PerfXprints looks like it would be perfect for me.  If it works.

All they sell you is the software and a color chart card for $135.  You put the card in your scanner to calibrate the scanner first.  Then you print a file with your printer and put the print into the scanner.  Supposedly the software generates an ICC profile.

The website is not completely clear on how it works.  The tutorial page is broken, which is a bad sign in my opinion.  However, you can order it through B&H, which is a good sign.

Has anyone tried this product or other products that work on the same principal?  I really don't want to pay nearly $500 for the ColorMunki that replicates two pieces of hardware that I already have.

Thanks!
Current bodies:  5D3, 7D, 550D, S100
Favorite lenses: 135 f/2.0 L, 85 f/1.8 200 f/2.8 L, 50 f1.4 Sigma, 40mm pancake, 24-105 L.
blog:   http://www.BeyondBoudoirPhoto.com

canon rumors FORUM

Anyone using PerfXprints to calibrate your color printer?
« on: January 09, 2013, 04:07:14 PM »

jondave

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone using PerfXprints to calibrate your color printer?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 04:56:46 PM »
First time I've heard of this. In my experience you get what you pay for, especially for equipment calibration. So if you want to take the plunge, just be sure you can return it if you're not happy.

The thing with with printer calibration is you're at the mercy of 1) the accuracy of your scanning instrument and 2) the quality/quantity of your target patches. Using a scanner, you'll be making icc profiles based on corrections of a corrected target. It's like post processing a jpg file from a P&S camera, if you know what I mean...

I would recommend you get a SpyderPrint, I think it's a bit cheaper than the Colormunki. Or better, get an X-rite i1 and use good quality refill inks. Believe me, the cost of the i1 is peanuts compared to the money you'll save on ink.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 05:09:51 PM by jondave »

drmikeinpdx

• Canon 70D
  • Celebrating 20 years of naughty photography!
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Boudoir Photo
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 12:00:29 PM »
Hey JonDave,  Thanks for pointing out the SpyderPrint.  That looks like a very good option and I'll probably pick one up after shopping around a bit.

I'm not sure why that one did not show up in my searches.  Guess that's why we have this forum!

:)
Current bodies:  5D3, 7D, 550D, S100
Favorite lenses: 135 f/2.0 L, 85 f/1.8 200 f/2.8 L, 50 f1.4 Sigma, 40mm pancake, 24-105 L.
blog:   http://www.BeyondBoudoirPhoto.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 12:00:29 PM »