September 15, 2014, 12:39:33 AM

Author Topic: Canon U.S.A. Introduces Two New Cinema Prime Lenses, Expanding The Cinema EOS Prime Lens Product Lin  (Read 6920 times)

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
Yes! I am so glad that Canon finally announces the 14-24L and the 35L II. Two lenses that people have actually been waiting for!

Oh snap. Where's my reading glasses when I need them.

It's a cine-lens.  It's not intended for you.  Please no more sarcastic comments such as these.  Your needs doesn't reflect the needs of others.

canon rumors FORUM

gabriele

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr page
The Canon Cine lenses are not targeted at Rebel owners shooting cute-cat videos to post to YouTube. Or C100 owners. The target audience is professional C300 and C500 users shooting high-end well paid work!

A Canon lens has a different look than a Cooke lens which has a different look than a Zeiss lens. Always use the right tool for the job! So renting not owning expensive Cine Lenses makes sence.

I never talked about taking videos with Rebel Cameras, but don't think who took professional videos with 5D Mark II and 5 III till now was a non professional. House anyone? Iron Man 2 anyone? ;-)

Also consider that there are lot of talented young people and filmakers who aren't that rich, but being rich doesn't mean you make nice movies. Talent does.

What I was saying is that industry thinking the cinema target is only ridiculously rich people, they price everything made for cinema with ridiculously high prices, that's why I was mentioning also the price of stupid bolts and knobs for RED cameras, so it's not about Canon specifically, I could mention lot of different brands that do the same.
Do you think is so expensive to build a stupid metal rail system? What about a stupid follow focus system? Why are rigs so expensive?
I really don't think it's about research, it's just about exploiting the market, I also think that if you know someone with very good optic knowledge you could obtain very high quality lenses for way less than €5000...and I'm talking about completely hand made stuff, considering that with such amout you could easily get an astonishing telescope with fluorite optics.
If you buy a screw, same diameter, same thread, same lenght and material at the hardware store (probably produced in the same factory) you will pay it 198233271239 less than getting it from RED or other cinema brands, so it's not just lenses but everything made for cinema...just my 2 cents.

P.S. The Samyang lenses I previously mentioned are cinema lenses.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 02:47:15 PM by gabriele »
http://flickr.com/gabriele83
Canon EOS 5D Mark II + EF 24-70L f/2.8 USM + EF 70-200L f/2.8L IS II USM + EF 85 f/1.8 USM + Samyang 14mm f/2.8

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
The Canon Cine lenses are not targeted at Rebel owners shooting cute-cat videos to post to YouTube. Or C100 owners. The target audience is professional C300 and C500 users shooting high-end well paid work!

A Canon lens has a different look than a Cooke lens which has a different look than a Zeiss lens. Always use the right tool for the job! So renting not owning expensive Cine Lenses makes sence.

I never talked about taking videos with Rebel Cameras, but don't think who took professional videos with 5D Mark II and 5 III till now was a non professional. House anyone? Iron Man 2 anyone? ;-)

Also consider that there are lot of talented young people and filmakers who aren't that rich, but being rich doesn't mean you make nice movies. Talent does.

What I was saying is that industry thinking the cinema target is only ridiculously rich people, they price everything made for cinema with ridiculously high prices, that's why I was mentioning also the price of stupid bolts and knobs for RED cameras, so it's not about Canon specifically, I could mention lot of different brands that do the same.
Do you think is so expensive to build a stupid metal rail system? What about a stupid follow focus system? Why are rigs so expensive?
I really don't think it's about research, it's just about exploiting the market, I also think that if you know someone with very good optic knowledge you could obtain very high quality lenses for way less than €5000...and I'm talking about completely hand made stuff, considering that with such amout you could easily get an astonishing telescope with fluorite optics.
If you buy a screw, same diameter, same thread, same lenght and material at the hardware store (probably produced in the same factory) you will pay it 198233271239 less than getting it from RED or other cinema brands, so it's not just lenses but everything made for cinema...just my 2 cents.

P.S. The Samyang lenses I previously mentioned are cinema lenses.

So you're complaining that Canon and RED mostly cater to rich people only?  I guess that's their business to cater to whoever they want to.  We can only petition them to create products that will cater to less fortunate but talented people or rely to third-party lens manufacturers like Samyang.  I am guessing Canon keeps an eye towards the target market you specified now and then.  I just think that they still think that the market is still not viable enough.  To think that Canon employs marketing managers with a lot of experience, I think they've already seen the market enough.

BTW, here's some good VDSLRs lenses from Samyang...

http://shashinki.com/shop/samyang-m-137.html?osCsid=e2c3bb46169b7b32aafc03aba5c6f10c

gabriele

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr page
BTW, here's some good VDSLRs lenses from Samyang...
http://shashinki.com/shop/samyang-m-137.html?osCsid=e2c3bb46169b7b32aafc03aba5c6f10c

I know Samyang cinema lenses, if you've read my previous posts till the last line  I mentioned them twice, I own the 14mm f/2.8 not cinema version and I think it's absolutely stunning...and about the moustache distortion which is not that strong and don't know if present also in the cinema version, well that's totally fixable with PTLens.

Here's a test of the 35 T1.5 Quick test Rokinon 35mm T1.5 Cine Lens for Nikon F

as you can see there's no focus breathing (Samyang and Rokinon are the same brand).

Lens Review Rokinon Cine 35 T1.5
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 03:02:03 PM by gabriele »
http://flickr.com/gabriele83
Canon EOS 5D Mark II + EF 24-70L f/2.8 USM + EF 70-200L f/2.8L IS II USM + EF 85 f/1.8 USM + Samyang 14mm f/2.8

canon rumors FORUM