August 01, 2014, 01:51:15 AM

Author Topic: What brand of ND filters do you have?  (Read 3383 times)

al-toidz photography

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
What brand of ND filters do you have?
« on: January 10, 2013, 11:23:50 PM »
I own several ND and graduated filters from Hoya and B&W varying from 3-10 stops including the B&W 10 stop ND filter.

My question is, if I am to upgrade from screw-on filter to a one size filter such as the LEE Big Stopper and other brands, which one is better if not best and why? Im planning to use it on portrait and landscape.

Feedbacks and comments are very much appreciated. Thank you.

canon rumors FORUM

What brand of ND filters do you have?
« on: January 10, 2013, 11:23:50 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: What brand of ND filters do you have?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 08:48:36 AM »
Lee is quite good, Schneider Optics (B+W's parent company) makes excellent glass 4x6" filters (almost all others are resin).  HiTech has a good reputation for a budget option, Cokin does not.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

al-toidz photography

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 02:30:45 PM »
Why do you say Cokin does not? Any particular reason. Is having resin instead of glass a bad thing?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 02:41:30 PM »
Why do you say Cokin does not? Any particular reason. Is having resin instead of glass a bad thing?

No, resin isn't a bad thing.  They're lighter and less likely to break, but more likely to get scratched. 

Cokin filters are known for their color cast issues. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Eli

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • http://500px.com/elindaire
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 02:50:41 PM »
Don't get Cokin unless you like purple photos ;)
Get LEE filters if you can, they're great quality.

al-toidz photography

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 03:10:18 PM »
@Neuroanatomist

Thanks for clearing it up.

@Eli

thanks, but Big LEE stopper is nearly impossible to find. I tried ebay and has been checking it everyday and nothing comes up. LOL, what do you expect, duh? Do you know any store/website or any other possible way to get a hand of LEE stopper?

Simba

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 05:10:56 PM by Simba »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 03:49:35 PM »

tphillips63

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 03:58:34 PM »
I just researched this quite a bit and decided on the following because I can use them with all my lens.  I compared these to heliopan, B&W screw on in 82mm size with adapters and the price is similar and decided on the Lee system.
I ordered from 2filter and the price was better than the ebay from above for the Big Stopper, $168.58
Lee 4X6 Graduated Neutral Density 0.9 HE Filter
Lee 4X4 Neutral Density 0.9 Filter
Lee 4x4 Big Stopper 10 f/stop LEE Filters GLASS ND 3.0 Camera filter
LEE Filter Holder, model FK holds 3, 4x6 or 4x4 filters
Lee Wide Angle 82mm Adapter Ring
Lee 77mm Adapter Ring
Lee 72mm Adapter Ring
LEE 105MM CIRCULAR POLARIZER
Lee 105mm front mounting ring for FK holder
Lee 3 Pocket Filter Pouch
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 05:22:26 PM by tphillips63 »
EOS 5D Mk III | EF 16-35/2.8L  | EF 24-105/4L IS | EF 70-200/2.8L II IS | TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II | EF 35mm f/1.4L | EF 40/f2.8 P | EF 50/1.2L | EF 180/3.5L | 600EX RT |

shutterwideshut

• EOS M2
  • IR and Long Exposure junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 04:02:39 PM »
Don't get Cokin unless you like purple photos ;)
Get LEE filters if you can, they're great quality.

Lee filters, indeed, is the best option.  :)

thanks, but Big LEE stopper is nearly impossible to find. I tried ebay and has been checking it everyday and nothing comes up. LOL, what do you expect, duh? Do you know any store/website or any other possible way to get a hand of LEE stopper?

The Lee Big Stopper is indeed very rare but I know one reputable store in Singapore which always have stocks of the Lee Big Stopper. I am not sure though whether they entertan orders outside Singapore but you may  inquire on this link: http://www.tkfoto.com.sg/index.php?option=com_contact&view=contact&id=1&Itemid=102

The Lee Filter pricelist in Singapore Dollars can be seen on this link: http://www.tkfoto.com.sg/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=178:lee-filter-pricelist&catid=115&Itemid=212
My Flickr
5D3 ı 7D ı 50D(IR) ı 20D(IR) ı TS-E24 f/3.5L II ı 17-40 f/4L ı 24-70 f/2.8L II ı 70-200 f/4L IS ı 100 f/2.8L  Macro IS ı 40 f/2.8 ı 50 f/1.4 ı 85 f/1.8 ı 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 ı Lensbaby Composer Pro ı Rokinon 8mm ı 600EX-RT/ST-E3-RT

Cycleguy

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 04:11:25 PM »
I have read the big stopper has a bit of a blue cast. Been thinking about giving singh-ray a try. http://www.singh-ray.com

They seem expensive but well regarded.

Simba

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 04:20:19 PM »
I have a few LEE GND filters and Big Stopper, as well as the Singh-Ray reverse GND.  I have stacked 3 together without seeing any color cast.  I would say they are equally good.  I have used HiTech before, but magenta became obvious if 2 of them were stacked.

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 05:54:14 PM »
I have read the big stopper has a bit of a blue cast. Been thinking about giving singh-ray a try. http://www.singh-ray.com

I think most, if not all of the really dark ND filters have a slight blue cast, but it does give a distinctive look that doesn't actually look unnatural. I still have my Singh-Ray reverse grad filter for the Cokin set and it is the one filter I miss the most since upgrading to Lee. I want to get the larger size to fit the Lee set eventually, but the exchange rate isn't good at the moment. While Hi-Tech are good for the price (and I still have those too), they aren't in the same league as Lee and Singh-Ray.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

steliosk

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 06:45:41 PM »
i'm having a B+W ND 3.0 1000 77mm with terrible magenta cast :(
also some hoya cir polarizers (pro1, super, digital)
hoya pro1 uv and nd8
and a cheap circular grad with a bit of green/cyan cast.

i didn't expect the B+W to have that awefull magenta cast though. The hoya nd8 has no cast at all!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 06:45:41 PM »

Canoner

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 07:15:38 PM »
@Neuroanatomist

Thanks for clearing it up.

@Eli

You probably won't get one even though you check the major retailers everyday for months  :-\.  I paid a little more and got one from the following ebayer in a couple of days. 8)  The big stopper is a cool toy for landscape photographers.  Get one and you won't regret.

http://myworld.ebay.com/minmin415/

christianronnel

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 07:44:59 PM »

I think most, if not all of the really dark ND filters have a slight blue cast, but it does give a distinctive look that doesn't actually look unnatural. I still have my Singh-Ray reverse grad filter for the Cokin set and it is the one filter I miss the most since upgrading to Lee. I want to get the larger size to fit the Lee set eventually, but the exchange rate isn't good at the moment. While Hi-Tech are good for the price (and I still have those too), they aren't in the same league as Lee and Singh-Ray.

You are correct about the blue cast of really dark ND filter.  The good thing about the Lee, Big Stopper for instance, the color cast is even throughout the frame.  I've had the singh-ray which had uneven color cast. 

I tried to save money when I got into photography and got a set of solid and a set of graduated Hitech filters.  What a waste of money that was.  Then someone recommended Singh-ray filters.  Did my research this time but the actual product was very disappointing.  Twice the price of the Hitech but the quality is similar.  Then I finally purchased Lee filters from 2filter.com

From my experience, I would have saved money if I had purchased Lee in the first place.  The US stocks are very good now and 2filter usually ships within 2 weeks.  But if you're looking at budget filter, I would recommend HiTech and just accept the fact that you will have more work in post processing.  I would also say that avoid Singh-ray if you can.  They are just as bad as Cokin but with better marketing gimmick (i.e., branding with famous photographers' name).
Don't take life too seriously; no one makes it out alive anyway

EOS 5D mark III | EOS 7D | EF16-35mm f2.8L II | EF24-70mm f2.8L II | EF70-200mm f2.8L IS II | EF70-300mm f4-5.6L IS | EF40mm f2.8 STM | EF50mm f1.4 | EF85mm f1.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 07:44:59 PM »