October 21, 2014, 02:11:28 AM

Author Topic: Canon Experience Stores Coming Soon [CR3]  (Read 24324 times)

well_dunno

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Experience Stores Coming Soon [CR3]
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 08:49:47 AM »
Following Apple and Leica? Second step after pricing in their direction...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 08:49:47 AM »

EchoLocation

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 08:55:59 AM »
The one in Tsim Sha Tsui in Hong Kong is already open and awesome. They have all the lenses on display, and every camera available out on display, ready to play with. I played with the 1DX and the 5DIII for the first time there almost a year ago. They have all the lenses on display and you can ask to use any lens and body combination you want. I did a test drive of the 24-105 on my 5DC which convinced me to eventually buy it.
Also, the store is up pretty high in a skyscraper, and they have the 400, 500 and 600mm lenses set up on different bodies and tripods to use. Every time I go to Hong Kong I love to step in there and play with all the fun toys!
The only problem is that everything is priced at full retail, so they are definitely not the place to buy things.
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 08:59:32 AM »
WHY DOES EVERY THREAD START WITH AT LEAST 3 PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT PRICE?

Okay, I'm better now.   ;)

I'm almost a sole Apple user, though I have to work with all OS' at work, and support the (Java) software I write on all platforms (even Linux at this point).  I have an Apple store near me, and, I can't stand the place, but it works out for me.  I can't stand the people that treat it like an Arcade, nor the staff that *always* have to ask one or two people my question, and sometimes they just make stuff up.

How it DOES work for me, is that I can bring in a product, and, for free, get a basic diagnostic done, and an actual quote if it's not under warranty.  I've gotten otherwise broken items at a refurbished discount, and, I can have stuff shipped to and from the store (warranty) without a hassle, or chasing down the FedEx guy.

Now, Danbury now has a Microsoft store, and it's a dead clone of the Apple store, right down to the incompetent employees that have to even ask someone else why the price doesn't come up as advertised (way to go there) . . . but they missed the point.

HOPEFULLY, if Canon does do a storefront, they do it the same way that Apple did (again, we have the prerequisite 2+ people complaining that Apple is just trendy/expensive, so we've met a quota) and at least hide a few professionals in the back room, and use the stores as a place to take in warranty/repair items efficiently, then we may have something.  Moreover, if they do things like Apple does (and *REAL* camera stores) such as free beginner lessons, intermediate classes, then they'll grow their brand, at least on the lower end until the middle end.

Let's hope they don't try to hawk their printers though ;D

*steps down from his soapbox, wiping the rotten tomatoes from his coat*
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

LukieLauXD

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 09:02:04 AM »
LED Tunnel, just what the doctor called for.  ;D

well_dunno

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 09:21:30 AM »

umm, that would be because at least 3 people in each thread are annoyed with Canon gear being priced above the competition. ;D Sorry, just couldn't resist! 

On a separate note, I think Canon is looking into a brand re-positioning a la Apple and Leica and that would be unfortunate for those of us who purchased Canon gear considering their market position as it was...

Cheers!

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 09:40:45 AM »
oh no if one of these stores come to scotland it will cost me lol

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 09:55:08 AM »
I hope they don't do this in Fort Lauderdale, or I will never be able to pay my house off...
What is truth?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 09:55:08 AM »

RC

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 09:57:16 AM »
This could be fantastic if it is stocked with all their lens, speedlites, bodies, and accessories.  Well maybe not so much with the big whites to keep inventory costs down. 

I have a feeling it will be Powershots, low-end printers, and Rebels, and maybe a few very basic low end lens. Hope I'm wrong, I would love to see a shop loaded with lots of serious gear.  I welcome a store in my town.

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 10:01:56 AM »
Why is it that when a company does something, everyone (ok, not everyone, but a lot of people) come out and say they are copying Apple?! Why, because the showrooms are going to be white?!

FFS, there was life before Apple you know! Such showrooms have existed for years, that's what shops are. Only difference is now you can go in and play, and then search for the best rate online.

I think it is great that Canon are doing this. As people say, the one in HK is excellent, and considering the amount of Body vs Body threads on these forums, as well as Lens vs Lens threads, what better way to find out for yourself than to go along to their showroom and take all the gear for a test drive. Brilliant.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

EdB

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 10:05:22 AM »
Ugh, Canon Geniuses or Canonistas.....

Pixelsign

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 10:26:22 AM »
great news. i'm realy looking forward to see such stores in germany!
5D II / EF 24-105 / EF 70-200 2.8

Jackson_Bill

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 11:01:23 AM »
Not good news for the small local dealers, though....

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 11:04:55 AM »

umm, that would be because at least 3 people in each thread are annoyed with Canon gear being priced above the competition. ;D Sorry, just couldn't resist! 

+1
(yes, we know this is off-topic)
Yes..that would be because I bought an Olympus OM-D Body 9 months ago for $999 and it is sold for only $50 under the list price now. I bought a Canon 5D III Body 6 months ago for $3499 and is can be had for $600-$900 below list now. I find that to be a LITTLE more than annoying. :-)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 11:40:19 AM by infared »
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 11:04:55 AM »

crasher8

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2013, 11:08:47 AM »
My secret weapon in getting my friend in Banff to switch from Nikon. But really, Canuckleheads get it first? go figure

wellfedCanuck

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2013, 11:16:35 AM »
My secret weapon in getting my friend in Banff to switch from Nikon. But really, Canuckleheads get it first? go figure
Too much oil money floating around Calgary? Another advantage is no PST, only 5% GST- so an 8% advantage over Toronto and the rest of Ontario right there.
Don't take my advice. Don't even take my advice not to take my advice.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2013, 11:16:35 AM »