April 19, 2014, 05:02:26 PM

Author Topic: Canon Experience Stores Coming Soon [CR3]  (Read 22574 times)

that1guyy

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Experience Stores Coming Soon [CR3]
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2013, 03:44:51 PM »
Any US stores announced?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2013, 03:44:51 PM »

Abraxx

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2013, 04:26:01 PM »
I really would like to see such a store opening in Munich  :)

'Photographers are the eyes of the world'
Focus on Landscape/Nature, Architecture, Technology, Wildlife, Street

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2013, 05:55:24 PM »
Soon there will be a few Jessops stores available in the UK for them to use...
I was wondering if they might be interested, as Canon bailed out Jessops the last time they were close to administration and own a proportion of the shares I believe.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

Marine03

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2013, 08:22:58 PM »
4 pages is to many to read.....

but seriously CANADA?   I mean I love visiting but you can't tell me that Chicago New York or London UK wouldn't be a better launching point
6D, 450D(collecting dust), Nifty Fifty, 565EX Flash

KitsVancouver

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2013, 01:58:43 AM »

but seriously CANADA?   I mean I love visiting but you can't tell me that Chicago New York or London UK wouldn't be a better launching point

There are some cities in Canada where there are huge numbers of wealthy people.  Vancouver has some of the most expensive real estate in the World.  Calgary, although not the biggest city in Canada, has loads of oil money.  My guess Calgary is a test store as the costs and risks of failure of opening a store in a city like New York would be quite high. 

crasher8

« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2013, 09:24:12 AM »
Just think of all the amazing shots of Rundle and Cascade these new Canon owners will achieve!

wellfedCanuck

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2013, 09:31:05 AM »

but seriously CANADA? 
One of the few countries with a relatively healthy economy these days... As a couple people have pointed out- Calgary is awash in disposable income at the moment.
Don't take my advice. Don't even take my advice not to take my advice.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2013, 09:31:05 AM »

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2013, 03:33:03 PM »

but seriously CANADA? 
One of the few countries with a relatively healthy economy these days... As a couple people have pointed out- Calgary is awash in disposable income at the moment.

So by the same logic, we're going to see the Canon Stores in Australia being set up in Perth, Karratha, Port Hedland, and Roxby Downs?
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

wellfedCanuck

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2013, 06:55:15 PM »

but seriously CANADA? 

So by the same logic, we're going to see the Canon Stores in Australia being set up in Perth, Karratha, Port Hedland, and Roxby Downs?
Well, Calgary has a population of 1.2 million and is a shopping destination for tens of thousands of oilsands workers who are unable to spend their money in Fort MacMurray. In addition, those of us from larger cities often save hundreds in taxes by buying in that province, so if all of those places you mentioned have similar economies- sure, why not.  ;D
Don't take my advice. Don't even take my advice not to take my advice.

DaynaLee

« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2013, 10:50:07 PM »
When Canon announced it's MAP pricing, I thought that would be good for independent camera stores that are being undercut by the big online retailers. MAP pricing would give the stores the chance to sell the cameras at the same price as the big online retailers, and the customer could walk out of the store with their purchase. The store stays in business.

I guess I was being idealistic and naive to think that Canon was instituting MAP pricing to help the small independent camera compete with the big online retailers.

These Canon stores will not only create high profile competition to the small independents, they will have the advantage of being the manufacturer and distributer of the product, giving them a cost advantage. That cost advantage will not translate into better prices for consumers. It doesn't at Apple stores! Instead it will be redirected towards glitzier stores in high traffic shopping centers that small stores can't afford. The massive Canon advertising program , which now works to support the sale of Canon products at independent retailers, will provide Canon with the foundation to promote their own stores and draw sales away from the small retailers. Those small retailers cannot afford to mount advertising campaigns on the scale that Canon can.

At this time, one of the major photo retailers in my area has been running ads on TV in conjunction with Canon. Instead of having that support from Canon, Canon will be working against them and they'll be on their own.

I'm sure that the Canon stores will be as sharp and glitzy as the Apple stores and the salespeople will be well trained on Canon products. The stores will probably be better stocked with Canon products than the small independents as well.

But I doubt that Canon stores will be carrying aftermarket and third party merchandize like Sigma, Tamron lenses, or Nissin flashes, or aftermarket batteries. The small accessories like lens hoods and caps, shutter release and flash cables...they'll all be premium priced Canon products, not less expensive aftermarket brands that work just as well.

And when the customer is trying to decide on a camera, the saleperson is not going to show you a Canon and a Nikon or some other brand. He's going to show you a Canon and a Canon. Not two comparable cameras at similar price points, but two different quality level Canons at different price points.

My greatest concern is the harm this will do to my local independent camera shop..the place I go to when I need a roll of seamless, or some sort of wierd cable or bracket or lighting accessory, the place where I can try stuff other than Canon brand.

So if they open one of those stores in my area, I'll go there, enjoy the glitz, try out the cameras, pick the brains of the salespeople, but when I decide what I'm going to buy, I'm going to keep my purse closed and head over to my local camera store and spend my money there. My local shop is a small shop, off the beaten path and is crammed with all kinds of gadgets and accessories. The owner told me that if Canon opens a store nearby, it would probably kill his business. I would hate to see that happen.

I hope Canon does not do this.

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2013, 02:20:22 AM »

but seriously CANADA? 

I genuinely LOLed at that
APS-H Fanboy

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2013, 10:26:05 AM »
I do not understand why this is 'news' of for that matter even special?

Do not most big companies have 'showrooms' or stores where they exhibit their merchandise?

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2013, 12:38:22 PM »
When Canon announced it's MAP pricing, I thought that would be good for independent camera stores that are being undercut by the big online retailers. MAP pricing would give the stores the chance to sell the cameras at the same price as the big online retailers, and the customer could walk out of the store with their purchase. The store stays in business.

I guess I was being idealistic and naive to think that Canon was instituting MAP pricing to help the small independent camera compete with the big online retailers.

These Canon stores will not only create high profile competition to the small independents, they will have the advantage of being the manufacturer and distributer of the product, giving them a cost advantage. That cost advantage will not translate into better prices for consumers. It doesn't at Apple stores! Instead it will be redirected towards glitzier stores in high traffic shopping centers that small stores can't afford. The massive Canon advertising program , which now works to support the sale of Canon products at independent retailers, will provide Canon with the foundation to promote their own stores and draw sales away from the small retailers. Those small retailers cannot afford to mount advertising campaigns on the scale that Canon can.

At this time, one of the major photo retailers in my area has been running ads on TV in conjunction with Canon. Instead of having that support from Canon, Canon will be working against them and they'll be on their own.

I'm sure that the Canon stores will be as sharp and glitzy as the Apple stores and the salespeople will be well trained on Canon products. The stores will probably be better stocked with Canon products than the small independents as well.

But I doubt that Canon stores will be carrying aftermarket and third party merchandize like Sigma, Tamron lenses, or Nissin flashes, or aftermarket batteries. The small accessories like lens hoods and caps, shutter release and flash cables...they'll all be premium priced Canon products, not less expensive aftermarket brands that work just as well.

And when the customer is trying to decide on a camera, the saleperson is not going to show you a Canon and a Nikon or some other brand. He's going to show you a Canon and a Canon. Not two comparable cameras at similar price points, but two different quality level Canons at different price points.

My greatest concern is the harm this will do to my local independent camera shop..the place I go to when I need a roll of seamless, or some sort of wierd cable or bracket or lighting accessory, the place where I can try stuff other than Canon brand.

So if they open one of those stores in my area, I'll go there, enjoy the glitz, try out the cameras, pick the brains of the salespeople, but when I decide what I'm going to buy, I'm going to keep my purse closed and head over to my local camera store and spend my money there. My local shop is a small shop, off the beaten path and is crammed with all kinds of gadgets and accessories. The owner told me that if Canon opens a store nearby, it would probably kill his business. I would hate to see that happen.

I hope Canon does not do this.

What you say is absolutely true. However the world does not work that way. The big fish eats the small fish... Sad fact.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2013, 12:38:22 PM »