September 30, 2014, 06:32:14 AM

Author Topic: Auto_focus Acting Up  (Read 2897 times)

Secretariat

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Auto_focus Acting Up
« on: January 12, 2013, 01:40:37 AM »
Yesterday,when I tried out my 1DX,there were times when the auto=focusing had a hard time working or not working  at all.A few times,I have to press the shuttet button(Both Vertical and Horizontal)harder to take a shot and there would be a few times when it wouldn't work.This is the first time that it has happened.By the way,this doesn't happen most of the time.Like I said,it was only the first time this has happened.It only happens about 5% to 10% of the time since yesterdayWould anyone out there know on what is happening.Is there anything wrong with the lens contact of the cameraOr,is there something wrong with the shutter release of my camera?You see,I tried out different lenses and still get the same problem.
Thanks.

canon rumors FORUM

Auto_focus Acting Up
« on: January 12, 2013, 01:40:37 AM »

ishdakuteb

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: Auto_focus Acting Up
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 03:29:38 AM »
i do not know much about 1dx but sometimes a tight lens hood could cause this problem also... have you try with other lens?

rj79in

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 03:47:48 AM »
What were the shooting conditions and what was the AF mode turned on in the camera? Check the settings for the Al Servo and whether it is on Focus priority. The shutter might not release till the AF locks on if that is the case. 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 03:54:40 AM by rj79in »

Secretariat

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 07:34:08 AM »
No,I am not in Focus Priority.By the way,for your information,it doesn't happen most of the time.It only happens from time to time,especially if I just turn on the camera.It started acting like this only since yesterday and that is what puzzling me.

Secretariat

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 07:36:09 AM »
i do not know much about 1dx but sometimes a tight lens hood could cause this problem also... have you try with other lens?

I tried it with other lenses and I still get the same problem so I guess that it must be the camera and not the lens.
Thanks.

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 08:24:10 AM »
It's just a remote chance but check the electrical contact pins on the camera.  Make they are clean and not bent or deformed.  I had issues similar in the past and after cleaning the contact pins with contact cleaner formulated for gold pins the issues went away.

Secretariat

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 10:38:33 AM »
It's just a remote chance but check the electrical contact pins on the camera.  Make they are clean and not bent or deformed.  I had issues similar in the past and after cleaning the contact pins with contact cleaner formulated for gold pins the issues went away.

Yes,I'll do that.Thanks,everybody for all your inputs.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 10:38:33 AM »

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 10:42:53 AM »
I have the same problem with both of my bodies, in low light and trying to AF on fast-action.  It boils down to the fact that I just don't think the 1DX's AF is as good as all the hype when it was first released, at least, that's the way I feel after having shot fall and winter sports exclusively with 1DX's.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 11:56:53 AM »
Our only recourse is to use fast lenses.  F4 is not fast enough for low light and in some cases neither is 2.8 but there is not many choices faster than that. ...waiting for the 1DX Mark II  ;)

I have the same problem with both of my bodies, in low light and trying to AF on fast-action.  It boils down to the fact that I just don't think the 1DX's AF is as good as all the hype when it was first released, at least, that's the way I feel after having shot fall and winter sports exclusively with 1DX's.

JPAZ

• 6D
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 01:47:05 PM »
While the 1dx is more weather resistant than the old camera body I had that developed this phenomenon, in my case it happened with more than one lens.  Turns out that the shutter release button had gotten dirt/dust in it.  There are tons of things on the internet on how to clean this yourself but given the risks, I opted to get it repaired.  Had the shutter release replaced (was out of warranty) and camera cleaned for less than $150.

JP
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 10:22:48 PM »
Our only recourse is to use fast lenses.  F4 is not fast enough for low light and in some cases neither is 2.8 but there is not many choices faster than that. ...waiting for the 1DX Mark II  ;)

Yeah, indoors I never shoot narrower than f/2.8.  The 70-200 f/2.8L II IS lens is probably the fastest focusing lens I shoot.  That sucker focuses fast!
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 12:53:51 PM »
I've had that happen on many cameras, it sometimes took me a while to determine what I was doing to cause it.  The 5D MK II was particularly bad because the depth of field button falls naturally under my left hand, and I sometimes pressed it.  The Nikon D800 had a similar issue, there are two buttons that the fingertips of my right hand press when holding the camera by the grip in my right hand.
I'd suspect its something simple, but it certainly could be a problem camera.  Its not going to be the lens or contacts.

drjlo

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 04:39:03 PM »
I have the same problem with both of my bodies, in low light and trying to AF on fast-action.  It boils down to the fact that I just don't think the 1DX's AF is as good as all the hype when it was first released

I believe this is true.  The Ai Servo AF on 1Dx and 5D III does not seem to warrant all the initial hoopla, especially in Ai Servo.  However, I just got my 5D MkIII back from Canon Service, where I had it cleaned and checked before the warranty ran out.  I did mention to them that the Al Servo mode seems to have tendency to misfocus, and the service summary mentions:

"Confirm autofocus to factory standard (Ai Servo).  It was found that the adjustment of the AF assembly was incorrect, causing the focus to operate improperly.  Electrical adjustments were carried out on the AF assembly.  Product function was confirmed."

There is no way to perform proper A-B testing of Ai Servo in exact same situation pre and post "AF adjustment," but I do believe the Al Servo focusing is working perceptibly better now, which is very difficult to quantify. If your recent Canon body is having unusually worse-than-expected Ai Servo performance, it may (or may not) be worth it to have Canon Service check it out before warranty runs out.  They probably need a cleaning anyway..
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 04:45:42 PM by drjlo »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 04:39:03 PM »