Gear Talk > Reviews

Review - Canon EF 50 f/1.2L

<< < (27/32) > >>

BozillaNZ:
Yeah, the whole reason why most of us hate the 50L because of the existance of the 85L  :P

vscd:
>To each his own

You should learn history.

You can love the lense, like I do love my 85L, but that doesn't mean it's worth it's price...

RLPhoto:
I wouldn't say the 85L is better, but its certainly sharper.

mackguyver:

--- Quote from: vscd on July 26, 2013, 01:49:03 AM --->To each his own

You should learn history.

You can love the lense, like I do love my 85L, but that doesn't mean it's worth it's price...

--- End quote ---

...and you should learn tact.

I don't remember saying "according to his ability" but thanks for the insult.  I don't remember saying it was worth it's price, either, but whatever.  If you love your 85, find a thread to tell everybody about how much you love it instead of wasting your time "hating" this lens.  It has flaws, but so does the 85 f/1.2 and EVERY other lens.  There is no perfect lens. 

Fotofanten:
I've used quite a few 50's, including the Canon ones (excluding the f/2.5 macro), the "Sigmalux", Oly OM 3.5 macro, Zeiss f/2 ZM, Rokkor, and every single one of them has been very different both in output and in use. The Sigma is really very great when it hits, but AF is so utterly unreliable that you can never rely on it at large apertures, even after proper calibration. That is a shame because the optics are very good. Even so, I still prefer the 50L even if it is not necessarily sharper than the Sigma at 1.4. Not everything can be easily quantified. The Zeiss was excellent, but I simply did not like the way it rendered. It was too "clinical". I find the 50L is amazing in every way: bokeh, color, contrast, build, weather sealing, reliable af, and most importantly, I really love its overall dreamy yet punchy signature. If you measure the value of lenses in sharpness only, then no, it is not worth it's asking price. However it's plenty sharp for my use, even wide open (in the centre).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version