December 27, 2014, 07:15:08 AM

Author Topic: Lens recommendations for t2i crop sensor  (Read 9227 times)

koolman

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Pictures Of Jerusalem
Lens recommendations for t2i crop sensor
« on: July 10, 2011, 07:26:35 AM »
Hi,

I have a t2i with 15-85 kit lens. The 15-85 is nice as a walk around - but a slow lens in general, and I'm very much missing a faster option. I tried the canon 17-55 - seems very costly( >$1,000!)  and bulky  for medium build lens. My auto focus was not tack either....

Any ideas ??

is there a way to calibrate auto focus on a lens - without messing the body up - and causing it to miss focus on other lenses ?
Jerusalem Photographer (canon t2i, 50 1.4, Tamron 17-50 non VC, canon 60mm, canon 35mm L,Canon 100L Macro,Samyang 14mm MF,Voigtlander 20mm MF)

canon rumors FORUM

Lens recommendations for t2i crop sensor
« on: July 10, 2011, 07:26:35 AM »

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
Re: Lens recommendations for t2i crop sensor
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 07:54:00 AM »
a) besides the 17-55 f/2.8, there's the 16-35L and the 24-70L, but more expensive...
Some people say the Tamron or Sigma 17-50 f/2.8, not as good, but nowhere near as expensive.
other than that, you'll be using Primes. the 50 f/1.8 is a bargain $100, the 28 f/2.8 around $200, 35 f/2 at $300, 50 f/1.4, 20 f/2.8, 28 f/2.8 get up to half the price of the 17-55 f/2.8. Also Sigma make an APS-C only 30 1.4 around that price too...

b) yes, and it's called AF microadjustment. But only on the 50D (not 60D), 7D, 5D and the 1 series. Otherwise, send your camera and all your lenses in to canon together, i have no idea what it costs though (only pros get it for free if they buy enough expensive stuff)
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

dr croubie

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 08:03:04 AM »
and if you want to go down the road of fast primes, want to stay really really cheap, and don't mind Manual Focus all the time, there's always a lot of M42 and other old primes easily adaptable to canon cameras on ebay, bargains for the bad ones, $1-200 for good sharp specimens (like Takumars and Zeiss)
Gear Photos

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 08:37:06 AM »
I tried the canon 17-55 - seems very costly( >$1,000!)  and bulky  for medium build lens. My auto focus was not tack either....is there a way to calibrate auto focus on a lens - without messing the body up - and causing it to miss focus on other lenses ?

The EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS is pretty costly for a non-L lens, but you're getting L-series optical quality and a useful focal length range.

As dr croubie points out, the T2i lacks autofocus microadjustment.  Slower lenses (like an f/3.5-5.6 zoom) mask AF issues because they have a relatively deep depth of field.  When you start using faster lenses, you might notice problems, but it varies by body and lens.  For example, I started with a T1i, 17-55mm, and 85mm f/1.8, both of which focused correctly on the body.  I then got an EF 100mm /2.8L Macro IS, which backfocused slightly.  Sending body and all lenses (still under warranty, at least) to Canon would have been the only option.  As it was, I lived with it for a while because I shoot macro with manual focus primarily, and I soon upgraded to a 7D where I could properly calibrate my lenses (FWIW, I use a LensAlign Pro for the calibration).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 11:44:16 AM »
Hi,

I have a t2i with 15-85 kit lens. The 15-85 is nice as a walk around - but a slow lens in general, and I'm very much missing a faster option. I tried the canon 17-55 - seems very costly( >$1,000!)  and bulky  for medium build lens. My auto focus was not tack either....

Any ideas ??

is there a way to calibrate auto focus on a lens - without messing the body up - and causing it to miss focus on other lenses ?

Calibrating a lens will not mess up a body.  The cost of having your out of warranty body or lens calibrated might be better spent on a upgrade to the 7D, which can be adjusted to tweak autofocus for individual lenses.  No lenses are perfect, and sooner or later, you are going to want perfect.

In any event, do not get confused by those who THINK that Canon calibrates a lens to a body, they do not!  They calibrate a lens to spec and a body to spec, but not to each other.

A refurb runs about $1400 direct from Canon, and by trading in a old broken point and shoot or film SLR, you can get another 20% off.  Then sell your T2i.

If you want a faster and lighter lens, consider prime lenses.  24mm f/1.4 L, 28mm f/1.8, 35mm f/2 or the pricy 35mm L, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, 100mm f/2, 135mm f/2.  There are more, this is just a few.

The fast zooms all have a lot of glass in them, and will seem heavy.  Your 17-55mm is likely the lightest weight fast zoom.

kirillica

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 01:44:01 PM »
Hm, calibrating in Canon services has cost smth about 30€. Well, you won't afford any Canon lens for these money, but at least 1 correctly working lens is quite OK result :)

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 04:17:09 PM »
Hm, calibrating in Canon services has cost smth about 30€. Well, you won't afford any Canon lens for these money, but at least 1 correctly working lens is quite OK result :)

Thats a very low price.  they won't even look at a lens in the USA for that price.  Even the lowest cost lens, the 50mm f/1.8L has a flat rate of $95 plus tax and shipping one way (to them).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 04:17:09 PM »

dr croubie

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 06:20:05 PM »

Thats a very low price.  they won't even look at a lens in the USA for that price.  Even the lowest cost lens, the 50mm f/1.8L has a flat rate of $95 plus tax and shipping one way (to them).

You looking at the right price list? my 50mm f/1.8 cost me €90, that's not more than US$130 even with the low value of the US$ these days...
I'm going to investigate what they cost in AU$, gotta ring canon some time this week...
Gear Photos

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 08:47:56 PM »

You looking at the right price list? my 50mm f/1.8 cost me €90, that's not more than US$130 even with the low value of the US$ these days...
I'm going to investigate what they cost in AU$, gotta ring canon some time this week...

You are Right, I was in error when I picked the fixed price for the 50mm f/1.4 service. 

zerotiu

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 10:55:58 PM »
I use 50mm f/1.8 , 85mm f1.8, and 17-40 L f/4 for my walk-around lens. You should try L , previously I use 10-22 and the kit lens for my walk around lens but the image quality of L lens is superb  :)

koolman

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Pictures Of Jerusalem
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 04:01:43 AM »
Thank you all for your input.

Question: Its not clear to me. The MF adjustments on the 7d are per Lens or per focal length ?

In other words can I specify the MF for 50mm of the 17-55 - and not "ruin" the 50mm say of the 50mm 1.8 prime ?
Jerusalem Photographer (canon t2i, 50 1.4, Tamron 17-50 non VC, canon 60mm, canon 35mm L,Canon 100L Macro,Samyang 14mm MF,Voigtlander 20mm MF)

dr croubie

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 04:31:39 AM »
With AF Microadjustment, you can choose to do either.

If your sensor/lensmount is misaligned, you can choose option 1, and every lens is adjusted by the same amount.

If only one lens is off, choose option 2, and you can adjust up to 20 lenses individually. But you can only adjust per type of lens, ie if you have 2 copies of a lens, then both will be adjusted by the same amount.

Personally, i'd use option 2 anyway, unless you absolutely know your camera is the reason all your shots front/back focus...
Gear Photos

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 10:07:38 AM »
Thank you all for your input.

Question: Its not clear to me. The MF adjustments on the 7d are per Lens or per focal length ?

In other words can I specify the MF for 50mm of the 17-55 - and not "ruin" the 50mm say of the 50mm 1.8 prime ?

Lens adjustments are not per focal length,.  You can make a autofocus microadjustment for all lenses, or for individual lenses, but not both. 

If you have a zoom lens, and set a adjustment at 50mm for that lens, it will apply to all focal lengths of that lens model, so, if your lens varies in focus accuracy from wide to telephoto, it will need to be calibrated by the manufacturer.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 10:07:38 AM »

AJ

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 12:44:40 PM »
I've had focus issues with my 17-55/2.8 IS as well.  On my 7D it required a large amount of adjustment (+18).  Strangely, on my 400D this lens focuses perfectly.

Koolman: one more budget-friendly option is Tamron 17-50/2.8 non-VR.  It's about 400 bucks.  I own this lens and I like it a lot.  It's easily my most used lens.  Deadly sharp.  But there's no stabilization of course.  The lens works great for indoor shooting with or without flash.On a drebel the Tamron is better weighted, while on a 7D the heavier Canon 17-55/2.8 IS is more balanced.

I also hear good things about Sigma 17-50/2.8 OS.  It's a little cheaper than the Canon.  I haven't used this lens myself.

Another option is a fast prime like Sigma 30/1.4.  I own this lens too.  It's got superb bokeh, easily matching or surpassing lenses like Canon 85/1.8 or Tamron 90/2.8 macro.  It's sharp in the center but the borders are weak, even when stopped down, so really it's useful for selective-focus shots only.  Somehow I don't end up using this lens very much.  I suppose it all boils down to personal shooting style.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 07:43:05 PM »
I've had focus issues with my 17-55/2.8 IS as well.  On my 7D it required a large amount of adjustment (+18).  Strangely, on my 400D this lens focuses perfectly.

Thats pretty common.  there is a tolerance for AF with camera bodies as well as lenses. If the body and lens are off in the same direction, it may be perfect, while if off in opposite directions, a large MA is needed.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 07:43:05 PM »