October 01, 2014, 08:51:02 AM

Author Topic: Deal: EOS-1D X for $5936 via eBay  (Read 7451 times)

qianp2k

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Re: Deal: EOS-1D X for $5936 via eBay
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 02:08:42 PM »
Grey market is one thing, but my recent purchase from BVI (5D3 for $2599) came w/o an eye cup and all  generic accessories (eg. battery, charger, strap, etc.)

After almost a month of back and forth, I was finally able to get a full refund.

A month to get a full refund....WOW

Thanks for sharing

You can file a case in eBay so BVI should not receive the payment until it resolved.  When I bought 5DIII from BVI, the listed item said has USA warranty and it has 30-day money back policy so I took their words granted on description.  I cannot resist $2500 price and my purchase is protected by eBay anyway.  So I don't have much to worry about.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 02:08:42 PM »

RoNx777

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 08:08:35 PM »
Grey market is one thing, but my recent purchase from BVI (5D3 for $2599) came w/o an eye cup and all  generic accessories (eg. battery, charger, strap, etc.)

After almost a month of back and forth, I was finally able to get a full refund.

A month to get a full refund....WOW

Thanks for sharing

You can file a case in eBay so BVI should not receive the payment until it resolved.  When I bought 5DIII from BVI, the listed item said has USA warranty and it has 30-day money back policy so I took their words granted on description.  I cannot resist $2500 price and my purchase is protected by eBay anyway.  So I don't have much to worry about.

I understood the risk and was willing to take my chances in receiving a Grey market camera, but the missing parts & aftermarket accessories are what trigger my return.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 10:16:28 PM »
In short, Canon needs to eliminate gray market, period. As well, they need to stop making their legitimate dealerships jump through a series of flaming hoops to get their instant savings back they're forced to give customers. It takes up to 3 months to get you IS back from them, but they're on you the second a below MAP price pops up any where. Not to mention, will hold special order product indefinitely, without notice, because of some sort of invoicing issues. They treat independent dealers like criminals when the real criminals are the ones selling the gray market machines, which are in turn, being promoted by sites like this.

So happy to have switched from Canon. I used to like them.

Errm, a little bit troll-esque?

Re gray market, how is the situation any different with Nikon, Sony etc? When buying gray, you just need to apply a bit of intelligence and intuition as to whether you'd be happy doing business with them. Low dollar, low risk accessory purchases may be fine with gray sellers, then there's gray sellers who allow local pickup which is going to be safer still, but I like to protect and reinforce my CPS status which requires purchase from authorised sellers. I will always do this with bodies & lenses, particularly an important big ticket item like a 1DX body, even if it costs a few hundred dollars more.

-PW

qianp2k

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 09:58:59 AM »
When you register a product in CPS, you only need a serial number and there is no info for where you bought from and price etc that are in regular Canon product registration.  I also called Canon CPS (as a CPS member) twice before and after I bought 5DIII from BVI.  They told me the same that Canon simply has no policy that you must buy from authorized dealers to be covered in warranty or post warranty services as there is no such item in End User Agreement, period.  However they do insist theoritically they can ask a copy of USA warranty card but in reality all persons I spoke to say in reality they usually don't ask as I experienced in person when I sent my S95 (lens unable to extend) and 60D (rubber peeled off around shutter) in services during warranty, I was never asked to include a copy of USA warranty card but only a copy of receipt to prove it's purchased within one year from a company registered in USA.  Both Canon USA and CPS told me that they no longer be able to tell a product is USA or grey imported based on serieal number.  Canon USA guy even told me they usually also cover imported grey products in service as courtesy.

Anyway for this 1DX I'd buy if I need 1DX if there is a USA warranty card regardless if it's authorized dealer or not that is really irrelavent.  I am very happy on my purchase of 5DIII on that unbeatable price  :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 10:03:31 AM by qianp2k »

caruser

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 10:34:29 AM »
http://www.professionalvideostore.com/product/2348/canon-eos-1dx

EUR 4629 for a 1DX? It doesn't seem probable that they manage to be 1500 cheaper than stores with a reputation, and nearly 1000 cheaper than other "grey" looking stores? Or if they really are professional and so cheap I need to order one straight away ;-)

Edit: Ok, it's without VAT, but still several 100 cheaper than stores with a reputation.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 10:38:15 AM by caruser »

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 02:37:57 PM »
I can't believe nobody's bitching that the 1DX price came down and they got screwed by Canon for paying full price.

Brett, that's because Canon are still charging the same amount for the 1DX -> Y550,000 at launch in March 2012 = $6,799, but the same 550,000 Yen today = $6,150 as the Japanese currency has weakened from Y81 = 1 US$ to >Y89.3 now.

For Europeans, the savings are greater as the Euro has appreciated +17% versus the Japanese Yen over the last quarter (that's a saving of almost one-fifth just down to 'Mr Forex' since Halloween!)

Now that is actually really interesting.  I didn't know that.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 02:08:07 AM »
To add a bit more info, on the subject, with a tangent comment.
Besides photography, my other hobby is fishing, not making a living of any one, but I eat the fish I catch. In our fishing community, is a well known fact and practice to buy fishing rods and reels from Japan and not US. Although the names are 95% identical for the reels made in Japan for Japan use (JDM Japanese Domestic Market) with the reel names sold in the US (USDM US Domestic Market), there is a difference in the quality of the reels made and sold in Japan, as better finish, better ball bearings, higher quality. There are days when all reels built is for Japan use, and other days when is for export. They do not mix them. Japanese people have a much higher quality expectation than the rest...national pride. Also if you watch the Yen value, for the same reel bought from a Japanese retailer you pay less than the one bought from US market.
Right now I will do the same practice for Canon 1DX. Have sent emails to my reel vendors in Japan and asked them to find and let me know of a few reputable Canon dealers. Will contact them and pay for the camera in Yen value through PayPal (have done it many times) that converts currency value. I trust that Canon cameras built and sold in Japan are higher in quality than sold here.

I have no way of knowing this but I am willing to bet anything that there is NO difference in the cameras sold in Japan or USA or elsewhere.... No wayyyyy. I trust your trust is misplaced. And are they all not made in Japan?
Btw I share your hobby of fishing.. :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 02:08:07 AM »