EOS 70D - old sensor tech
7D Mark II - new sensor tech
I agree, 7D mk2 should have a new sensor because with an old but upgraded sensor, it wouldn't be saleable.
700D will be announced this summer, with the same old sensor 550D had, it wouldn't also be saleable.
Think about 70D... its life cycle is 2-2.5 years. Who would buy it in 2014, especially after the 700D if it would have the same old sensor?
- Canon will release the new, ~25MP ASP-C sensor this year, with more focus points on the sensor compared to 650D
- 7D mk2 will get this sensor with a DIGIC5+/dual DIGIC5/+ processor
- 70D will get this sensor with a single DIGIC5 processor (maybe 5+ but I don't think so), just like 650D has
- 700D will get the new sensor
- 7D mk2 will be the "king" of ASP-C, with a performance like 5D mk3, with enhanced movie AF but no flip but touch screen (not sure)
- 70D will be a "bigger" 700D with some extra functions (bigger buffer, better battery, faster shutter, etc) with enhanced movie AF and flip/touch screen, maybe movie digital zoom feature
- 700D will get a slower shutter, smaller battery, smaller buffer, slower movie AF, no movie digital zoom, etc
Any other option would be a failure by Canon because these ASP-C sensors are 3.5 years old!