October 01, 2014, 06:46:49 AM

Author Topic: 6D weatherproofness, tested.  (Read 25571 times)

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: 6D weatherproofness, tested.
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 09:42:50 AM »
I think cameras, like watches,  are never warranted weatherproof, only weather-sealed or water-resistant...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 09:42:50 AM »

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 10:38:15 AM »
As this thread indicates, cameras may be weather-resistant, but no camera should be considered stupid-proof. 
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 10:56:11 AM »
None of them are weatherproof except the 1 series.  Their claim is drip proof but I suspect that  depends on where the drip falls!  Best thing to do is to always pack  a plastic bag in your pack along with a rubber band.  Slip the bag around the back and secure the opening to the lens with the rubber band.  You can opena s mall hole in the back and stretch tightly around the eyecup if you need to see clearly.  This still doesnt make it weather proof BUT it will protect most of the electronics.

The rice in the bag trick will work in most cases unless dirt worked its way under the buttons.

Gday.

I went out with my mates today on a rented boat. It was a crappy boat.
We stopped by a beach and I had my 6d + 8-15 fisheye and was taking happy snaps in the sand, etc, thinking ... weatherproof=sandproof. All okay there.

Hours later, we hop on the boat and it starts raining, mediumishy. I take my camera out of my waterproof backpack and friends say, "nooo... it's raining! Your camera will break! I say, Bah! The body and lens is weatherproof! I'll be fine".

Several hours pass, I'm still fine.
There's speckles of water on the fisheye lens pretty much everywhere, the camera has water also, everything is fine.

I would describe the amount of water on the camera .... "as if one had been hosed with water in a jovial manner while holding the camera". Something which I think, is not too much. It was definitely more water than I would expose my phone to, and certainly more than my laptop. But hey! This beast is weatherproof.

Then I take a video, and stop, and .. and .. omG! What happened to my Play button?! I press my play button and the liveview action gets invoked?... and .. AAAHH my right cursor button takes me to the menu?

Sigh.

In the end .... the buttons on the backplate are all confused with each other.

Now that I'm at home, I've lost the menu button, that does nothing, the AF select button will sometimes call the menu action, the right arrow calls the menu, the up arrow calls info. The left and bottom and set and info and Q still work. I haven't tested the others. I'm leaving my camera on a shelf (minus battery) for a day and then hoping it dries up and works again!

Otherwise, a visit to the friendly canon service man and hopefully they fix it under warranty. I've had it for less than a month. Maybe there was something wrong with its weather sealing when it was new.

NB: Once it got a bit sandy/rainy I didn't change the lens at all.
NB2: The fisheye works fine.

My suggestion to other 6D-ers. If your camera is wet ... press as few buttons as possible.

*sigh,
*goes and cancels next weekend's photoshoot.

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 11:03:36 AM »
One other thing people should be aware of are the effects of condensation.  Going from a cold AC controlled room into the blistering humid air or vice versa during the winter.

If you need to go from one environment to the other, it's best to put the gear in new ziplock bags with a desiccant pack before moving into the humid environment.  Gear needs at least 30 minutes to an hour to acclimate enough to prevent condensation from forming.

Condensation is actually worse that a few drips from rain as it can get inside the camera and some lenses pretty easily.  Particularly the 100-400L dust pump.  You don't want that one to fog up on the inside!!!

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 12:07:13 PM »
but no camera should be considered stupid-proof.

Are you actually that Nelson kid from the Simpsons series :-o ?

Mark Russell

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 01:18:47 PM »
If Martians were landing the Mothership in a driving rain, then yes.  Other than that, no way...

eyeland

• Rebel T5i
  • Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...
    • View Profile
    • Creative Consulting & Multimedia artistry ;)
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2013, 01:30:53 PM »
Are you actually that Nelson kid from the Simpsons series :-o ?
+1
5DIII+ML // 24-105L - 70-200 2.8L/2.8 IS II - 35/2 IS //\  AF/non-AF film bodies and lenses. (and half a darkroom in boxes:))

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2013, 01:30:53 PM »

Botts

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2013, 01:47:27 PM »
+1 for insuring your camera gear!  Then you don't have to worry about the weather when you're shooting!
6D, Sigma 35/1.4, 40STM, 50/1.4, 70-200/4 IS, 430ex II
T2i, 17-55/2.8 IS, 270ex

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2013, 03:02:55 PM »
Unless your insurance has an idiot clause..  ;)

+1 for insuring your camera gear!  Then you don't have to worry about the weather when you're shooting!

dtaylor

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2013, 04:09:06 PM »
The only really sealed camera bodies are the 1d series, with everything else it's a gamble.

No, with every SLR camera body from every manufacturer it's a gamble. That includes the 1D's, the Nikon D-whatevers, the Olympus bodies, pro lenses of every model and manufacturer, all of it.

Nobody in the SLR market tests their bodies and lenses using international specs, which is why nobody publishes that their bodies and lenses confirm to XYZ spec or can handle X amount of water/weather for Y amount of time.

This irritates the heck out of me because the manufacturers want you to think their products can be used in rough weather, but they don't want to deal with the warranty or maintenance implications of this. It's dishonest.

The level of sealing and resistance can vary quite a bit between models with the same ad descriptions. The 5D2, 7D, 60D, 5D3, and 6D are all described as "sealed less than a 1D", and their seal diagrams look almost identical. You would think that whatever "less than a 1D" means, they would all be the same. But in practice reports have been very good for the 7D, good for the 60D, but bad for the 5D2 and now possibly the 6D. Can't say I've seen much of anything on the 5D3 yet. Going by user reports there are clear differences in sealing between them, but nobody can determine that from the ads.

Not only that, sealing can vary over the life of your camera. With most real water resistant equipment you have to inspect and replace seals periodically. Nobody ever talks about this with SLRs.

It's stupid really, and the photography press (or a good lawyer) needs to start pressuring manufacturers on this point.

Eli

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • http://500px.com/elindaire
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2013, 04:16:42 PM »
Only a few lenses actually have that requirement - the 16-35, 17-40, and 50L (although using a front filter on all sealed lenses that take them is recommended by Chuck Westfall).

As well as the ones you've mentioned, doesn't the 100L macro require a front filter to complete the sealing? And 24-105, 24-70, 24L 1.4?

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2013, 05:12:32 PM »
But in practice reports have been very good for the 7D, good for the 60D, but bad for the 5D2 and now possibly the 6D.

Sounds strange since the 6d is built 60d-like but afaik with sealing at the lens mount and less potential critical points (few buttons, no swivel screen or pop-up flash, for the latter canon explicitly mentions that it'd result in better sealing (next to making gps/wifi possible)). Unless of course Canon has consciously worsened sealing for the 6d which might very well be possible if looking at the tech specs made to protect the 5d3 :-o

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2013, 12:22:29 PM »
If the camera is waterproof it will have an underwater shooting mode.....
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2013, 12:22:29 PM »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2013, 12:55:15 PM »
I'd also say that very few, if any, lenses will be dust/sand proofed. Maybe OK for short periods, but if you're going out into the desert for several days, be sure to take care to wrap it in plastic, and if the lens has an extending barrel, try and keep it from being totally exposed. Nothing like abrasive, alkaline dust to make it in the lens barrels to pay Canon some nice $$ for fixes. *sigh*
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

bchernicoff

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2013, 01:18:27 PM »
I used my 5D Mk III and 24-105 in light to medium rain for over an hour with no problems.
6D, Fuji X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 50mm f/1.2L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Canon 2x Extender II, Kenko 1.4x, 430 EX II, Elinchroms

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2013, 01:18:27 PM »