September 21, 2014, 08:40:45 PM

Author Topic: 6D weatherproofness, tested.  (Read 25310 times)

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
Re: 6D weatherproofness, tested.
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2013, 03:57:51 PM »
To complete the weatherproofness you also need to install a speedlight to seal the hot shoe.  I would have thought someone would have an aftermarket insert to seal off that part of the camera.

I used my 5D Mk III and 24-105 in light to medium rain for over an hour with no problems.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2013, 03:57:51 PM »

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2013, 04:05:38 PM »
To complete the weatherproofness you also need to install a speedlight to seal the hot shoe.  I would have thought someone would have an aftermarket insert to seal off that part of the camera.

I used my 5D Mk III and 24-105 in light to medium rain for over an hour with no problems.
;D
and then a big diffuser to seal off the flash. Or how about a little umbrella with a hot shoe attachment. This would seal off the hot shoe and shelter the camera too......
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 04:10:23 PM by Sporgon »

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2013, 04:31:49 PM »
The high end speed lights are already weather sealed once attached to the camera and locked.  However I like the umbrella idea!!!  Add a drink holder to it and i'm sold!

;D
and then a big diffuser to seal off the flash. Or how about a little umbrella with a hot shoe attachment. This would seal off the hot shoe and shelter the camera too......

that1guyy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2013, 04:36:44 PM »

rang

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2013, 05:18:48 PM »
I've used a couple of my 1DX bodies with a Sigma 300-800 in a downpour over about 4 hours with rain pouring off of the lenses and the bodies... with no problems during or after. I remember a conversation in the past where another shooter got mud on his 1DX body and just held it under the faucet to rinse it off.

I know it's an expensive alternative to a plastic bag but it enables you to keep on shooting at the worst moments when you "gotta do what you gotta do" with no hassles.

-rang.

oscaroo

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page.
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2013, 07:05:12 PM »
Camera still in rice bowl. Haven't moved it. I'll give it one more day.

That army video with the dust and water is not really a "real life example". He should keep the camera under the tap for an hour or two while doing the above button/knob/zooming/focussing actions.

I didn't think of the hotshoe. *shrug.

Turns out my creditcard provider gives worldwide insurance on all items purchased on it, for 90 days with a $100 deductible/excess. Yay! That's my plan B should the rice bowl not work. The T+C explicitly mentions accidental damage.
Why does everyone put a listing of all their camera stuff here?

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2013, 08:24:27 PM »
Camera still in rice bowl. Haven't moved it. I'll give it one more day.

That army video with the dust and water is not really a "real life example". He should keep the camera under the tap for an hour or two while doing the above button/knob/zooming/focussing actions.

I didn't think of the hotshoe. *shrug.

Turns out my creditcard provider gives worldwide insurance on all items purchased on it, for 90 days with a $100 deductible/excess. Yay! That's my plan B should the rice bowl not work. The T+C explicitly mentions accidental damage.
I hope it works for you....

I have had great sucess in the past drying electronics in an environmental chamber. Think of it as a box that is heated to about 130 degrees, warm enough to dry stuff but not warm enough to hurt the electronics. I wonder if something similar could be made with a food dehydrator..... low heat and a fan?????
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2013, 08:24:27 PM »

Ryan708

• EOS M2
  • Less bickering, more shooting
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2013, 10:26:01 PM »
im mostly posting so this shows up in my replys. But do keep us informed!
60D, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4, Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 VC, EF 50mm 1.8II, and a Sigma EF-610 DG superflash

oscaroo

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page.
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2013, 01:56:53 AM »
Gday everyone!
I have news to report.

I know I said I was going to wait until tomorrow before powering up the camera, but I didn't.
You see, my 8-16mm Sigma came back from warranty fix and I was itching to try it out on the 6d.

So .... The 6d works ... Fine!
I haven't tied the Wifi, but I expect it to be okay. The buttons and dials all work fine. I turned the GPS on but I didn't wait for it to lock on.

Hurray!

NB: Putting the camera in a rice bowl results in fine rice dust. It's okay though.
Fisheye also survived.

Now to put up a post comparing the fisheye, and sigma UWA on FF vs it on Crop.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2013, 02:22:32 AM »
im mostly posting so this shows up in my replys. But do keep us informed!

At least you freely admit it :-p but I'm also missing a "subscribe/unsubscribe" feature here.

Good to hear, I hope you won't do as Homer Simpsons does ("It did worked last time, why wouldn't it work next time?")...

oscaroo

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page.
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2013, 03:24:25 AM »
Good to hear, I hope you won't do as Homer Simpsons does ("It did worked last time, why wouldn't it work next time?")...

:)

I still do plan on going out when it rains, except, I will protect the camera more. Rather than me standing out on the open with rain all over taking photos, I may in the future have an umbrella.

Thank y'all for your help and comments.

Eli

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • http://500px.com/elindaire
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2013, 05:02:17 AM »
I haven't tied the Wifi, but I expect it to be okay. The buttons and dials all work fine. I turned the GPS on but I didn't wait for it to lock on.

Hurray!

NB: Putting the camera in a rice bowl results in fine rice dust. It's okay though.
Fisheye also survived.

Good ol' rice trick worked again! Just make sure you triple check everything, especially live view and mirror lock up, I'd probably take off the lens and have a look inside it just incase as well. But make sure you dust off all the rice before you do!

docholliday

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2013, 06:30:58 AM »
For all electronics, I don't use rice OR silica gel - they will only pull moisture out of the surrounding air until about 10-15% humidity remains. I prefer to use 1.5-3.0A molecular sieve with the item in a tight mylar pouch and heated to about 105F (or the max the item will take safely). It will pull down to almost 2%. Used mostly by chemists to desiccate fluids (pulling water out of petroleum in a column), but decently cheap. This is the place to by it from: http://www.sorbentsystems.com/ . I use their siilca gel boxes in my camera cases, but for any electronics I'm repairing that has been water exposed, sieve is the way to go.

Even on my 1Ds3, the "sealing" is nothing more than foam rubber strips and mylar adhesive tape at the joints. I had the camera sent to Canon CPS ages ago and they did a shutter replacement. However, when I pulled the camera apart recently, the "seal" tape was torn at the seams between the cover and body, but never replaced when they serviced it. So, I laid the ripped pieces onto a sheet of 3M 200MP, traced it out and replaced all the pieces around the camera. Then, cut new (denser) foam rubber strips and filled in all the gaps. Now, it's much more water-resistant than before.

Moral of the story is that even if it's been back to CPS, don't trust that they'll fully make it water-resistant if not necessary! I've hosed mine down with a garden hose with a 70-200/2.8L II on with no problems (and of course, a nice tight Heliopan filter on the front, even though not needed). Just remember that seals DO shrink and DO get old/brittle/crumbly over time. It is a combination of the film tape, foam rubber strips, AND rubber grips (on the outside) that make the combo more water"proof". The rubber pieces tuck down into grooves and some of the joints are between pieces. With enough water and/or pressure, water will still penetrate the joint.

NOTE ABOUT THE HOTSHOE: at least on the 1Ds3 - the area where the shoe is mounted is screwed down tight and "sealed" with some caulk/glue. As is the area around the lens mount. The DoF preview button is also sealed with this glue. There is no need to add any additional sealing on the 1 series. However, I have a small rubber hotshoe level that slides in - it keeps the top from getting scratched, gives me a simple level, and keeps water out of the left/right rail should it get dampened.

After seeing this, I wouldn't trust any of the lower cameras to any water - anybody who has a "survived it" story was just lucky and their body was probably pretty new.

In case somebody wants to see what the "sealing" looks like: go here. The light grey tape pieces are the Canon original seal (the tears are directly along the case seams!) and the dark tape is the 200MP that I was tracing/creating with.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 06:50:22 AM by docholliday »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2013, 06:30:58 AM »

stefsan

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2013, 07:20:13 AM »
I would not do with my 7D what that crazy military guy did with his Pentax cameras but I never had any troubles with shooting in heavy snow fall or light to medium rain (7D + ef-s 15-85/ef 70-200 f4 L) over shorter periods of time (up to 15 minutes). I would be VERY careful about changing lenses in those conditions though (best not to change them at all).
EOS 7D; EOS 40D; EF 70-200 f4 L; EF 70-300 L; EF 100 f2.8; EF-S 15-85; EF-S 10-22 |
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stefsan/

oscaroo

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page.
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2013, 04:17:45 PM »
Good ol' rice trick worked again! Just make sure you triple check everything, especially live view and mirror lock up, I'd probably take off the lens and have a look inside it just incase as well. But make sure you dust off all the rice before you do!

GPS works
Mirror lockup works
LV works
Wifi works.
Looks ok inside.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2013, 04:17:45 PM »