August 02, 2014, 03:37:23 AM

Author Topic: 6D weatherproofness, tested.  (Read 24029 times)

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
Re: 6D weatherproofness, tested.
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2013, 04:36:18 PM »
He probably only did it because they were property of the US govt.  I doubt anyone would do that with their own equipment unless they were going to buy something new anyway.

I would not do with my 7D what that crazy military guy did with his Pentax cameras but I never had any troubles with shooting in heavy snow fall or light to medium rain (7D + ef-s 15-85/ef 70-200 f4 L) over shorter periods of time (up to 15 minutes). I would be VERY careful about changing lenses in those conditions though (best not to change them at all).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2013, 04:36:18 PM »

coreyhkh

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2013, 05:21:33 PM »
Those Pentax Camera where his.

I used to have a K5 and I can say its extremely weather proof. I went backpacking for 4 days and it rained for 3 and I just left it out side my tent, I also used to wash it under the tap lol

Eli

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • http://500px.com/elindaire
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2013, 05:26:17 PM »
Good ol' rice trick worked again! Just make sure you triple check everything, especially live view and mirror lock up, I'd probably take off the lens and have a look inside it just incase as well. But make sure you dust off all the rice before you do!

GPS works
Mirror lockup works
LV works
Wifi works.
Looks ok inside.

Well then, all that's left to do is boast to your friends about how awesome your camera is, and happy shooting! :) hopefully it doesn't rain on Australia Day!

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2013, 05:55:38 PM »
I still do plan on going out when it rains, except, I will protect the camera more. Rather than me standing out on the open with rain all over taking photos, I may in the future have an umbrella.

Thank y'all for your help and comments.

I was out shooting in the rain last weekend... I carry a backpack with straps on the side that I can use to hold a golf umbrella over my head while I shoot. This way both hands are on the camera.

When hiking I have dry bags to put around gear to keep it dry, when canoeing I use pelican cases.... so far I have not had any moisture issues.

Glad your gear came back to life....
The best camera is the one in your hands

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2013, 06:11:51 PM »
I've shot in heavy rain with my 7D and no issues. I have no qualms doing so again with the 5D3.

aroo

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2013, 08:54:41 PM »
Several hours pass, I'm still fine.
There's speckles of water on the fisheye lens pretty much everywhere, the camera has water also, everything is fine.

Curious to know if you ever wiped the water off with a towel during that time span? Just getting rid of the excess moisture every now and again seems to keep a 7D + 24-70 happy even in light/medium rain or snow all day.

oscaroo

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page.
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2013, 01:31:23 AM »
Curious to know if you ever wiped the water off with a towel during that time span? Just getting rid of the excess moisture every now and again seems to keep a 7D + 24-70 happy even in light/medium rain or snow all day.

Nup. I didn't wipe it dryish at all. I had no dry clothes on me :) I was wearing a Rashie+Boardies which were also wet from the rain.
Why does everyone put a listing of all their camera stuff here?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2013, 01:31:23 AM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2013, 01:44:02 AM »
you should have recorded you bragging about it being weather proof and its subsequent death and your embarrasment then posted the vid on youtube which would have gone viral and you could buy yourself a few replacements with the proceeds...
APS-H Fanboy

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2013, 02:17:22 AM »
Pentax do advertise their DSLRs covered in water to support/ promote their weatherproof claim. Don't ever recal Canon doing this. I had a Pentax K7 for a short time during my transition from Nikon and used it in heavy rain with sealed lens - it was fine. Wouldn't dream of doing this with the 5D. I don't think the design of the EOS lends itself to easy weatherproofing - think top command wheel, top buttons etc.

eyeland

• Rebel T5i
  • Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...
    • View Profile
    • Creative Consulting & Multimedia artistry ;)
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2013, 02:33:25 AM »
GPS works
Mirror lockup works
LV works
Wifi works.
Looks ok inside.
Good to hear :)
I went backpacking for 4 days and it rained for 3 and I just left it out side my tent, I also used to wash it under the tap lol
:o
5DIII+ML // 24-105L - 70-200 2.8L/2.8 IS II - 35/2 IS //\  AF/non-AF film bodies and lenses. (and half a darkroom in boxes:))

docholliday

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2013, 07:23:36 PM »
... I don't think the design of the EOS lends itself to easy weatherproofing - think top command wheel, top buttons etc.

That's why the EOS-1 series has no dial on top, but buttons instead...

oscaroo

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page.
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2013, 07:52:17 AM »
Just an update.
My right cursor button stopped working. And then it started working, and then it stopped working, and then it started working, and now it's not working currently.

Going to Canon Oz tomz.
Lucky I still have my 50d which hasn't been sold. I can use that for my shoot on Sat.
Why does everyone put a listing of all their camera stuff here?

Studio1930

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Studio 1930
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2013, 09:36:16 AM »
I allow my 1D4 and 1DX to get wet if need be but I don't allow heavy rain if it can be avoided. 

Now I would have no issue with hosing down a Pentax but then again I wouldn't bother shooting with it before or after anyways, LOL.  ;D
-Darrin
Studio 1930
www.studio1930.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2013, 09:36:16 AM »

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2013, 04:34:44 PM »
I allow my 1D4 and 1DX to get wet if need be but I don't allow heavy rain if it can be avoided. 

Now I would have no issue with hosing down a Pentax but then again I wouldn't bother shooting with it before or after anyways, LOL.  ;D

No doubt the military guy was happy to abuse his cameras like that because he was able to pick them up on eBay for very little. It's a shame that a seriouly good camera like the K5 depreciates so much. It just goes to show that in the dslr market if it's not Canon or Nikon people won't pay the money. This is why Pentax won't produce a FF camera - they'd end up having to drop the price too much to move them.  :(

Niterider

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2013, 03:15:29 PM »
Just an update.
My right cursor button stopped working. And then it started working, and then it stopped working, and then it started working, and now it's not working currently.

Going to Canon Oz tomz.
Lucky I still have my 50d which hasn't been sold. I can use that for my shoot on Sat.

You might want to run to a local camera shop and have them put a working battery into the camera. Sometimes, moisture/water can damage a battery and cause errors similar to the one you are having. I got hit by a wave trying to trespass around a gate. I immediately took out the battery and put it in my pocket. I made sure the camera was dry, but upon placing the battery back in a day or two later, I had functionality issues with certain buttons on the camera. A new battery fixed this and I have not had an issue since.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2013, 03:15:29 PM »