October 31, 2014, 04:32:18 PM

Author Topic: Have a NEX body? Make your EF lenses sharper and faster! - apparantly  (Read 6810 times)

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Have a NEX body? Make your EF lenses sharper and faster! - apparantly
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 11:21:06 AM »
As novel as this Metabones Speed Booster is, I can't imagine it working all that well, and if anything, worse than a FF lens on an NEX with an EOS adapter with no optical telecompressor if the mainstream manufacturers product lineup is anything to go by.

In all the comparisons I've seen it's done very well and most of the reviewers were incredibly skeptical at first.  I think it's huge for FS100/FS700 users and will be huge for the MFT mount Blackmagic Design cinema camera. 

Also, people with lower end NEX cameras can make their cameras full frame in a jiffy.

Here is a full review, the positives outweigh the negatives by a longshot: http://www.eoshd.com/content/9485/metabones-speed-booster-adapter-full-review
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 11:21:06 AM »

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 11:22:49 AM »
If you have an Sony NEX camera and a bag of EF lenses this metabones adaptor makes some startling claims...
An EOS M killer?
Primarily for video use, why not stills too though?

Product page:

http://www.metabones.com/product/speed-booster

Discussion pages:

http://philipbloom.net/2013/01/13/speedbooster/

Paulie now I'm glad the BMD camera didn't show up, I want the MFT version with one of these things!
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 11:38:03 AM »
Are they launching an MFT version?  Interesting idea, I guess it's essentially a MFT image circle for that sensor anyway, my reservations would be the lack of decent MFT video lenses (no fast zooms for example) it'll be funny seeing a BMD camera with all the various silliness that MFT users adapt to their cameras...

Grummbeerbauer

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 12:46:28 AM »
At first, I was skeptical about the possible quality of such a solution. But so was Roger, the Lensrentals guy.
Read his take on the Metabones adapter:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/01/metabones-magic

Looks pretty damned good to me. :-)

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 01:19:33 PM »
i have a friend that's been using a prototype for a few weeks now. he tells me it's not necessarily perfect but that it's really very interesting. this one is, apparently, worth watching. 

pharp

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 09:08:36 AM »
An MFT version is in the works, but so is a Canon M version. Now, if Canon steps up their game with the M series (especially AF) - they may really have something. Get FF FOV and one extra stop using an EF lens on the  M - great! Come on Canon - give us an NEX IQ mirrorless. Adapter should be less than NEX version as well (maybe ~$400) - no chip.

http://www.metabones.com/sony/questions
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 09:28:49 AM by pharp »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 07:08:32 PM »
is it just me or does anybody else wish there was something like this for full frame
imagine a 70-200 f2.8L IS II
becomes a 50-143 f2 IS  :o
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 07:08:32 PM »

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 08:00:18 PM »
is it just me or does anybody else wish there was something like this for full frame

Anything that was like that would have to start its life as a medium format lens -- or, at least, have an image circle large enough to be de-magnified.

I don't know what lenses are like in the medium format world, but I can guarantee you that anything comparable to a 70-200 f/2.8 IS would cost more than a Great White. Hasselblad, for example, sells their 50-110 f/3.5-4.5 for $5,595....

Cheers,

b&

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 08:22:27 PM »

Anything that was like that would have to start its life as a medium format lens -- or, at least, have an image circle large enough to be de-magnified.

I don't know what lenses are like in the medium format world, but I can guarantee you that anything comparable to a 70-200 f/2.8 IS would cost more than a Great White. Hasselblad, for example, sells their 50-110 f/3.5-4.5 for $5,595....

Cheers,

b&

I know :(
thats why i used the word wish  :'(
APS-H Fanboy

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 08:43:14 PM »
thats why i used the word wish  :'(

Well, in that case, why hold back?

I wish for a camera the size of an iPhone, with a sensor the same dimensions as the case, with a built-in 8-2000 f/0.8 lens (that, of course, doesn't add to the volume of the camera when not in use). Oh -- and the lens should have full movements and at least ten stops of IS, and the camera itself should have a gigapixel sensor and a dynamic range of 20 stops and a maximum ISO of like a million or so with noise at that ISO comparable to a 5DIII at ISO 100.

And, yes. Of course! This camera should be delivered by a flying unicorn pony. I mean, like duh! Do you really have to ask?

Cheers,

b&

P.S. Yes, I'll be needing to keep the pony, too.... b&

tcmatthews

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 09:12:32 PM »
For some reason I am just not interested.  I think I would rather buy a metabones adapter capable of maintaining a full frame image circle and is self update-able.  So that if Sony releases a full frame NEX I could use my EF lenses on it as well as my NEX6 

I have a manual adapter and all of my EF lenses are just huge on a NEX6.  Almost as ridiculous as putting my EX430 II flash.    The flash does work as a manual flash at least.  They also defeat the purpose of having a small camera.  But I do like using my dads 135F2.5 FD, I would  be interested if they made a manual Canon FD adapter to breath new life in those old lenses.   But a EF adapter I think I will pass for the price they are asking.
6D, 60D, Rebel XS, EF-S 15-85,  EF 70-200f4L, EF 100f2.8L,  Tamron 70-300VC,  Tamaron 28-75f2.8,   EF 40f2.8,  EF 50f1.8, EF 85f1.8, EF 24mmf2.8IS  EOS M 22f2, 18-55, EOS M-EF adapter, Nex6,  SEL50f18,  SEL1018,  DN 30f2.8, adpaters and Fd and M42 lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 09:12:32 PM »