August 01, 2014, 05:16:47 AM

Author Topic: Recommendations for light meter?  (Read 1246 times)

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Recommendations for light meter?
« on: January 14, 2013, 06:33:43 PM »
Hi all,

I'm thinking it might be nice to have a handheld light meter...especially for my video shooting with the 5D3.

What are some good choices, and of course, reasonable price is nice.

Do these things also tell you the color temperature when taking a reading?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

canon rumors FORUM

Recommendations for light meter?
« on: January 14, 2013, 06:33:43 PM »

digital paradise

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Zenon Char Photography
Re: Recommendations for light meter?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 07:03:18 PM »
Sekonic L-358 is a very good and popular unit. I own one. The particular one does not do a temp reading. Don't know about others but fi they do they will be expensive.   

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 03:12:34 PM »
Sekonic L-358 is a very good and popular unit. I own one. The particular one does not do a temp reading. Don't know about others but fi they do they will be expensive.

Thanks for the reply!!

How would you rate something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007KQQUQ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Looks like it does color temperature along with everything else...?

digital paradise

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Zenon Char Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 09:02:42 PM »
I don't know anything about this manufacturer. Where do you see that it reads colour temp? It will give you correct camera settings for both flash and ambient light. So does my Sekonic.

Danielle

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 09:05:54 PM »
If you want a meter that reads degrees kelvin, you'll have to spend a relatively serious amount. Seconic have one, its not cheap. Look up their site.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 09:09:54 PM »
If you want a meter that reads degrees kelvin, you'll have to spend a relatively serious amount. Seconic have one, its not cheap. Look up their site.

You're not kidding.

I just found this one here:

http://www.amazon.com/Sekonic-PRODIGI-C-500-Color-Meter/dp/B0017KI9LE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3V9PVCC4ABLEP&coliid=I2MJYV84FJJKZX
'
A bit over $1216....

ouch.

EdB

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 10:07:59 PM »
I don't know anything about this manufacturer. Where do you see that it reads colour temp? It will give you correct camera settings for both flash and ambient light. So does my Sekonic.

Gossen has been around a long time and makes a quality product.....at least they used too, my Gossen is 30 years old and still works perfectly. The meter in the link does not do color temp.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 10:07:59 PM »

friedrice1212

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 10:58:08 AM »
A bit off topic here, but I've been having trouble exposing with Velvia 50 film because of the narrow dynamic range. Will a good light meter help me or the metering inside a digital camera like the 5D2 is good enough? Thanks!

EdB

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 12:16:50 PM »
A bit off topic here, but I've been having trouble exposing with Velvia 50 film because of the narrow dynamic range. Will a good light meter help me or the metering inside a digital camera like the 5D2 is good enough? Thanks!

A good light meter will help with exposing film well. There are basically two ways to meter, incidence and reflected. Some hand held meters do both, others do only one such as a spot meter. Reflected meters work the same way as an in camera meter and can be fooled.

An incident meter measures the light falling ON the subject and will offer the easiest method of getting exposure right as long as the meter is pointed at the camera and the light hitting it is the same as what is falling on your subject.

I also used to underexpose chrome film by about 1/3 stop, it gives better saturation that way.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 12:16:50 PM »