April 16, 2014, 09:33:49 PM

Author Topic: Is the 5D Mark iii a considerable enough upgrade from the 5D Mark ii?  (Read 4162 times)

Lyric

I am new here and have my first question  :)

Is the 5D Mark iii a considerable enough upgrade from the 5D Mark ii?

Considering purchasing a 5D Mark iii and currently I own the 5D Mark ii. So basically I have the money and plenty of great lenses so I would like to upgrade to the 5D Mark iii but I wondering if it is worth the money and is it worth upgrading. I have my opinoins but I would like to hear others on this topic. Going from a 5D Mark ii to a 5D Mark iii will I really be gaining that much? And lastly is it worth it?

Thank you everyone

canon rumors FORUM

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Is the 5D Mark iii a considerable enough upgrade from the 5D Mark ii?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 02:54:57 PM »
Depends entirely on what you shoot and what your needs are...  If you shoot mainly landscapes from a tripod, I'd just keep the 5DII.  If you shoot moving subjects, or would significantly benefit by a bit less high-ISO noise, the 5DIII is a significant upgrade.  IMO, the 5DII produced excellent IQ, and the 5DIII offers only a marginal improvement on that.  It was the other attributes of the 5DII that I found lacking - autofocus speed and accuracy, in particular, and fps to a lesser extent - and the 5DIII is a major upgrade in those areas.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Wildfire

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 02:59:36 PM »
I would say yes, the 5D3 is a considerable upgrade from the 5D2. In fact, the Canon 6D is a pretty decent upgrade from the 5D2... But it all comes down to your needs as a shooter.

Does the autofocus system of the 5D2 frustrate you? If you frequently shoot moving subjects, the 5D3 will increase your keeper rate by a HUGE amount. If you're looking for better autofocus than the 5D2 provides, the 5D3 is worth the money just for the AF system alone, hands down.

Does the high-ISO noise of the 5D2 bother you a lot? If so, then both the 5D3 and the 6D are both worth upgrading to. The 5D3 and 6D provide useable images at ISO 12800 (I'd recommend shooting in RAW though) while the 5D2's images start looking REALLY grainy past 3200.

In my opinion, those are two of the biggest issues with the 5D2. If you primarily shoot in the studio or on a tripod where autofocus and high-ISO noise aren't a concern, then you'll probably be most happy staying with the 5D2.

AudioGlenn

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 03:09:36 PM »
I agree with the above posts.  what do you shoot?  What are the problems you are encountering with your current camera?  what upgrades are you looking for?
5D mkIII  |  40 f/2.8 | 8-15 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 600ex-rt | 430 ex ii | EOS M+22mm f/2 | EF to EF-M adapter

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 03:17:10 PM »
Other posters have already attested to the its improved AF for moving objects, frame rates, higher ISO noise, etc.  But another major advantage tha I like is shooting portraits/stills and NOT using the center AF point.  With the 5D II, the camera's in-focus rate was low when shooting with fast primes.  It is MUCH better on the 5D III. 

Whether or not it is worth is based on how much you'd have to spend on the upgrade.  The net cost for me was about 1300 (selling the 5D II and buying the 5D III).  It was worth that to me. 

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 03:50:26 PM »
Like everyone else has said already: it all depends. The MarkIII is a very nice camera and a good upgrade from the MarkII in my opinion. AF and slightly more solid feel are the main aspects that make me say that. The other great thing about is that it really is not that much different from the MarkII.

And that is also the reason why decided against upgrading. The AF in my Mark II is good enough for me and so is everything else. If my photography side business makes me enough money this year I may add it as a second body. Otherwise I don't see it happening and it's not necessary.

I happen to disagree with others who suggested the 6D as an alternative. That one to me would be a step backwards. 1/4000 and 1/180 sync would make that a no go for me. That and the form factor.
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

Lyric

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 03:52:47 PM »
My line of photography goes from Landscape, Nature, Street Photography, Macro and some others. One thing that grabbed my attention about the 5D Mark iii is the autofocus and iso. I myself felt it was enough reason to take the jump since I have the money but was questioning it. I always wanted more than just one center AF point on the 5D Mark ii and 5D Mark iii makes up for the autofocus plenty and plus the iso performance.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 03:52:47 PM »

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 03:53:40 PM »
Why not consider the 6D if you are a hobbyist? From an IQ/ISO perspective, it is on par or better than the 5diii offering lower high ISO noise. It can also focus in much darker situations with it's center point.

However the 5diii has several features that appeals to professionals. I am not a pro and if I had a choice as a hobbyist with it's ipad integration, I'd own a 6D instead of a 5diii and save $1500 to plonk on some nice lenses.

as everyone else says... it depends what you shoot.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

Nelu

• PowerShot G16
  • 5D Mark III,5D Mark II,7D
    • View Profile
    • www.nelugoia.com
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 03:55:35 PM »

Considering purchasing a 5D Mark iii and currently I own the 5D Mark ii. So basically I have the money and plenty of great lenses so I would like to upgrade to the 5D Mark iii but I wondering if it is worth the money and is it worth upgrading. I have my opinoins but I would like to hear others on this topic. Going from a 5D Mark ii to a 5D Mark iii will I really be gaining that much? And lastly is it worth it?

Thank you everyone

Hello and welcome!

This is also my first post but I think I can contribute with a relevant answer because I have both these two cameras and a 7D.
As some others already said, it depends on what you shoot. From my experience, if you shoot mainly landscapes you could save your money for a couple of awesome lenses because you will see no real gain from the Mark III. Canon 5D Mark II is also a great camera for such a purpose.

Now, if you shoot anything in fast motion which requires a fast burst, a reliable focus and high ISO performance (indoor sports) , there is no doubt about that, go for the Mark III.

If you shoot anything in fast motion which requires a fast burst, a reliable focus, there is no need for high ISO performance but you need the reach of a cropped sensor (like bird photography), a Canon 7D would do the job quite well.

For anything else (weddings, portraits,kids, etc), especially shot in low light conditions, the Canon 5D Mark III would be the best choice because of the great autofocus capabilities.

Frankly I don`t believe that the Mark III has an extra stop gain at high ISO compared to the Mark II; maybe half of stop. I do a lot of indoor sports photography (soccer and basketball) and I can tell you that using the right lens for the job is more important than buying a new camera.
IF they are in focus (please not the IF:)), my photos taken with the Mark II camera and the Canon EF 135mm f/2.0 lens at ISO 3200 look better than the ones taken with the Mark III at ISO 6400 and f/2.8 with Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 Mark II IS.
Yes, the first lens is a prime while the second one is a zoom but that is an awesome quality zoom.

The focusing system on those two cameras cannot be compared; Mark II is primitive while Mark III is simply unbelievable.

I would suggest to rent the Mark III for a couple of days or a week and then you`ll see if it makes any difference for your kind of photography.

Cheers:)

Nelu
Adobe Certified Expert Photoshop CS6

Lyric

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 04:17:32 PM »
Why not consider the 6D if you are a hobbyist? From an IQ/ISO perspective, it is on par or better than the 5diii offering lower high ISO noise. It can also focus in much darker situations with it's center point.

However the 5diii has several features that appeals to professionals. I am not a pro and if I had a choice as a hobbyist with it's ipad integration, I'd own a 6D instead of a 5diii and save $1500 to plonk on some nice lenses.

as everyone else says... it depends what you shoot.

Well I wouldn't say I am just a hobbyist as I show and sometimes sale some of my photographs in galleries. I also have my own buisiness and shoot for myself but others as well. My main photography is Landscape, Street Photography and others. But I do shoot for local school sports teams and some local businesses as well.

I do not like to think that I am making money off my work but I do tend to as well.

I have looked at the 6D but I am very frustrated toward the body. The body does not feel so great in my hands and it feels to small like a miniture baby camera. I like the size of my 5D Mark ii and probably the smallest body I like is the 7D. The 6D like I said is well sort of ugly and I cannot stand the layout on the back. I like a big camera because it fits my hands just right and I prefer it heavy and a little big like I am currently using. There is also some technical specs I did not like about the 6D but I cannot remember them at this time right now.

But I feel the 5D Mark iii will be a great move. The 6D seems cheap and I honestly think it's overpriced as well. Same thing with the D600, cheap and to small. Although the D600 does look and feel cheaper.

Lyric

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 04:19:15 PM »

Thank you everyone

Hello and welcome!

This is also my first post but I think I can contribute with a relevant answer because I have both these two cameras and a 7D.
As some others already said, it depends on what you shoot. From my experience, if you shoot mainly landscapes you could save your money for a couple of awesome lenses because you will see no real gain from the Mark III. Canon 5D Mark II is also a great camera for such a purpose.

Now, if you shoot anything in fast motion which requires a fast burst, a reliable focus and high ISO performance (indoor sports) , there is no doubt about that, go for the Mark III.

If you shoot anything in fast motion which requires a fast burst, a reliable focus, there is no need for high ISO performance but you need the reach of a cropped sensor (like bird photography), a Canon 7D would do the job quite well.

For anything else (weddings, portraits,kids, etc), especially shot in low light conditions, the Canon 5D Mark III would be the best choice because of the great autofocus capabilities.

Frankly I don`t believe that the Mark III has an extra stop gain at high ISO compared to the Mark II; maybe half of stop. I do a lot of indoor sports photography (soccer and basketball) and I can tell you that using the right lens for the job is more important than buying a new camera.
IF they are in focus (please not the IF:)), my photos taken with the Mark II camera and the Canon EF 135mm f/2.0 lens at ISO 3200 look better than the ones taken with the Mark III at ISO 6400 and f/2.8 with Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 Mark II IS.
Yes, the first lens is a prime while the second one is a zoom but that is an awesome quality zoom.

The focusing system on those two cameras cannot be compared; Mark II is primitive while Mark III is simply unbelievable.

I would suggest to rent the Mark III for a couple of days or a week and then you`ll see if it makes any difference for your kind of photography.

Cheers:)

Nelu

Thanks and I might just give that a shot and rent one for a bit.

infared

• 5D Mark III
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 04:31:52 PM »
Depends entirely on what you shoot and what your needs are...  If you shoot mainly landscapes from a tripod, I'd just keep the 5DII.  If you shoot moving subjects, or would significantly benefit by a bit less high-ISO noise, the 5DIII is a significant upgrade.  IMO, the 5DII produced excellent IQ, and the 5DIII offers only a marginal improvement on that.  It was the other attributes of the 5DII that I found lacking - autofocus speed and accuracy, in particular, and fps to a lesser extent - and the 5DIII is a major upgrade in those areas.
I agree with everything that neuro has to say regarding the upgrade. I sold my 5DII and bought a 5DIII..so I have personal. experience with the upgrade and my main reason was that I do a lot of HDR imaging and the 5DII had ONLY 3-stop bracketing... It was so lacking in that dept. (we are talking $10 worth of software that some point-and-shoots best it on???), that I decided to buy the 5DIII which has 7-stop bracketing. The 5DII is still a great camera...and had I known about Magic Lantern firmware (which has extended bracketing), I may have kept it...but I think that the III is a really decent upgrade..when you consider all of the points mentioned by Neuro, the locking program wheel, accepting two memory cards, 2 silent-shutter settings, the fact that the camera is much more customizable and it just handles and feels lot a lot more camera in my hand and that gives me confidence, which is something, for me that makes it really a worthwhile step forward especially now that it can be had at or below~$2900!!! (I paid full price 6 months back but was able to command $2000 for my 5DII back then so it evens out).
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 10:15:31 PM by infared »
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

RLPhoto

• 1D X
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 06:13:24 PM »

Thank you everyone

I skipped the MK2 series camera entirely. 5Dc -------> 5D3.

I'd recommend skipping a generation of cameras on the same level unless you absolutely need something it offers. IE. 61-point AF is EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, I wouldn't consider a 6D. Its too similar to the 5D2.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 06:15:17 PM by RLPhoto »
24LII - 50L - 135L
---------------------------------
www.RamonLperez.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 06:13:24 PM »

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 06:20:12 PM »
hell ya
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Zen

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 06:39:01 PM »
I agree with all the above except that I think the IQ is as much as 20-25% better in the 5D3 - due I presume to the improved processor. Canon calls the processor in the 5D3 the Digic 5, while it is the Digic 4 in the Mk2. I went from the 2 to the 3 when the camera was released for sale and noticed the improved images almost immediately. Maybe that says more about my skill level - don't know. But there is a noticeable difference. I'm happy with the upgrade for sure. ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 06:39:01 PM »