November 22, 2014, 08:28:31 PM

Author Topic: Canon Rumors is Touring Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia  (Read 10578 times)

ddashti

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Rumors is Touring Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 10:36:27 PM »
Is that the 400 DO? It's a lens that's used quite rarely (from my observation, at least)!
Great to see it packed for shooting!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 10:36:27 PM »

JPAZ

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 11:07:12 PM »
+1 regarding Sapa.  Wonderful scenery of terraced fields while going up and amazing indigenous people each with a particular type of colorful garb specific to their clan or culture.  Well worth the adventure.

JP 
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

EvilTed

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 11:39:42 PM »
Nice,

I'm going to be doing a similar trip later this year, but I think I'll take my Fuji's ;)

Stay safe and post pics and I expect a nice right up...

ET

Glad to hear you are coming over this way too ET. Just be sure to bring your good equipment, there are some truly amazing places to photograph. It is a very safe part of the world and believe me, you will regret it if you do not have your best equipment with you. :-)

Check this Fuji RAW file converted with Capture One, which now has X-Trans support.
The author also is a 5D MK3 shooter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kinematic/8382070132/#lightbox/

Or this guy who thinks the X-Pro1 is better than his D3 for long exposures

http://doncraigphoto.wordpress.com/2013/01/14/long-exposures-with-a-fuji-x-pro1/

Or this guy who won the National Geographic 2012 Photo Contest (and lost it for removing a plastic bag and thereby altering the scene).

http://harryfisch.blogspot.com.es/2012/12/how-to-win-and-loose-2012-national.html

Now, add to this that my whole Fuji kit can fit in a little 6" x 9" bag and weight about 2LBs and tell me again about which is the best equipment to bring ;)

ET

FatDaddyJones

• Rebel T5i
  • Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 08:01:44 AM »
Nice,

I'm going to be doing a similar trip later this year, but I think I'll take my Fuji's ;)

ET

Glad to hear you are coming over this way too ET. Just be sure to bring your good equipment, there are some truly amazing places to photograph. It is a very safe part of the world and believe me, you will regret it if you do not have your best equipment with you. :-)

I went to Ho Chi Minh a couple of years ago, and brought my Fuji (S7000) because of weight. I'm not saying that Fuji doesn't make some awesome camera equipment, but after I got there, I was really bummed that I didn't bring my Canon gear. Whenever I go back, I'm bringing my 5D3, DSLR rig, and all the lenses and accessories. I won't worry about weight next time.
5D Mark III, 7D, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 70-300mm IS USM, EF-S 17-55mm IS USM, Redrock shoulder rig, matte box & follow focus, Rode Videomic, Zoom R16, Sure PG42, DSTE Pro BG-E11, Excella Neo D400 Studio Strobes, Excella Stardust 50, 580 EX II, lots of other fun stu

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 08:15:53 AM »
Nice,

ET

Check this Fuji RAW file converted with Capture One, which now has X-Trans support.
The author also is a 5D MK3 shooter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kinematic/8382070132/#lightbox/

Or this guy who thinks the X-Pro1 is better than his D3 for long exposures

http://doncraigphoto.wordpress.com/2013/01/14/long-exposures-with-a-fuji-x-pro1/

Or this guy who won the National Geographic 2012 Photo Contest (and lost it for removing a plastic bag and thereby altering the scene).

http://harryfisch.blogspot.com.es/2012/12/how-to-win-and-loose-2012-national.html

Now, add to this that my whole Fuji kit can fit in a little 6" x 9" bag and weight about 2LBs and tell me again about which is the best equipment to bring ;)

ET
No offense but that Nat Geo picture is at best boring and mediocre. They promote the adventure part of it, for us travellers it's an every day sight, nothing exciting about it. If you want to prove a point and bring second grade gear then please do. It's your loss.

EvilTed

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 09:44:02 AM »
I'd rather not hump a lot of heavy gear about.
"Us travelers" prefer to travel light and absorb the environment than have to deal with a ton of kit.
Been there, done that, and after traveling around India 5 times, I prefer the Fuji approach, no offense ;)

Each to their own, but my Canon gear is NOT superior to my Fuji gear in any respect. The images produced are softer and dreamier. This is fine for portraits and Weddings, but I prefer sharpness over bokeh any day, that's my preference.
I keep my Canon gear for taking fast action pictures of my daughter running around, but for anything serious, I use the Fuji.

Here is a quote from a fellow travel photographer:

"Overall, the IQ is as good as any of my full frame DSLR’s and in some ways (especially with regard to colour rendition), I prefer the IQ of the X-E1 (and X-Pro1).  That is saying a lot as I shoot with some of the best DSLRs available."

and he shoots both Canon and Nikon, including a D800.

http://roel.me (menu on left)

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the X100s and the X-Pro2...

ET

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 05:35:12 PM »
CR - Don't forget it is quite cool (especially in the mornings and evenings) at some of the places you will be visiting. Not sure what it is like in Canada, but a think jumper may be in order.

How's the trip going?
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 05:35:12 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 06:00:41 PM »
CR - Don't forget it is quite cool (especially in the mornings and evenings) at some of the places you will be visiting. Not sure what it is like in Canada, but a think jumper may be in order.

How's the trip going?
This time of the year in Canada, its going to be a bit chilly as well.  North Bay will be -25 C tonight.  I expect CR guys problem is finding clothiing thats not too heavy.

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 06:10:27 PM »
Wow, that's almost exactly where my mum just went on a tour over New Year's. I haven't seen her pics yet, so I can't give any tips about places to see (are you with a tour group, or doing it yourself?)
All I can suggest is, if you get the chance to do an elephant-back trip to a lake where they swim and all that: Bring a change of clothes, or at least a change of underwear (they might give you clothes), and a sumbersion-proof camera...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 06:11:18 PM »
This time of the year in Canada, its going to be a bit chilly as well.  North Bay will be -25 C tonight.  I expect CR guys problem is finding clothiing thats not too heavy.

Haha, yes -25 does seem rather chilly!! Ouch, I do not think I have ever experienced such temperatures. Over here cool means 16-17 C ;-)

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 06:22:00 PM »
I'd rather not hump a lot of heavy gear about.
"Us travelers" prefer to travel light and absorb the environment than have to deal with a ton of kit.
Been there, done that, and after traveling around India 5 times, I prefer the Fuji approach, no offense ;)

Each to their own, but my Canon gear is NOT superior to my Fuji gear in any respect. The images produced are softer and dreamier. This is fine for portraits and Weddings, but I prefer sharpness over bokeh any day, that's my preference.
I keep my Canon gear for taking fast action pictures of my daughter running around, but for anything serious, I use the Fuji.

Here is a quote from a fellow travel photographer:

"Overall, the IQ is as good as any of my full frame DSLR’s and in some ways (especially with regard to colour rendition), I prefer the IQ of the X-E1 (and X-Pro1).  That is saying a lot as I shoot with some of the best DSLRs available."

and he shoots both Canon and Nikon, including a D800.

http://roel.me (menu on left)

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the X100s and the X-Pro2...

ET
Touche  ;)

mvinson1022

• Power Shot G7X
  • Fuji X-E1 and Canon 5D Markiii
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2013, 02:46:20 PM »
I am heading on the virtually identical trip in a few weeks - Hanoi - Halong Bay - Hue - Hoi An - Saigon - Siem Reap - Phuket.

I own a ton a Canon gear. That is why I am travellng with my Fuji. In fact, I may sell all my Canon gear when Fuji completes its lens roadmap. The Fuji is just that good!

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2013, 05:46:37 PM »
Why do I get the impression that there are people posting in this thread that work for/with Fuji in some capacity or other?!!

mvinson1022 - If you are going to do Hanoi - Halong Bay - Hue - Hoi An - Saigon - Siem Reap - Phuket, try not to miss Sapa in Vietnam. It is incredibly picturesque. Google it if you are not sure.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2013, 05:46:37 PM »

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2013, 08:53:20 PM »
I am heading on the virtually identical trip in a few weeks - Hanoi - Halong Bay - Hue - Hoi An - Saigon - Siem Reap - Phuket.

I own a ton a Canon gear. That is why I am travellng with my Fuji. In fact, I may sell all my Canon gear when Fuji completes its lens roadmap. The Fuji is just that good!
Hope you will enjoy it, it's a great stretch. Between Hue and Hoi An, make sure to enjoy the seafood at the Lang Co lagoon and of course stop at the Hai Van pass to capture the stunning view. This time of year the skies might not be clear, but if you're lucky you'll get great views over Da Nang. The view to the north is also amazing from there.

Shakarpix

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2013, 10:35:46 PM »
Have a safe trip and post some shots!

Am I the only one that is curious about what gear was packed for the trip??

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2013, 10:35:46 PM »