October 26, 2014, 05:55:15 AM

Author Topic: Why buy from a bricks and mortar store?  (Read 22767 times)

dolina

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Why buy from a bricks and mortar store?
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 12:06:51 PM »
If I need the item that moment/day.
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 12:06:51 PM »

tbadowski

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 12:22:16 PM »
I went to my local camera store 6 years ago, when I was looking at the 30D.
They had one there; they pulled it out of the case. But no CF card, and the battery was dead.

So, I did not feel guilty buying from BH.

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 12:48:20 PM »
Because you're old and that's what you've always done.

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 12:53:29 PM »
If I need the item that moment/day.

Even in a scenario where I need something ASAP, unless you're in a very large metro area with several local camera stores, chances are you won't be able to find what you need locally that day. There have been times when I needed stupid random stuff, like filters, super clamps, brass studs, lens hood, etc. that I just couldn't find locally. Even if you do find it at a local shop, once you factor in gas, time and tax I'm better off buying what I need online and paying for overnight shipping.

KyleSTL

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 01:19:28 PM »
Sorry, but it's not a loophole.  In pretty much every state that charges Sales Tax, there's an equivalent Use Tax that applies to goods purchased out of state for use in the state where you reside.  The buyer is responsible for paying that tax to their state government.  A loophole is a technicality or ambiguity that allows you to avoid the spirit of a law while obeying the letter of that law.  Not paying Use Tax on internet purchases is flat out tax evasion.  Much like driving 10 mph over the posted speed limit, it's unlikely you'll ever be caught/penalized...but it's still against the law.

I totally agree with you neuro, but where is the line drawn for what must be declared on taxes?  Purchased on eBay (new or used)?  Craigslist?  Garage sale?  What is the letter of the law?
Canon EOS 5D | Tamron 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 | 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM
15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 28mm f/1.8 USM | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 3x 420EX | ST-E2 | Canon S90 | SD600 w/ WP-DC4

christianronnel

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 01:32:01 PM »
One of the camera stores local to the Australian Open is offering store members the chance to buy a ticket (less than $100) and shoot from court-side with Canon folks there to help if required.

Now that's something that buying from Internet-only store fronts won't get you!

Do other stores offer similar opportunities?

We had a similar offering here in San Diego from George's Camera during the Miramar Airshow (Navy/Marine).  George's have a lens rental part of the business so I think the Canon sales rep allowed them to do this.

To answer your question, why buy from brick and mortar store?  Because I vote with my money, for my own interest.  Supporting local businesses eventually will be good for my own business.  I live in California, why should I support the New York economy if NY doesn't do anything for me.  The problem is, most people are short sighted and they only see the immediate benefit for themselves.  They don't like to pay for sales tax then complain about the State services and feel entitled.  I paid the retail price of $2399 for the 24-70LII, plus tax, while in was on sale at B&H for $2099 tax free.  I did my part as a citizen.  I can then claim that purchase as business expense.  Do what's logical and support your own local economy.

Also, it's one thing to go check out a TV at a big-box and then order online, but wasting a local shop salesperson's time and effort with no intent to buy is, at best, rude in my opinion.
I agree with you, people like that are heartless.
Don't take life too seriously; no one makes it out alive anyway

EOS 5D mark III | EOS 7D | EF16-35mm f2.8L II | EF24-70mm f2.8L II | EF70-200mm f2.8L IS II | EF70-300mm f4-5.6L IS | EF40mm f2.8 STM | EF50mm f1.4 | EF85mm f1.8

jp121

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 01:38:16 PM »
Sorry, but it's not a loophole.  In pretty much every state that charges Sales Tax, there's an equivalent Use Tax that applies to goods purchased out of state for use in the state where you reside.  The buyer is responsible for paying that tax to their state government.  A loophole is a technicality or ambiguity that allows you to avoid the spirit of a law while obeying the letter of that law.  Not paying Use Tax on internet purchases is flat out tax evasion.  Much like driving 10 mph over the posted speed limit, it's unlikely you'll ever be caught/penalized...but it's still against the law.

I totally agree with you neuro, but where is the line drawn for what must be declared on taxes?  Purchased on eBay (new or used)?  Craigslist?  Garage sale?  What is the letter of the law?

In Australia, it is the seller's responsibility to collect the sales tax from the buyer and pay it to the gov't. Sales tax on basically everything that requires manufacturing/processing of some kind; both new & used.
5DM3 | 50 f/1.2L | 100 f/2.8L MACRO IS | 16-35 f/2.8L II | 24-105 f/4 IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 01:38:16 PM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 01:40:18 PM »
What you pay in $ in the US we often pay in £ in the UK.  It's a bad deal for us, and why my last 2 cameras and some accessories have been grey.

I buy a fair bit of used stuff, and do that from a dealer with a guarantee, I buy the odd new bit or bob here and there, mainly for video stuff, like cans, or sticks, and tend to use Calumet, or Jacobs before they sadly folded.

Jessops were crap, and would only use them if they had an exceptional promotion on, or needed a spare battery like NOW.

I plan to buy a C100 sometime this year, and will probably be going to Calumet.

For me, it's the service, the ability to hold something, I really want to support the high street and local shops, but I don't want to pay 30% more than I have to, especially on the expensive things like bodies.

Canon need to give the little guys a break, their minimum accounts are terryifying for small shops.  If all thats left to buy your camera from on the high street is Tesco, then ultimately it will be the manufacturers who lose out.

Jessops made some seriously bad business decisions, and as a company, deserved to fail (no disrespect to store level staff) but even the good guys are struggling.

Harry Muff

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 01:44:12 PM »
Recently bought a 100 2.8L IS.

Price in Jessops and WEX: £699

Price at ProCameraShop: £550

Nuff said...
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 01:47:06 PM »

In most states, all of those sales are subject to Use Tax.  Likewise, if you sell something on eBay/CL for more than you bought it for, tecnhically that represents income and should be reported as such (but the reverse, selling for a loss, doesn't entitle you to a deduction). 

Disclaimer: consult your tax adviser...   :P
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

emag

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 01:55:34 PM »

.........  I did my part as a citizen.  I can then claim that purchase as business expense.  Do what's logical and support your own local economy.........
[/quote]

Don't get the wrong tone from my response, no malice intended.  Many of us cannot claim a purchase as a business expense.  It makes a difference.  I have one local camera shop which I have occasionally shopped at.  I cannot justify the cost (to me) of big ticket items, I hope he can stay in business but I have my own bills to pay.  If I could expense it I would gladly bring him the business......as local pros do.

jp121

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 02:16:31 PM »
I don't have a problem to paying 'reasonably more' for good & on-going sales service. I have always calculated it into the purchase price.

How much more? depends on the product & the reputation/actual service received. Basically means i will mostly support bricks/mortar. Once I find a store with the level of service I like, then I generally will always return.

I won't buy (from the internet or bricks/mortar) for the cheapest price possible, if the seller doesn't provide or have a long established reputation for good service.
5DM3 | 50 f/1.2L | 100 f/2.8L MACRO IS | 16-35 f/2.8L II | 24-105 f/4 IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS

thepancakeman

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 02:28:58 PM »
I go to my local store to test out gear and narrow my choices...

I buy local because if I (and others) don't, this will no longer be an option.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 02:28:58 PM »

Juvenall

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 02:41:34 PM »

The biggest problem for me is the extra cost of buying local. The nearest shop to me just south of Detroit is a good 35-40 minute drive. So you factor in an hour of travel time, then that much in gas and even at identical prices, I'm already losing. More frustrating is that this camera shop was hand built by ego. If you're not looking to buy a Canon L lens, you're just wasting their time. God help you if you want to look at a Sigma.

Gone are the days where I had a camera shop a few miles from my house. Even though the prices were higher, the advice and service I would get there more than made up for it. I mean, trying a couple copies of a lens to find the perfect match for my body is something I dearly miss.

thepancakeman

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 02:56:50 PM »

The nearest shop to me just south of Detroit is a good 35-40 minute drive.

That's pushing my definition of local--in your case I'd probably call "local" a loss and go online.   :-\

Just for full disclosure, I'm not saying I buy everything local.  Where there is a huge cost discrepancy (greater than say about 20%) then I'll go online.  But I do try to support my local retailers (not just camera shops) when I can.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 02:56:50 PM »