October 21, 2014, 03:42:35 AM

Author Topic: Why buy from a bricks and mortar store?  (Read 22667 times)

mingyuansung

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • 5D3
    • View Profile
Re: Why buy from a bricks and mortar store?
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2013, 03:27:41 PM »
I believe everyone would support their "local" business if the price is not too much higher and the service is good. When I wanted to buy 135L couple weeks ago, I called my local store (national chain), and they do not have one in stock out of my surprise. They will get one for me in store if I "want to buy" from them. So with online store deliver to my front door and return is easy, 3 days shipping is faster than go to my local store to try one. I just bought my 135L online. Local store is really hard to win if your city is not big enough.
5D3, 24 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8 L II, 50 f1.4, 85 f1.2 L I, 100 f2, 100 f2.8 IS L, 70-200 f2.8 IS LII

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2013, 03:27:41 PM »

HoneyBadger

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2013, 03:53:27 PM »
There isn't much of a price difference between online and local here. Locally, I mostly only have the shutterbug to shop at which is a pretty large chain of camera stores. I just don't like how they push me to buy everything and only have entry level filters and stuff that they claim are pro level.. like promaster lol. Anyways, their prices are reasonable and since it's Oregon I pay no sales tax anyways. I do all my shopping on amazon because they tend to have what I want, a 5 or so percent discount and they have amazing customer service. I was unsatisfied with my first 5DIII and they sent me a new one (overnight delivery) before I had even returned the first one. I feel a local store would have given me a problem but since amazon is so big, what is one more camera return to them. Plus if you spend a lot they start sending 10% off coupons which is amazing when used on a lens. Lastly, local stores often don't have the lens I want in stock.
5dIII; 40mm 2.8, 16-35mm 2.8L II, 100mm Macro 2.8L IS, 70-300 4-5.6 IS, 70-200mm 2.8L II, 24-70mm 2.8L II

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2013, 03:59:09 PM »
I bought all of my cameras and lenses locally and will continue to do so. I want them to stay in business and can go back there if something doesn't work. I find prices to be pretty competitive around here. At least two of the local dealers here have price matched B&H and places like that for me in the past. The only issue is the sales tax but there are ways to avoid that too.

Different story with all the little gizmos that local stores don't carry.
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

kbmelb

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2013, 04:08:44 PM »
I'm a full timer and I really break it down to who has what I need when I need it. My 5DII came from a local Mom&Pop. I got it when it was first available. I paid the normal retail plus tax. I would have got it online if anyone had it just to save the sales tax.

My 5DIII came from a local Best Buy because they were the only place that had it available. I paid a lot for that. Almost $1000 more than today after tax. But early adoption is a &!*©#.

My 1DsII and III were bought used from private entities.

Lenses, I almost always get from B&H. I buy all the little stuff from a local shop, i.e.; cleaner, stands, filters, etc.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 04:10:57 PM by kbmelb »

stessel tank

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2013, 04:11:00 PM »
We have a few brick & mortar stores in Brisbane some will match genuine canon dealer pricing of online stores which i will buy from because i can take it with me and not wait for couriers

I bought a heap gear(1dx + 16-35L +more) a few weeks ago local Canon Dealer because they price matched all the items no problems(from another Canon Dealer in Sydney)

Then we have the other Brisbane store which has a online presence as well a bricks & mortar store who stick to the retail price and wont budge"quote from store manager we have the best price and we dont price match even from other Canon dealers"

Well my money was not spent in his store($9000.00 +) lost sale 
Canon EOS 1Dx,1D3,5D2
Lens; 50 f1.4,50 f1.2,24-105 f4,70-200 f2.8 IS,300mm f2.8 IS,16-35 f2.8 L 11,1.4 & 2.0 extenders
Speedlites;580 EX11,600EX-RT,STE3-RT,GP-E1

ewg963

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2013, 05:09:52 PM »
Most of are guilty at one time or another of trying out gear and then go buy it online. I have and I felt bad. It's a sad state of affairs when greedy politicians continue levy such heavy taxes on items. Taxes hurts businesses and consumers period and pointing fingers at each other is not going to solve anything. I do understand folks who are trying to save their hard earned money by purchasing online!!! However, I also hate to see decent photo shops go under.... for instance I was vacationing in Orlando last summer and I needed 50mm lens thank goodness there was 2 decent stores in the area. The first one wouldn't match B&H price but second one did and of course they got the sale. Maybe we should look at our state capitols (USA) hold these politicians feet to the fire with their corruption!!! I'm just one person. IMHO. I'm going to suck it and go to Milford Photo here in CT and pay that god forsaking sales tax!! The folks there are so friendly. My next hard decision will be on what to upgrade my 5D Mark II with the Mark III or the 1 DX!!! Any suggestions? I do portraits, events, and some sports!! 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 05:48:52 PM by ewg963 »
5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 24-105mm 70-200mm 2.8 Non IS, 100-400mm 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580EX II, 600EX-RT

Zen

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2013, 05:38:35 PM »
Most of you seem to be basing your buy decisions predominantly on price. That's an important factor, I agree, but there are several other factors that might go into the mix. For example, service [not speed of delivery, but service!] That is, when you are standing at the sales counter looking at an item, and the clerk tells you he or she uses that very same item in their own photography, and that it works beautifully, or not so well, or try this setting, or this image will be better at f/2.4, or whatever the case may be. Or the clerk that points out features on the item that the brochure doesn't mention. Or the opportunity to hold the item in your hands, try the switches, check out the viewfinder or ? You can't do that on-line. Then there's the clerk who knows the kind of shots you like and calls to say they have a new item in the store that will make your shots better or easier to get and why not come in and give it a try?

Then there's the demonstrations and talks by the traveling reps who answer your questions, demonstrate the latest print paper or light meter or camera body. And, the convenience of walking out of the store satisfied the first time that you got what you wanted.

On-line buys are OK if all you care about is every last penney and whether or not you pay sales tax and other price considerations. But there's nothing like a friendly and knowledgeable and experienced sales clerk to help when you're not exactly sure about exactly what you want.

Like someone else here, I'll take the brick and mortar store, and help my local merchants, even if I pay 5-10-15% more. The return I get in service is well worth the premium. And, they know how much I've spent there in the last few years, and when I walk in the door, they know me, call me by name and treat me as an important part of their business. On line, you're only a voice and credit card number at the other end of the line.

No. I'll take the friendly brick and mortar store.

;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2013, 05:38:35 PM »

glongstaff

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • glongstaff smugmug
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2013, 05:39:03 PM »
Like others I would love to be able to support local stores...at the moment we have one Camera Store in Bolton and quite a few in Manchester (approx 20 miles away) but the price differentiation placed on the smaller independents by manufacturers just does not make it viable...and with a 20% VAT (ie sales tax) on products you can see why more people in the UK are willing to shop around...

Examples in Pricing:

Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II USM Lens

£1799.00 (from Wex Photographic - ordered to be delivered a couple of hundred miles but with a UK Warranty)
£1849.00 (Mathers of lancashire - local shop with UK Warranty)

£1389.99 (Grey import from procamerashop with free delivery/ their own 1 year warranty on mainland UK over £30)
£1311.00 (Grey import via Panamoz their own 1 year warranty or even in some cases a 1 yr replacement warranty)

So taking the lowest at Panamoz and the highest price at the local store, thats a difference of £488.00 ($780 approx) excluding any VAT (sales taxes).

I have purchased from Jessops (used to be local store b4 going into administration and have bought purchases from Wex) in the past but will certainly look round for 'consideration' in pricing by the establishments/manufacturers
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 12:46:33 PM by glongstaff »
5D MKIII, EF 24-105mm F/4 IS L USM, EF 85mm F/1.8, EF 55-200mm 4.5-5.6 USM,  Sigma DG 150-500 5-6.3 APO HSM, Speedlite 430EXII

EOS 350D, EFS 18-55mm

ewg963

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2013, 05:51:18 PM »
Most of you seem to be basing your buy decisions predominantly on price. That's an important factor, I agree, but there are several other factors that might go into the mix. For example, service [not speed of delivery, but service!] That is, when you are standing at the sales counter looking at an item, and the clerk tells you he or she uses that very same item in their own photography, and that it works beautifully, or not so well, or try this setting, or this image will be better at f/2.4, or whatever the case may be. Or the clerk that points out features on the item that the brochure doesn't mention. Or the opportunity to hold the item in your hands, try the switches, check out the viewfinder or ? You can't do that on-line. Then there's the clerk who knows the kind of shots you like and calls to say they have a new item in the store that will make your shots better or easier to get and why not come in and give it a try?

Then there's the demonstrations and talks by the traveling reps who answer your questions, demonstrate the latest print paper or light meter or camera body. And, the convenience of walking out of the store satisfied the first time that you got what you wanted.

On-line buys are OK if all you care about is every last penney and whether or not you pay sales tax and other price considerations. But there's nothing like a friendly and knowledgeable and experienced sales clerk to help when you're not exactly sure about exactly what you want.

Like someone else here, I'll take the brick and mortar store, and help my local merchants, even if I pay 5-10-15% more. The return I get in service is well worth the premium. And, they know how much I've spent there in the last few years, and when I walk in the door, they know me, call me by name and treat me as an important part of their business. On line, you're only a voice and credit card number at the other end of the line.

No. I'll take the friendly brick and mortar store.

;D
That's the reason I'm going back to the brick & morter. Their knowledge is priceless.
5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 24-105mm 70-200mm 2.8 Non IS, 100-400mm 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580EX II, 600EX-RT

ewg963

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2013, 05:56:52 PM »
Like others I would love to be able to support local stores...at the moment we have once Camera Store in Bolton and quite a few in Manchester (approx 20 miles away) but the price differentiation placed on the smaller independents by manufacturers just does not make it viable...and with a 20% VAT (ie sales tax) on products you can see why more people in the UK are willing to shop around...

Examples in Pricing:

Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II USM Lens

£1799.00 (from Wex Photographic - ordered to be delivered a couple of hundred miles but with a UK Warranty)
£1849.00 (Mathers of lancashire - local shop with UK Warranty)

£1389.99 (Grey import from procamerashop with free delivery/ their own 1 year warranty on mainland UK over £30)
£1311.00 (Grey import via Panamoz their own 1 year warranty or even in some cases a 1 yr replacement warranty)

So taking the lowest at Panamoz and the highest price at the local store, thats a difference of £488.00 ($780 approx) excluding any VAT (sales taxes).

I have purchased from Jessops (used to be local store b4 going into administration and have bought purchases from Wex) in the past but will certainly look round for 'consideration' in pricing by the establishments/manufacturers
I know you folks from across the pond pay a premium price on cameras and gear!!

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2013, 06:59:38 PM »
Of course, if price was not a concern and or equal, I would love to help the local economy... Dont get me wrong, i'm not a heartless prick... But when the difference gets to the point where I could go to a brick and mortar store, or I could go online and have extra to pay a model, or an assistant, or get a background or two... In my mind, spreading my money, all things being equal, is better going to multiple sources rather than one greedy company...  Also, being a professional photographer looking out not only for me, but my family, my children, my house, car, retirement accounts, savings accounts (yeah right), etc...  I also, as a pro photographer making my living getting other people to hire me and use me for my income, I know at this day and age, things are changing... the gen Y is out there and are my current clients...  The way we got clients 10 years ago are different and photographers now need to innovate or risk being a starving artist.  Likewise, brick and mortar stores, whether they be camera stores or best buy, they need to change their business motto and how they operate or risk going out of business once the babyboomers start dying off... It is what it is... 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

daniemare

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2013, 07:35:23 PM »
Sorry, but it's not a loophole.  In pretty much every state that charges Sales Tax, there's an equivalent Use Tax that applies to goods purchased out of state for use in the state where you reside.  The buyer is responsible for paying that tax to their state government.  A loophole is a technicality or ambiguity that allows you to avoid the spirit of a law while obeying the letter of that law.  Not paying Use Tax on internet purchases is flat out tax evasion.  Much like driving 10 mph over the posted speed limit, it's unlikely you'll ever be caught/penalized...but it's still against the law.

I totally agree with you neuro, but where is the line drawn for what must be declared on taxes?  Purchased on eBay (new or used)?  Craigslist?  Garage sale?  What is the letter of the law?

In Australia, it is the seller's responsibility to collect the sales tax from the buyer and pay it to the gov't. Sales tax on basically everything that requires manufacturing/processing of some kind; both new & used.

Australia has a value added tax system, similar to most OECD countries.  USA does not.  So Australia technically does not have a "Sales Tax" system in the traditional sense of the word.

Sales tax is archaic, thats why you need Used Tax etc to try and close the loopholes
Canon 6D, Canon 24-105 F4L IS, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100 F2.8L IS macro, Canon 50 F1.4, Canon 28 F1.8

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2013, 07:39:27 PM »
This is a shame, but what can one do? Back in Europe I bought my 400D with a two lens kit six or seven years ago.  Don't remember exactly. Got a decent deal. A couple of years later when I felt I wanted to upgrade, the guy in the store said that I should stay with the 400D, at least he agreed to sell me a Sigma 18-200 lens. Then I moved back to Asia and on a trip to KL I went to a Canon shop, they were happy to sell me the 60D with an 85 1.8 without questioning my skill level or actuall needs.

For some reason this camera store is still in business, can't see how when he doesn't want to sell gear to eager customers. I'm not a youngster, I'm a middle aged family father so he couldn't have thought I was about to spend money I didn't have wanting to protect me from a stupid purchase.

On the other hand, there are many really good stores, camera and other, that you want to see being able to make it but I guess it's almost impossible in today's climate. My local record store closed down a few years ago, they were legendary because of their deep knowledge, all staff were enthusiasts and some of them proffessional musicians. You would just walk in there and say you want some new music and they would help you out. They knew the taste of most their regular customers and would recommend from there. I was happy to pay a premium to those guys thanks to the fantastic service. On the other hand if you buy ten CDs and pay a premium of a few dollars per CD it's very little compared to the +700 dollar example I saw in one of the posts here.

It's a dilemma, but the leaner business models will win over time. I guess the store will have to build other types of services to stay alive, not rely on gear sales. They will need to add a value that the internet stores can't bring.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2013, 07:39:27 PM »

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2013, 08:36:02 PM »
When I redid my basement I bought from a bricks and mortar store.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

DBCdp

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2013, 10:29:53 PM »
I'd shop locally if it were an option, but it's not. Went to a store 40 minutes away with cash in hand to purchase the 135 f/2. (Took extra cause they're known to be high) They don't stock it, it's too expensive.

The other, bigger, store is 70 minutes in the other direction. Also high priced but very helpful.

In TX, you have a Sales Tax Permit and if the item is a business use it's tax exempt. So shopping at either local store would only be more expensive as the stores higher markup, which can still be substantial. The times I've made the drive to check out an item I needed, they didn't have it and the wait would be 2 weeks or more, if they could get it at all. So I go to Adorama virtually and get it here in a few days.

Small items are simply not worth the hassle of going to the city to find. The mailman or UPS comes by here whenever needed.

I would hope that basement was done from the block and mortar store...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2013, 10:29:53 PM »