September 16, 2014, 10:00:26 AM

Author Topic: Why buy from a bricks and mortar store?  (Read 22249 times)

kbmelb

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Why buy from a bricks and mortar store?
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2013, 10:34:47 PM »
The local stores here never have almost never have "pro" stuff in stock. They do have a hand ful of L zooms but forget about primes. They know there bread and butter is not pros.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2013, 10:34:47 PM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Canon lens + Sony camera
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2013, 10:45:25 PM »
(He also sells field lenses like the one you posted a partial picture of, and sells the cameras they must be used with...ok, I'm all done beating that horse now  ;).

Pity that Canon/Sony don't work together with consumer grade equipment like they do pro grade with that level of camera...

archiea

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2013, 11:36:47 PM »
Why?  Because it gives you warm and fuzzy feelings?  For us in the states, I hardly never buy locally... It doesn't help that our local stores are usually 5-10% higher than adorama or BH, if not more... plus you got local sales tax, and it just makes the out-the-door price skyrocket...  I go to my local store to test out gear and narrow my choices, then I go back home, and order my gear from adorama, with free shipping, and no taxes.  =)  I'm sure our government will close the tax loophole soon enough, but until then, I will do as I need to...

This is a very sad assessment of the value of a local business. I'm lucky enough to live near a large store like Samy's camera.  I like the relationship that I have with the retailer.  Now this is a large chain here in LA, its not your small local shop.  But its LA only.  I think its really important to have a local store and I'm glad to have supported them.  Yes I've paid more for the merchandise, but the price at amazon is not the true price of the merchandise. its the price of bulk purchase inventory with no relation to the customer and illegally untaxed.  You are supposed to be taxed on such a purchase. 
I'm not saying this to judge, I'm guilty of this too. Its more of a warning regarding the default action of interacting with a person when doing through hundreds if not thousands of dollars in purchases.   I've tried to curb my ways because at the rate we are going the only way to get something may only be amazon.. and thats a monopoly. 
I've found it invaluable to go to the store, browse, talk to the sales people and build a rapport.. way better than getting some brown box at my door. 
What I find stores doing now are workshops and events... theya re building communities...  in some ways, amazon has forced stores to be special venues for their merchandise now that they aren't the default way of shopping. so support your store, pay the extra couple of hundred bucks, support your local community and pay your taxes.... because thats the TRUE price of what you are buying. Because if you don't, don't be surprised when somebody decides that YOU are too expensive and want to replace you with an outsourced worker... because for them, an indian or chinese now represents the cost of a worker, not you. So the value of what YOU do goes down artificially. Thats what you are doing when you shop outline.

archiea

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2013, 11:44:59 PM »
I would not mind buying from a local store, but the (excellent) independent camera store down the block from my office charges full blown retail on everything they sell.  They are too small to handle the volume of sales that the big box stores and online retails do.  By contrast, I can purchase the exact same items from an internet seller for about 20% less.  Now, if the price difference was $10 or $20 or maybe even $50, I would go to the local store because I really do want to support them, but the difference is usually much more than that.

Consider this example:  My local store is selling the Canon 5D Mark III for full retail, $3499 USD.  Tax in my state is 6.35%, which adds another $222, for a total of $3721.  B&H is selling the same camera for $2975, no tax and free shipping.  That's a difference of $746, which is simply too big to ignore.

Again, $3721 is the true price of that camera.. retail (supports a margin for the brick and mortor store) plus the tax that pays for the roads and the infrastructure that allows you to go to the store. We just have to start thinking this way, people, if we don't we will reap what we sow.  That $746 difference represents a devaluing of the store, the shipping, the tax, and the expertise you get at a store. Part of that $746 goes to a sales clerk that lives in your town, where he pays for local services as well, to his kids, to the community.   A town with local business is many times better than a strip mall invested community where the best buy employees are only paid enough to eat at the Mcdonalds across the street. When you pay full price you re-invest in your community.  When you don't, trust me, you will pay that extra $746 down the road....

mgkaplan

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2013, 11:51:54 PM »
I will always buy from my local brick and mortar store - if the product is there.

For the past 39 years I have been purchasing my equipment from the same store - Canoga Camera.   It is a family business with very competitive prices and outstanding customer service.

There is something very comforting about buying from people that I know and trust - people who are honest -  and who have an excellent knowledge of their products.

Also, if I familiarize myself with a product by visiting a local dealer -  should I choose to buy it, it is only fair to buy it from the local dealer - especially if they have a history of treating their customers fairly.

GaryJ

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2013, 12:41:59 AM »
Would love to know the 'other' store you mention so as not to go there.
We have a few brick & mortar stores in Brisbane some will match genuine canon dealer pricing of online stores which i will buy from because i can take it with me and not wait for couriers

I bought a heap gear(1dx + 16-35L +more) a few weeks ago local Canon Dealer because they price matched all the items no problems(from another Canon Dealer in Sydney)

Then we have the other Brisbane store which has a online presence as well a bricks & mortar store who stick to the retail price and wont budge"quote from store manager we have the best price and we dont price match even from other Canon dealers"

Well my money was not spent in his store($9000.00 +) lost sale
7D,6D,100mmL IS f2.8 Macro,70-300mm L,MPE-65, 24-105 f4 L,50mm f1.8,70-200mm L f4,Siggy 150mmf2.8 Macro, Tokina 11-16mm Kenko Extenders and 1.4 TC [for 70-300]

stessel tank

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2013, 01:34:17 AM »
DCW won't match prices of any type "stick your head in the sand and hope the internet will go away" and any advise they give is not any better then you get at other Dealers who match prices.
On there web site "WHY SHOP WITH US?" reads Best prices,best service,best deals how can this be eg Canon 1DX $7699.00 DCW this is your best price best deals don't think so 

Photo Continental price match 1DX $6479.00 

Photo Continental does match other Canon Dealer prices Australia wide,Photo Continental have been around since 1951 and if you need advise on anything Camera wise they are the ones to ask and they also realize they have to compete in today's world 
Canon EOS 1Dx,1D3,5D2
Lens; 50 f1.4,50 f1.2,24-105 f4,70-200 f2.8 IS,300mm f2.8 IS,16-35 f2.8 L 11,1.4 & 2.0 extenders
Speedlites;580 EX11,600EX-RT,STE3-RT,GP-E1

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2013, 01:34:17 AM »

rolsskk

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2013, 02:30:23 AM »
There's only 2 camera stores in the entire state and neither of them are big on customer service. I really try to buy local, but when one blows me off when I enquire about a lens listed on their website and tells me that they don't know, and that they'll have the manager call me next week, but never does, I don't feel a need to shop there anytime soon. The other one consistently has prices at MSRP or higher, which means hundreds extra if I want a new lens.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2013, 05:30:49 PM »
There's only 2 camera stores in the entire state and neither of them are big on customer service. I really try to buy local, but when one blows me off when I enquire about a lens listed on their website and tells me that they don't know, and that they'll have the manager call me next week, but never does, I don't feel a need to shop there anytime soon. The other one consistently has prices at MSRP or higher, which means hundreds extra if I want a new lens.

One time I went to my 1 local store... I wanted to get a tripod, but I didn't want the kitted head that was attached to the legs...  I asked if it was possible to take off that head and put imho a much better head by manfrotto on there... the sales guy looked at me and said nope, the heads are permanently attached... so i take that tripod, for giggles, and start spinning the head and sure enough the head screwed off... and sure enough, I was able to screw on the head I wanted... He looked at me, I looked at him, he walked away.  So did i... and bought the head and legs from adorama for $50 cheaper.  I've learned if I have a question, all i have to do is start a thread and sure enough neuro will answer it for me, haha 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2013, 07:15:52 PM »
I buy local when at all possible. Yes, prices are higher than the internet, but I can usually go to them and ask "can you match what this will cost me once shipping/handling is figured in", and they usually beat that price.

The best camera is the one in your hands

ewg963

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2013, 08:53:46 AM »
Sorry, but it's not a loophole.  In pretty much every state that charges Sales Tax, there's an equivalent Use Tax that applies to goods purchased out of state for use in the state where you reside.  The buyer is responsible for paying that tax to their state government.  A loophole is a technicality or ambiguity that allows you to avoid the spirit of a law while obeying the letter of that law.  Not paying Use Tax on internet purchases is flat out tax evasion.  Much like driving 10 mph over the posted speed limit, it's unlikely you'll ever be caught/penalized...but it's still against the law.

I totally agree with you neuro, but where is the line drawn for what must be declared on taxes?  Purchased on eBay (new or used)?  Craigslist?  Garage sale?  What is the letter of the law?

In Australia, it is the seller's responsibility to collect the sales tax from the buyer and pay it to the gov't. Sales tax on basically everything that requires manufacturing/processing of some kind; both new & used.

Australia has a value added tax system, similar to most OECD countries.  USA does not.  So Australia technically does not have a "Sales Tax" system in the traditional sense of the word.

Sales tax is archaic, thats why you need Used Tax etc to try and close the loopholes

I agree but it is what it is here. It sucks. New Hampshire has no sales tax which is an hour and a half drive from me.
5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 24-105mm 70-200mm 2.8 Non IS, 100-400mm 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580EX II, 600EX-RT

RGomezPhotos

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2013, 09:20:01 PM »
This is a touchy subject always. But personally I do my best to support my local vendors. I'm fine with spending a little extra on gear at a local shop. Up to point.  Taxes on a $3000 priced matched item is about my limit. No way I would buy anything much more expensive from a shop. That's what shows and factory reps are for.

I purchased a reflector from a vendor in which the price was a bit more than online. I didn't mind because I've saved so much money from them on rental gear. I figured it was the least I could.

Trying out gear at a shop and then going online to purchase it..  I look at those people with disgust. I saw a family come into a shop to give their opinion on what camera bag there daughter should buy. They spent at least 30 minutes with the salesperson, going through at least a dozen bags asking questions because they didn't do any research whatsoever...  And bought NOTHING...  You know what happened 15 minutes after they got home...  If I were the store manager, I would have the persons photo in the back and label it "Bottom feeder. Don't spend much time with them".

We have one and soon TWO excellent camera stores and I don't want them to go anywhere. I can buy about 90% of what I need for a very reasonable price. Part of the reason is I live in a part of the country that is flush with cash. It's not uncommon for a newbie/ignorant person to blow $5k on something that looks cool. I saw a father blow $7k on gear for his 14-year old daughter. So this shop is definitely an exception to most I think. My shop can sell things at online-competitive prices to those who ask. Love when they have all the major reps in there showing gear and their classes are great. I'm really lucky...
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2013, 09:20:01 PM »

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2013, 05:24:18 AM »
I prefer a bricks and mortar store over an online shop when it comes down to bodies. Bought my 30D some years ago online. Had dust and oil issues and got treated very unkind. Therefore past August I bought my 5D3 at a brick and mortar store in a town nearby. Friendly people, knowing what they're talking about (went there backed with good research knowledge already). They even lowered the price by about 100 swiss francs as I paid in cash. They will see me again. For lenses, I prefer an online store.
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2013, 08:27:07 PM »
I prefer a bricks and mortar store over an online shop when it comes down to bodies. Bought my 30D some years ago online. Had dust and oil issues and got treated very unkind. Therefore past August I bought my 5D3 at a brick and mortar store in a town nearby. Friendly people, knowing what they're talking about (went there backed with good research knowledge already). They even lowered the price by about 100 swiss francs as I paid in cash. They will see me again. For lenses, I prefer an online store.

Pedro raises a very good point...... Cash! If you buy by credit card, the card company keeps 5 to 10 percent of the cash.... Depending on the deal they have with the store. If you offer cash to your local store you might get a discount.
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2013, 08:27:07 PM »