April 16, 2014, 07:44:22 PM

Author Topic: Speed Booster: full frame fov on an APS-C size sensor  (Read 5476 times)

canon rumors FORUM

Speed Booster: full frame fov on an APS-C size sensor
« on: January 16, 2013, 07:06:59 AM »

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Speed Booster: full frame fov on an APS-C size sensor
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 04:40:56 PM »
Im still in doubt if its really that simple as just putting an inversed magnifying glass on the sensor while mainting the same image quality.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 04:44:16 PM by sandymandy »

IronChef

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 08:33:08 AM »
Here's the white paper
http://www.metabones.com/images/metabones/Speed%20Booster%20White%20Paper.pdf

According to this paper, the Speed Booster can reduce aberration and can therefore increase MTF. Everything seems really good, maybe too good. Can't wait to read some reviews when it's released.

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 02:16:47 PM »
There's a hands-on/ (p)review posted on Philip Bloom's blog:
http://philipbloom.net/2013/01/13/speedbooster/

It's interesting to say the least.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 07:49:11 PM »
wow this looks cool I would be keen to try one out with a 16-35 on the EOS-M i would hope it retains AF
so it would be effectively 18-40mm f2 FF equivalent Lens that would be awesome since the 16-35 already works pretty well on the EOS-M
APS-H Fanboy

East Wind Photography

• 6D
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 08:48:53 PM »
Actually they are called focal reducers.  They have been around for some time typically used on telescopes and spotting scopes.  While they say they can correct for aberrations you can be sure that wont be the case with anything but one lens.  Further it's highly unlikely that thy would improve the mtf and in all likelihood would make it worse.

It's a cool gimmick but just like extenders you won't get something for nothing.  If it were that easy we would have extenders that would improve resolution as well.

IronChef

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 04:23:01 AM »
Actually they are called focal reducers.  They have been around for some time typically used on telescopes and spotting scopes.  While they say they can correct for aberrations you can be sure that wont be the case with anything but one lens.  Further it's highly unlikely that thy would improve the mtf and in all likelihood would make it worse.

It's a cool gimmick but just like extenders you won't get something for nothing.  If it were that easy we would have extenders that would improve resolution as well.

Read the white paper. The analogy with extenders doesn't hold, because it does exact opposite of a extender. Extenders magnify the image and also magnify aberrations, while focal reducers reduces it by compressing the image. There are up and downsides using a focal reducer. Good design is the key here.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 04:23:01 AM »

CharlieB

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 06:20:37 AM »
You are mistaken, and its a common misconception.  The effect on image quality has nothing to do with magnification, or reduction, but everything to do with additional optical elements that are not optimized for any one optical system.  People conceptualize the ray traces and think "spreading" them or "compacting" them, but ... that's not exactly how it works. 

Consider - all the different lens aberrations.  The IQ is all about controlling those aberrations.  No "fits all" design, of any magnification, will do that effectively.  You'll find lenses that the device works acceptably well on, and other lenses that it does not work well on.

Also have to consider ghosting and flare.

Also have to consider mechanics - as the lens to sensor (or film) lateral alignment is not well controlled, and adding other elements will introduce some de-centering in the entire optical path.

There is a reason there are dedicated extenders, or extenders that work only on certain lenses.  And even with the latter, we know that performance varies quite a bit.

Having said all that, its an interesting concept, and I'm sure it will have its fair share of use, as well as its fair share of refinement, should it do well in the marketplace.

IronChef

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 07:11:32 AM »
New review from lensrentals.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/01/metabones-magic

Seems to do as promised in the whitepaper.

rs

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 09:36:08 AM »
New review from lensrentals.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/01/metabones-magic

Seems to do as promised in the whitepaper.

Yes, that's significantly better than I expected it would be. How about a 1.6x EF to EF-S version to allow us to use a crop body as if it were full frame?
5D II | 24-70 II | 70-200 II | 100L | 40 | Sigma 50/1.4 | 40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 580 EX II | 1.4x TC II

NormanBates

• 6D
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 10:53:23 AM »
Sorry, this will only work on short focal flange mounts, which basically means mirrorless. So, there might be an EF-to-EFM version, but never an EFS-to-EF version.

One more reason to support my belief that mirrorless is the future.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 11:19:09 AM »
Sorry, this will only work on short focal flange mounts, which basically means mirrorless. So, there might be an EF-to-EFM version, but never an EFS-to-EF version.

One more reason to support my belief that mirrorless is the future.

It's still an amazing product and makes the Sony FS700 and FS100 even more desirable.  This makes me glad my Blackmagic Design Cinema camera hasn't shown up yet, now I want the MFT version without a doubt. 
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 11:24:19 AM »
Here is a review if anyone was curious, seems very legit: http://www.eoshd.com/content/9485/metabones-speed-booster-adapter-full-review
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 11:24:19 AM »

KyleSTL

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 11:31:40 AM »
A year and a half ago I posted the idea of a wide-converter for FF lenses to APS-C image circle.

Source:
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=1564.msg22452#msg22452

EF 0.625x converter for APS-C cameras (keep the original angle of view of EF lenses on crop sensors and gain 1-1.33 stops of light)

I was pretty close, except for the fact the the flange distance needed to be reduced to make that a possibility (hense the need for Sony NEX or Fuji X series).
Canon EOS 5D | Tamron 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 | 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM
15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 28mm f/1.8 USM | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 3x 420EX | ST-E2 | Canon S90 | SD600 w/ WP-DC4

RLPhoto

• 1D X
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 11:37:49 AM »
Amazing! This gives me even less reason's to buy EOS-M.
24LII - 50L - 135L
---------------------------------
www.RamonLperez.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 11:37:49 AM »