September 18, 2014, 03:46:54 AM

Author Topic: Selling off my old strobes, What to get next?  (Read 4986 times)

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Selling off my old strobes, What to get next?
« on: January 16, 2013, 08:15:54 PM »
I'll be auctioning off my hard-working novatron strobes until they sell. I love the power but the flash duration is too slow for me to do any splash stuff.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181064006334#ht_710wt_1244

I've got about a 5 Grand budget and I've been looking into 4x PCB Einsteins but I ask, Is there any other options I should know about?

canon rumors FORUM

Selling off my old strobes, What to get next?
« on: January 16, 2013, 08:15:54 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Selling off my old strobes, What to get next?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 09:35:38 PM »
5K? I'd be having a good look at the elinchrom quadras
but i'm biased im a big fan of elinchrom gear
APS-H Fanboy

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 09:56:28 AM »
I took a look at the quadras and I love the modifiers elichrome has. The overall package won't deliver what I need it to do for me.

Durations are too slow even with the port a+b method.

It would be out of my budget for 4 heads, two packs and the modifiers I wanted.

400 w/s is not enough.

It would be super heavy compared to Einsteins + VML

klickflip

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 11:48:33 AM »
I've been testing & shooting splashes and action and it can be tricky one, well to freeze perfectly.
The Einstiens are a good choice I think although never tried them as in UK. But they work similar to speed lights and Bron with lower power being a shorter flash duration, I saw that you can get about 1/10000 sec at minimum power, opposite of normal strobes being shortest duration at full power.

Also what makes a huge difference is the shutter speed, sometimes contrary to belief being its completely about flash duration.
A Hassy at 500th or 800th sec with a flash duration of 1/1000 T0.1 or 1/2000+ T0.5 will freeze things decently but not splashes perfectly
Where as a canon at 160th or 200th with show much more flash burn and softness.

A Canon + speedlights on HSS will though and if its only small set ups this works fine.

One thing i've found tho is sometimes perfectly freezed action of splashes doesn't work quite as well in final images and retouches as you may think

Personally I'd go with Elinchrom RXs (600ws) for you main lights - as they have great modifiers plus the Skyport system that you can control everything off laptop or ipad, and  an extra speedlight or two for doing splashes.
Or Bowens Gemini Pro 500s as they are workhorses too.

Cant say much from experience about the Einsteins but they may be great and cover all bases, only heard the modifiers fixing can be funny and that reliability may not be quite as good as Elinchroms or Bowens. 

agierke

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 12:42:24 PM »
i have 2 Einsteins and i find them to be very reliable and built much more solidly than the older AB units. i have not yet tested the high speed flash duration of the units but it was a feature that i liked having if the need ever arises.

some other nice things about the Einsteins:

1/10 stop variation in power over a 9 stop range
ability to control power of multiple strobes via camera with the Cyber Commander unit
value vs quality (its just a good product for the cost compared to other brands)

i have also not had any issues using any type of modifier with them. i got the units when they were first released and i was aware that they were going to correct how modifiers were attached to the unit. as i understood it, occasionally a large/heavy modifier could "jump" off the unit so PCB planned to extend the length of the clasps that engaged the speedring that the modifier was attached to.

i have never had an issue with this and i have used up to a 36x48 softbox on these units. i do hope to get a 54x72 softbox in the future so at that point i might send the units back in to get them updated to handle the extra load.

bottom line is that i find the Einsteins to be well made, reliable, and very very versatile. but i would try to research how they perform at faster flash durations and if they are capable of what you need. the only other units i saw (online) photographers using to do such work were ProFotos...and they are beastly expensive. 

edit:

just found this review/test by Rob Galbraith (whom i find to be very thorough and informative) for the Einstein 640's. scroll down tne article a bit and you will see interactive tests for the high speed flash duration compared to the elinchroms.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-10053-10715
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 12:49:02 PM by agierke »
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, s15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm F1.8, 100mm F2.8L, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 12:46:29 PM »
i have 2 Einsteins and i find them to be very reliable and built much more solidly than the older AB units. i have not yet tested the high speed flash duration of the units but it was a feature that i liked having if the need ever arises.

some other nice things about the Einsteins:

1/10 stop variation in power over a 9 stop range
ability to control power of multiple strobes via camera with the Cyber Commander unit
value vs quality (its just a good product for the cost compared to other brands)

i have also not had any issues using any type of modifier with them. i got the units when they were first released and i was aware that they were going to correct how modifiers were attached to the unit. as i understood it, occasionally a large/heavy modifier could "jump" off the unit so PCB planned to extend the length of the clasps that engaged the speedring that the modifier was attached to.

i have never had an issue with this and i have used up to a 36x48 softbox on these units. i do hope to get a 54x72 softbox in the future so at that point i might send the units back in to get them updated to handle the extra load.

bottom line is that i find the Einsteins to be well made, reliable, and very very versatile. but i would try to research how they perform at faster flash durations and if they are capable of what you need. the only other units i saw (online) photographers using to do such work were ProFotos...and they are beastly expensive.   

Thats some piece of mind. One thing about my ancient novatron gear is its tough as nails. Fallen several feet, dropped kicked, battered but continues chugging.

I saw some broncolor/profoto stuff and its amazing but wayy out of my budget! Then I read stuff on Einstein and knew it was perfect.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2012/10/freezing-water-on-cheap-einstein.html

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 03:21:23 AM »
5K? I'd be having a good look at the elinchrom quadras
but i'm biased im a big fan of elinchrom gear
[/quot

+1

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 03:21:23 AM »

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 05:39:24 PM »
I took a look at the quadras and I love the modifiers elichrome has. The overall package won't deliver what I need it to do for me.

400 w/s is not enough.

you can get this set and a couple of 600s
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/906651-REG/Elinchrom_EL_20852KIT_D_LITE_RX_4_400w.html

then get some phottix odins they will work right up to 1/8000s with the odins which will well and truely overpower the sun and more :)
APS-H Fanboy

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 05:59:47 PM »

400 w/s is not enough.

you can get this set and a couple of 600s
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/906651-REG/Elinchrom_EL_20852KIT_D_LITE_RX_4_400w.html

then get some phottix odins they will work right up to 1/8000s with the odins which will well and truely overpower the sun and more :)

How can a strobe HSS? I've never heard that before.

Is it the Odin's or the Elichromes that allow for the HSS? If its the odins, I should be able to do the same with einstein.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 06:14:56 PM by RLPhoto »

agierke

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 06:31:32 PM »
the Einsteins are not capable of exceeding the sync of whatever canon camera you have. tested it and they failed. but that was using AB triggers.

i have never heard of a radio trigger being able exceed flash sync of a camera. i have only used canon speedlights to do that. and i highly doubt that you could shoot at 1/8000th of a sec with strobe and not be using a leaf shutter. even at 1/500th on a Hassi that was pushing it. everything i have ever experienced says that is not possible with a curtain type shutter.

i also don't believe 400w/s heads are enough power to beat direct sunlight. the einsteins are 640w/s and they struggle to beat direct sunlight with direct unmodified strobe.

i'm not buying it....but please, i would be thrilled to be proven wrong.
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, s15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm F1.8, 100mm F2.8L, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 06:37:00 PM »
its the odins controlling the flash that allows the fast shutter, but its not HSS ie you are not reducing flash power (i dont think so anyway) normally the camera wont allow you to go above sync speed but on the odins i just enable HSS on the odin controller and I get full shutter speed right out to 1/8000. so i can mix the elinchroms and speedlights together with pretty much no limits.

with the elinchroms i use the 3.5mm jack from the odin reciever to the flash head to connect it

since the stratto 2 recievers are cheaper and compatable with the odin controller I've been thinking about getting some just for the elinchroms but i want to try them out first before i go buying 4. but for now i just use the odin recievers I also discovered that a simple 3.5mm audio splitter cable will let you fire 2 studio heads from the 1 reciever.

Unfortunately since the flashes are all manual you dont get all the cool odin features like being able to control power from the unit or group ratios like you do with ETTL speedlights
APS-H Fanboy

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 06:40:53 PM »
the Einsteins are not capable of exceeding the sync of whatever canon camera you have. tested it and they failed. but that was using AB triggers.

i have never heard of a radio trigger being able exceed flash sync of a camera. i have only used canon speedlights to do that. and i highly doubt that you could shoot at 1/8000th of a sec with strobe and not be using a leaf shutter. even at 1/500th on a Hassi that was pushing it. everything i have ever experienced says that is not possible with a curtain type shutter.

i also don't believe 400w/s heads are enough power to beat direct sunlight. the einsteins are 640w/s and they struggle to beat direct sunlight with direct unmodified strobe.

i'm not buying it....but please, i would be thrilled to be proven wrong.
Totally understandable doubt there, the other people i've shown this to didn't beleive it until i gave them a demo
i'll take some test shots and post them here to prove it works
I have only tried this with elinchrom flash heads I have no idea if it works with other brands
APS-H Fanboy

agierke

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 06:43:57 PM »
did some quick internet digging and found this:

This is your answer. With focal plane shutters and dedicated speedlights using HSS/FP sync up to 1/8000 sync isnt an issue. But if you are talking about studio lights (monolights and packs) things get really tricky. With leaf shutter cameras you can shoot past 1/1000 sec sync with studio strobes. What you need is a slow or delayed sync similiar to what was used with old school 1970s m-series camera syncs and class m-series flash bulbs for a slow sync delay (because it took about 20-25 milliseconds to reach illumination with these old flash bulbs). Today we use Pocketwizards with Hypersync for an advanced time sync.

You need these things to sync above 1/250 sec with focal plane shutter cameras and studio strobes:

Pocketwizards (camera must have a Pocketwizard MiniTT1 or FlexTT5) using Hypersync with the peak or tail method
The correct camera AND studio strobe combo.
A studio strobe light with a SLOW flash duration

According to Pocketwizard, sensor size and flash duration are the two biggest factors in how well Hypersync will work. You can get a very clean sync without clipping well past the 1/250 sync mark. How much more? Depends on your strobe and camera combo. You can get anywhere from 1/320 -1/8000. It is not easy to get the 1/8000 sync and factors depend with certain camera, strobe combo and ambient light. Good studio strobes to use with Pocketwizard Hypersync are: Profoto, Dynalite and Elinchrom with slower "S" head flash duration. I shoot with the Bowens Explorer 1500 strobe pack which has extremely high flash durations but doesnt have any slow flash durations for Hypersync to work well:1500w/s = 1/4,170s, 1000w/s = 1/5,700s 32w/s = 1/3,380s. The slowest flash duration I have on my pack is 1/3,380s.

A lot of posts on the topic so you can read more here:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-9884-9903-9906
http://photo.net/photography-lighting-equipment-techniques-forum/00Y5Q8?start=10
http://photo.net/photography-lighting-equipment-techniques-forum/00YrJV

comes from this site....scroll down:

http://photo.net/photography-lighting-equipment-techniques-forum/00ZySf

also found this mod for Nikon users:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/d70/discuss/72057594105643058/

interesting stuff. i will have to look into it further (when i have the time) because i have long wished for the capabilities of a leaf shutter in terms of flash sync for my digital shots.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 06:43:57 PM »

agierke

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 06:50:53 PM »
well, the einsteins appear to have a flash duration anywhere from 1/588th to 1/13500th of a sec so i guess it would depend on the mode and the power settings as well as getting a radio transmitter that could control the timing of the flash pop.

hmm....im interested.

*edit*

sry for the spam posting but i am very intrigued by this notion.

found this link as well directly pertaining to canon cameras and speedlights. still unsure of how to incorporate different brand monoheads though.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-9991-10030
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 07:02:38 PM by agierke »

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 07:47:34 PM »
this guy also talks about the HSS on studio stobes he calls it hypersync
http://flashhavoc.com/phottix-odin-ttl-trigger-review/

"Hypersync

HSS – High Speed Sync up to 1/8000th  for Studio Lights. This is not an official feature or mentioned in the manual, but “tail method Hypersync”, that’s HSS for manual speedlights or monolights, is available from the Odin transmitter. The timing is not adjustable though so the results will vary depending on the lights and camera used. There have been some promising results reported though already.

To enable hypersync simply connect your speedlight or monolight to the Odin receiver via the PC sync cord supplied (you can place a fully manual speedlight straight on the Odin Rx hotshoe as well). Then set the Odin TCU to HSS, and set the camera to any shutter speed over 1/250th.  This generally requires full power with speedlights to achieve a fully lit frame, and often full power with monolights too. Power loss is similar to FP HSS but monolights have more power available anyway."

he is saying the monolight power is reduced too which does make sense i'll have to check it out on mine
i might just order a strato reciever to test anyway
in anycase a 400ws studio strobe has a ton more power and headroom than even the most powerfull speedlight.
and the price of the elinchrom d-lite4 IT kit is pretty unbeatable for the quality IMO (elinchrom modelling bulbs and modifiers are not cheap though but i buy these elinchrom to bownes adapters and then buy bownes modifiers
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pro-Adapter-Mount-Ring-interchangeable-mount-Elinchrom-to-BOWENS-S458-/160778413846?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item256f23e716
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 07:53:03 PM by wickidwombat »
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 07:47:34 PM »