November 28, 2014, 10:43:51 PM

Author Topic: New EOS-M Lenses Soon [CR2]  (Read 14981 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
New EOS-M Lenses Soon [CR2]
« on: January 17, 2013, 12:21:06 AM »
More EOS-M Lenses Soon

We’re told 3 new EOS-M lenses will be announced in the coming months. A 55-300 style lens will appear along with a “fast prime” first, followed by a super zoom with a new EOS-M body.

We’ve had a lot of unconfirmed announcement dates over the last few months, so I’m not going to post any dates until I get full confirmation. For now, expect these announcements before April.

No word on the specs for the new EOS-M body, we only know it will have some kind of a viewfinder.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

New EOS-M Lenses Soon [CR2]
« on: January 17, 2013, 12:21:06 AM »

LukieLauXD

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: New EOS-M Lenses Soon [CR2]
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 12:30:29 AM »
WUT WUT. I just got my M though. T_T If it's like a M-pro, I'm going to cry.  >:(

ddashti

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 12:39:38 AM »
I'm looking forward to new regular EOS lenses, although news about EOS-M is always something interesting to "observe."

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 12:40:43 AM »
WUT WUT. I just got my M though. T_T If it's like a M-pro, I'm going to cry.  >:(

I think it will be... so cry now.  :D  You'll cry even more because it will have a swivel screen + EVF + a little bit more buttons.  :D

dolina

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 12:41:35 AM »
How about a fast prime that is lower than f/1.0 :) Like say f/0.95 or f/0.7.
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

Bigmaxy

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 12:44:16 AM »
Had previously heard the rumors of an M2 so it's not so much of a shock. I can accept that my EOS-M doesn't have a built in flash or EVF since it is what I bought.

What I have a problem accepting is the crap AF speed and the lack of a firmware update to address it. If it turns out to be a hardware problem and something that requires a new model to fix I'll be very very very annoyed with Canon.  (Unless they do me some kind of unheard of deal to upgrade)

Ricku

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 12:45:38 AM »
Such an uninteresting camera.

The EOS M is a failure compared to other well established mirrorless cameras on the market. Fujii, Olympus, Sony (and of course Leica) simply kicks it into oblivion.

Canon came late to the game, and they should have gone with a full frame sensor. A FF mirrorless from Canon could have shaken things up, but instead they just made more of the same.  :P
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 12:48:18 AM by Ricku »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 12:45:38 AM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 01:08:22 AM »
Had previously heard the rumors of an M2 so it's not so much of a shock. I can accept that my EOS-M doesn't have a built in flash or EVF since it is what I bought.

What I have a problem accepting is the crap AF speed and the lack of a firmware update to address it. If it turns out to be a hardware problem and something that requires a new model to fix I'll be very very very annoyed with Canon.  (Unless they do me some kind of unheard of deal to upgrade)

You may want to use the screen to touch-focus.  I find that it a lot faster.

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 01:56:13 AM »
Such an uninteresting camera.

The EOS M is a failure compared to other well established mirrorless cameras on the market. Fujii, Olympus, Sony (and of course Leica) simply kicks it into oblivion.

Canon came late to the game, and they should have gone with a full frame sensor. A FF mirrorless from Canon could have shaken things up, but instead they just made more of the same.  :P
Again, nobody is surprised to see you bashing Canon's products. As usual you don't prove your point to why say it's a failure. It's like you didn't get the idea of this product. It's  a consumer camera providing high margins for Canon. A great platform for them to start developing a whole new series of lenses for. I would say it was smart of them to start by launching the expected high volume model ahead of any higher end product. They get the word out, they get to sell a lot of lenses going with it and finance further development for this platform.

Canon being the dominant player in the camera market will have resources to bring to market a number of interesting products should they see this segment grow further.

Bigmaxy

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 03:11:20 AM »
This is probably not the right place to defend the current model since we are talking about new stuff. But I still love the concept and am pleased with my purchase (except for the focusing speed). Obviously it is no replacement for my 7D but I can use my extensive collection of lenses and effectively carry 2 DSLR bodies with suitable L series lenses.
Thumbs up from me.
Hope the new model has wifi/gps/built in flash. 

Bengt Nyman

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • 5DI, 5DII
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 04:36:32 AM »
Canon came late to the game, and they should have gone with a full frame sensor. A FF mirrorless from Canon could have shaken things up.
Agreed !!

Woody

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 04:55:26 AM »
Canon may have been late to the game, but they could have sold many EOS-M units if only they AF as fast as the Oly/Panny MILCs.

Anyway, a new EOS-M with super fast AF (as good as Oly/Panny/Sony/current Fujifilm) and some decent OVF/EVF decent may entice me to sell my Oly OM-D and Panny lens setup. The reason? I can use lenses like the 35 f/2 IS interchangeably between the 6D and EOS-M cameras.

Wild

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Born to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 05:03:19 AM »
Again, nobody is surprised to see you bashing Canon's products. As usual you don't prove your point to why say it's a failure. It's like you didn't get the idea of this product. It's  a consumer camera providing high margins for Canon. A great platform for them to start developing a whole new series of lenses for. I would say it was smart of them to start by launching the expected high volume model ahead of any higher end product. They get the word out, they get to sell a lot of lenses going with it and finance further development for this platform.

Canon being the dominant player in the camera market will have resources to bring to market a number of interesting products should they see this segment grow further.

I think I'm going to have to side with Ricku on this one.  Canon went the aps-c route, which is better than another company that I won't mention, but it's still something that's been around for a while.  So now we're stuck with something that has specific lenses that won't be of any use to a full-frame sensored mirrorless if they choose to go down that route in the future.

Part of being the best camera manufacturer in the world, is using your dominance in the industry to bring innovation and new ideas to the table that your competitors simply can't afford to compete with.  Canon could have easily churned out a mirrorless with a 5d mark ii-like sensor in it with a similar body style to the EOS-M, and kept it priced competitively.  Sure it isn't necessarily the epitome of innovation since Leica has been doing it for years, but at least it would be light years ahead of Canon's competitors.  And don't tell me the glass would be way more expensive - there are plenty of good cheap Canon full-frame lenses, they could easily make new ones for a mirrorless.

It's not like the EOS-M is a bad camera, it's the what-if that's disappointing.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 05:03:19 AM »

PhilBarker

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 05:48:59 AM »
I have to say I've owned my EOS-M for a month now and it's border-line unusable

I've been waiting endlessly for a firmware update and it doesn't seem like ones going to come. The AF is so slow I constantly miss shots.

Compared to the fuji line up it really is poor. I think if a firmware update doesn't come by end of this month that sadly my EOS-M will be going on ebay and i'll be buying a fuji CSC instead :(

CanNotYet

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 07:01:37 AM »
Here's hoping they just slap the mirrorless into a Rebel body, plus touchscreen, EF-M mount, and EVF instead of OVF. They are churning those out at an astounding rate anyway, so it could be priced competitively. Canon could probably brute-force into the EVIL/MILC market with a setup like that.

It would also "train" customers into thinking mirrorless is not only for small/unergonomical/"useless with good/heavy lenses" form factor. (not that most people here are already screaming for it...)

:)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 07:01:37 AM »