October 21, 2014, 11:54:53 AM

Author Topic: The tax monster is coming soon. What are you planning on doing with your refund?  (Read 21027 times)

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
While it's not as sexy as cameras and lenses... maybe radio poppers and promo promo promo... custom leather albums, canvas samples, metal samples... cant sell it if you dont show it. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

awinphoto

• View Profile
    • AW Photography
What the hell is a tax refund:o :o  ;D

If you overpaid in taxes (in the USA), you can typically get the refunded taxes back in a refund.  =)  no guarantees in other countries. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Wildfire

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Student loans.  :(

2n10

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
It will go towards something in one of my hobbies.  I just haven't decided yet.
Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 100 Macro, EF 50 1.4, EF 70-300, EF 100-400L

bluegreenturtle

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile

If you overpaid in taxes (in the USA), you can typically get the refunded taxes back in a refund.  =)  no guarantees in other countries.

He was being sarcastic.  I thought the same question...the only people the get refunds are the people have "jobs".   

awinphoto

• View Profile
    • AW Photography

He was being sarcastic.  I thought the same question...the only people the get refunds are the people have "jobs".

I had that suspicion... but erred on the thought he could be from Europe or the like that do not get tax refunds =) 

robbymack

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Given that with the latest tax changes we are about $1200 poorer every month, I do not believe I'll be buying anything. :(

I would say that sucks, but if you are loosing $1200 a month to a 2% tax increase I don't feel sorry for you.

It's a lot more than 2%.

Then you are doing something wrong and need a better accountant

canon rumors FORUM

gmrza

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile

.. and if you overpaid taxes, you were giving an interest-free loan to the taxman!  That's why it's better to owe - that way the taxman can give you an interest-free loan for a few months...
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

stoneysnapper

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
For the first year in about 10 I wont be getting a tax rebate (UK terminology). I had a lucrative business deal last year that sees me needing to pay a low end 6 figure tax bill by the end of January. There'll be tears in my eyes that day at the Bank.... I'll be paying more tax in the UK this year than Amazon did probably, joke.
1Dx, 7D, 24-105, 70-200 IS II, 16-35 II, 100mm Macro IS, 85mm F1.2L II, 24mm F2.8 IS, 18-200, Sigma 1.4x, Canon 2x iii, 430EXII, 600EX- RT, ST-E3 Fuji x100s and X-T1

FatDaddyJones

• Rebel T5i
  • Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
    • View Profile
Spent mine already (and then some) to compliment my 7D video rig. I'll probably be spending next year's tax return very shortly on some new glass. :)

5D Mark III
Battery Grip
Lexar 800x 64Gb CF
DSLR Shoulder Rig w /Follow Focus & Matte Box
Zoom R16 & Sure PG42 Studio Mics
Rode VideoMic with dead cat
Benro tripod and ball head
New overclocked Core i7 desktop PC for editing w/ Nvidia GTX 660ti also overclocked
5D Mark III, 7D, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 70-300mm IS USM, EF-S 17-55mm IS USM, Redrock shoulder rig, matte box & follow focus, Rode Videomic, Zoom R16, Sure PG42, DSTE Pro BG-E11, Excella Neo D400 Studio Strobes, Excella Stardust 50, 580 EX II, lots of other fun stu

RC

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Nothing from tax refunds.  I try to break even so I don't have to pay or receive a refund.  I've already been taxed on my income, I don't want to be double taxed by getting a refund. 

I too use side money to fund my hobby, but now that the government is stealing more of our money ( new tax increases), my photography will take a hit. 

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Nothing from tax refunds.  I try to break even so I don't have to pay or receive a refund.  I've already been taxed on my income, I don't want to be double taxed by getting a refund. 

I too use side money to fund my hobby, but now that the government is stealing more of our money ( new tax increases), my photography will take a hit.

I do the same, I try to juggle my W4 entries throughout the year, when I'm working W2 jobs (rather than 1009 contracting which I'd MUCH rather do)...so that in the end, I either only get back $100 or I pay $100 in taxes.

I see no reason to give the govt a tax free loan throughout the year, just so they can waste that too.

One thing I'd suggest....incorporate yourself, and that way...you can make all those photography purchases tax deductions.

Make it work for you, rather than have the tax man take your 'toy' money.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 12:56:01 PM by cayenne »

bluegreenturtle

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Given that with the latest tax changes we are about $1200 poorer every month, I do not believe I'll be buying anything. :(

I would say that sucks, but if you are loosing $1200 a month to a 2% tax increase I don't feel sorry for you.

It's a lot more than 2%.

Then you are doing something wrong and need a better accountant

If he is in a very high tax bracket, then it could indeed be a lot more than 2%.  But if he's making that much he's probably not a pro photographer/videographer and is a hobbyist.

canon rumors FORUM

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile

If he is in a very high tax bracket, then it could indeed be a lot more than 2%.  But if he's making that much he's probably not a pro photographer/videographer and is a hobbyist.

I dunno, I saw this guy on Creative Live, and he billed out over $1M this year. He started in about 2008 and over $1Million in business this past year.

http://salcincotta.com/

It can be done....

crasher8

We also do our best to limit a refund and not being overtaxed and allowing the govt to earn interest on our own money (too much) and this is coming from a staunch liberal!
However with many business deductions and mortgage interest lowering our taxable income it just happens!

So I think an EF 70-200 2.8 IS ll should be a great way to pump some more money into the economy through B&H.

canon rumors FORUM