September 22, 2014, 04:47:36 PM

Author Topic: Don't order camera gear from Dell.com online store  (Read 19764 times)

timkbryant

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: saw this blog about recieving wood instead of 5d mk3
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 12:25:05 AM »
If it is true, it confirms my preference to buy from actual brick-and-mortar stores. It gives you the ability to open the box in the store and remove any doubt of tampering.

If it is a scam, it is an ingenious way to go about it. It would be difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt when the alleged camera-flooring switch occurred.
Bodies: 5D Mk III; 1000D
Lenses: EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 70-200 f/2.8 L; EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS
Flash: 580 EX II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 12:25:05 AM »

lrf

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Re: Don't order camera gear from Dell.com online store
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 12:27:31 AM »
I recently ordered a 24-70 2.8 from Amazon.  When I opened it a 24-105 lens was inside instead.  All of the documentation indicated a 24-70 only the lens was different.  It looked like someone had bought both and returned the less expensive lens in the 24-70 box.

Amazon customer service was excellent in handling the situation.  I would not hesitate to purchase camera gear from them again.

jdavidse

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 01:06:59 AM »
I once bought a Sony PSP from Walmart and when I opened it had a big rock in it.  I don't doubt this happens but this guys story, especially the pictures are fishy. 

Wildfire

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 02:02:47 AM »
Like taking picture of the exact moment when you cut open the tape. Even if you photo the unboxing, you would never take that exact moment, unless it's the meant for evidence the tape wasn't tampered earlier. So in this case it proves it's fake/scammer wanting to steal 2 cameras from Dell.
My friend sends me unboxing pictures like that all the time for fun. Doesn't mean it's a hoax.

It's quite possible someone ripped of several cameras from the Dell warehouse.

BrandonKing96

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 02:50:10 AM »
There was a story here a month or so ago how one of the local stores had sold an iPad, the person took it home, opened the box, and found a hunk of wood.... They brought it back to the store and were in a heated argument with the store manager when another customer came back with the same complaint. An examination of thier stock found a box of wooden ipads.... and all the boxes looked like they were factory sealed.

This type of thing does happen.
That type of thing does happen, but come on.. Twice?? And just happened to take pictures of everything before the actual product box? And well yeah it does happen... the amount of customers I had complain to me when their CD/Game case was completely sealed and there was nothing in it.

Oh well some people are lucky, others aren't, and others are just good at lying too.
Canon 5D Mark III and Canon 60D; EF-S 10-22; EF 70-200 f/4L IS; EF 24-70 f/2.8L II; 580EX II.  Soon to add: 50 1.2L, 135 f/2L, 8-15L

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2013, 03:30:27 AM »
Like taking picture of the exact moment when you cut open the tape. Even if you photo the unboxing, you would never take that exact moment, unless it's the meant for evidence the tape wasn't tampered earlier. So in this case it proves it's fake/scammer wanting to steal 2 cameras from Dell.
My friend sends me unboxing pictures like that all the time for fun. Doesn't mean it's a hoax.

It's quite possible someone ripped of several cameras from the Dell warehouse.

Possible yes, and I can't prove it's hoax, but it smells real fishy.

Check the photos your friend has sent, how many times he has photo of the exact moment when he's cutting the tape open?

Also unless more people come out with similar story, what's the chances that he gets exactly the two boxes of wood, especially when they shipped from Dell ~1 week separate?

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2013, 03:07:18 PM »
It is possible that someone inside Dell is stealing merchandise and putting junk in the box, that sort of thing happens.  Things like this also happen in shipping, where a shipping employee does the same thing.
However, it does not deserve a headline like this one, it seems more like someone has a grudge against Dell. 
Passing on unsubstantiated Rumors like this one is not the smartest thing to do.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2013, 03:07:18 PM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2013, 04:50:02 PM »
Just bumped into this ridiculous story, floor wood instead of 5D3!!  :o  :o
I wasn't expecting such thing from Dell.

Just my 2 cents:
I just don't believe this story. I bought many items through amazon, BH, adoroma and ebay....never have this type of problem :-X
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

nonac

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Marty Beck Photography
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2013, 05:43:20 PM »
This kind of thing happens. Whether this particular one is real, I don't know. However, I do know it happens.  I'm an internal auditor in my day job and in my many years of auditing I've uncovered all sorts of fraud cases. The thing is, if someone is doing this at Dell or the shipper, they will eventually get caught. Greed is very powerful and it makes the crook steal more and more. I have worked with law enforcement to set traps in theft cases with hidden cameras to catch thieves that can't stop. Keep in mind, thieves don't think they are going to get caught or they wouldn't attempt it.
5d Mark III, 24mm f/1.4L II, 24-105 f/4L IS, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100 f/2.8L IS macro, 135 f/2L, 3x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, EF 1.4x III

a-hopps

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2013, 06:04:01 PM »
I have to say. I just received my 5dIII from B&H today and I recorded the unboxing after reading this. Just in case. ;)
5d Mark III, 7d, 24-70 f2.8L II, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 85 f1.8, 40mm f2.8, 600 EX-Rt, Alienbees, Konova slider, etc...

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2013, 06:06:52 PM »
I can easily imagine the guy taking all the pictures of the unboxing. I did the exact same thing when I got my 400 f/2.8, and something similar when I got my iPF8100.

It's pretty clear that there's some sort of fraud going on. While it's possible it's the irate customer is the one committing the fraud, I have no trouble believing that the distribution center got compromised, that several boxes had cameras replaced with flooring, and they do so little business that the replacement was sent from the same compromised batch (or that an employee was doing the replacement on the fly, and the same one handled both orders). One would think that Dell would have ordered an immediate inspection of the inventory, including sampling of that particular lot, but it's not at all hard to imagine the sort of corporate incompetence that would result in that not happening. Especially if order fulfillment was (as Dell admitted) outsourced to the lowest bidder.

I trust B&H, and they'll continue to get my business. Dell...well, everything about Dell that I've ever dealt with has been about nothing but the lowest bidder and driving down prices. I value my money too much to waste it by being cheap.

b&

Lenry

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2013, 06:17:07 PM »
I purchased an EOS 20D online from Circuit City and received a small camera bag instead. The shipping weight showed the weight of the box and the tiny point and shoot camera bag, and I used that as proof that I never got the camera. I eventually did get the camera, but don't remember if I bought it from Circuit City.

thepancakeman

• 6D
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2013, 06:42:32 PM »
Just my 2 cents:
I just don't believe this story. I bought many items through amazon, BH, adoroma and ebay....never have this type of problem :-X

I saw a new article the other day that there was a car accident.  I don't believe it--I've been driving for 25 years in all 50 states and have never had an accident.   ::)

Just because it's rare and/or never happened to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen. 

As for the pictures being staged--I guess if I was photographing an unboxing I might include a cutting the tape shot.  And I'd certainly take pics (or preferably video) of every single step the second time around.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2013, 06:42:32 PM »

ChilledXpress

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2013, 07:16:22 PM »
Yea, this does happen a lot. Do any of you shop at Fry's Electronics (California)... this is a pretty common type of scam where people buy and then return either an older product or something of similar weight. There was an incident last year where a pallet of iPads was obviously sacked and had wood planks cut to match inside over 30 boxes. This was done with great care as no one actually found out until a bunch started to get returned.

As for unboxing and photographing/video... Youtube search will show that tons of people think this is a awesome way to show off new toys. Lame I know but happens all the time!

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2013, 07:47:14 PM »
Just my 2 cents:

I saw a new article the other day that there was a car accident.  I don't believe it--I've been driving for 25 years in all 50 states and have never had an accident.   ::)

Just because it's rare and/or never happened to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen. 

As for the pictures being staged--I guess if I was photographing an unboxing I might include a cutting the tape shot.  And I'd certainly take pics (or preferably video) of every single step the second time around.

About "little green people" on youtube, do you believe that too?
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2013, 07:47:14 PM »