December 22, 2014, 09:03:16 PM

Author Topic: 1D Mark V [CR1]  (Read 17505 times)

KWSW

Re: 1D Mark V [CR1]
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 10:05:43 PM »
Oh darn this just threw my plans to get a 1D4 this month back to the drawing board again. Maybe I should just look for a used 1D4 instead since by the time (if its really a sept announcement date) stock allocation will be enough for the normal stores will be sometime next year I guess...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 10:05:43 PM »

Stone

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 11:11:40 PM »
I'll probably never make a dime from my photography, but I'm seriously considering buying this body if this rumor is true.  It makes sense to me to release this body first so Canon can work out any af issues well before the Olympics next year. 

I'm most interested in the DR improvements that Canon's made since their last ff sensor, I'm expecting major improvements in that regard.  If it comes in at $6k or less and I can get a relatively clean ISO 12,800, I'll stand in line at B&H to buy this.
5D III gripped | 7D gripped | 35L | 24-70 2.8L II USM | 70-200 2.8L IS II USM | 85 1.8 |

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 11:19:55 PM »
Sounds logical to me. If the rumors hold somewhat true, and Canon introduces a full-frame 1DV for $6K, I will order one up ASAP.

Close your eyes, click your heels together three times,
and repeat after me:

"I will not make purchase decisions based on a rumor"

;)

UncleFester

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 01:32:09 AM »
This rumor is about the 1DV not the 1DsIV. For the 1DV I expect nothing less than the 1DIV, meaning 9-10 fps on FF, with a low res (21 MP ?) and with the same price of the 1DIV.  The merging of high res and speed should be the highest priced camera 1DsIV, maybe about 40mp. Sony seems they are going for a low res and high res FF cameras too.

I agree with this continuation of the 1D series split. It makes the most sense if the 1DV is  to be a full frame and still affordable to splurging non-pros. Then the 1Ds could be the high megapixel, high cost body possibly revised chassis with some kind of bomb-proof super metal or even plastic for weight reduction.

motorhead

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 06:31:38 AM »
I can see the sense in merging the two into a single model, but it will be a difficult trick to get right.

If Canon propose a merger of the 1D and 1Ds then the camera will have to significantly improve on what both cameras currently offer their respective customers. That's not going to be easy!

Offering a miserable 21mb on full frame is never going to cut it, even 32mb is borderline these days. I am in the market for a 1Ds with 40mb and improved DR and will not be buying if it's not giving me that. I'm not interested in how many fps I can get as I've never used what I've already got and would be perfectly happy with zero fps.

If Canon satisfy me, then they will struggle to offer the photo journalists what they want. If Canon had actually released the 32mb 1Ds4 rumoured a year or so ago, then I'd have happily bought it, but they decided against it and since then things have moved on. Medium format is beginning to re-establish itself and any 1Ds replacement needs to take that threat seriously.

Picsfor

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 07:12:34 AM »
If you pop over to the Nikon Rumour's site, you will see they are expecting a D4/400 release for September time.

Canon are no doubt watching the Nikon camp carefully, and i fully expect a release to match that of the Nikons.

Apart from the 5DII, Canon really don't have any thing to match Nikon's at the moment, and were it not for the MP values, i think Canon would be suffering even more than they are.

A 1D5 would be more than welcome if it was full frame at 21mp with 8fps and an iso that was comparible to now or 1 stop better. Space for 2 CF cards would also be welcome, along with built in wifi.

As a current 5DII owner, i'm more than happy with the 21mp, and would leave the higher MP for the landscape and still life bods...

mrcrsr

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 09:08:41 AM »
Let's go Canon.
Money is ready and waiting for being transferred to you :-)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 09:08:41 AM »

chito

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 09:37:37 AM »
It actually makes sense to me to have a 1DV "merged".. too bad we wouldn't have a "cheaper" 1D camera... but a 40 megapixel FF 1DV would have a roughly 23.6 megapixel aps-h crop... processing on digital crop mode would be roughly twice as fast (almost 2X fps as in FF mode).. sounds great to me

ronderick

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2011, 10:17:07 AM »
Well, since we're talking about possibilities, what's preventing Canon from releasing a FF 1D5 to replace the APS-H format 1DIV, but still come out with the 1Ds4?

That will probably satisfy the majority of users (save for those who'll miss the x1.3 crop) while still keeping the line split, aka. retain the pricing difference ;D
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2011, 11:55:59 AM »
Well, since we're talking about possibilities, what's preventing Canon from releasing a FF 1D5 to replace the APS-H format 1DIV, but still come out with the 1Ds4?

Probably just their desire to have less active lines of sensor development.  However, if a 1D5 were to share a sensor with another higher volume FF, like the 5D3; it could actually work to their benefit.

WarStreet

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2011, 12:32:42 PM »
As I said above, Why you are thinking that the 1DV is going to replace the 1Ds and 1D series, leaving nothing in the 1D price range ? Is it obvious that the high res and speed merging would happen in the 1Ds price range and the 1D series will just continue as usual probably FF leaving the same price ranges as before ? The naming of the camera is not important, but price ranges are, and they can't leave the price range of the D3s/D4 out.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 12:41:20 PM by WarStreet »

x-vision

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2011, 02:25:18 PM »
As I said above, Why you are thinking that the 1DV is going to replace the 1Ds and 1D series, leaving nothing in the 1D price range ?

The merged 1-series camera - the 1DV - will be in the 1D price range, not in the 1Ds price range.

The thing is, the 1D price range is no longer $4K as some tend to believe. 

Canon is selling the 1DIV for $5K and Nikon is selling the D3s for $5.5K.
This is the new price range for this class of camera - whether you like it or not.

$5K is the new $4K ;).
Expect that 1DV to push that price at introduction - but then to come down to $5K within a year.

Canon does not want to sell you a 1-series camera for $4K anymore. These days are gone.

Moving the 1DV to FF will be just another justification for increasing the price.
You can see the same trend with the new 'big-whites' (300L, 400L, 500L, and 600L) - they are all more expensive than the lenses they replace.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 02:32:39 PM by x-vision »

Stone

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2011, 02:46:50 PM »
As I said above, Why you are thinking that the 1DV is going to replace the 1Ds and 1D series, leaving nothing in the 1D price range ? Is it obvious that the high res and speed merging would happen in the 1Ds price range and the 1D series will just continue as usual probably FF leaving the same price ranges as before ? The naming of the camera is not important, but price ranges are, and they can't leave the price range of the D3s/D4 out.

I agree with this, if the 1D lines merge creating a single flagship body, it would need to compete with the D3x at the 7$K+ price point.  That would leave a huge price gap between the 5D and 1D bodies.  It would more than likely alienate sports shooters and serious amateurs accustomed to buying in the $4.5 - $5K price range.  I can't see Canon giving up those sales to the Nikon D4 or feeling generous and giving us their flagship at a more reasonable price that would appeal to a broader demographic.  If the lines really do merge, Canon either has to continue selling the 1DIV, keep this unified 1D body in the $4 - $6K price range or add a 3rd FF body to their lineup.

I think we'll continue to have the 1D at 24-32 MP FF with crop mode shooting at 10+ fps in the $5K range and the 1Ds probably at 40MP or more no crop mode shooting at 3-4 fps in the $7K+ range.  My only questions is what could Canon add other than the increase in MP to justify the premium over a 1DV.  They would be able to compete with Nikon quite well with this kind of lineup even though Nikon has a few more bodies to fill in the gaps.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 02:51:29 PM by Stone »
5D III gripped | 7D gripped | 35L | 24-70 2.8L II USM | 70-200 2.8L IS II USM | 85 1.8 |

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2011, 02:46:50 PM »

UncleFester

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2011, 04:28:23 PM »

My only questions is what could Canon add other than the increase in MP to justify the premium over a 1DV.  They would be able to compete with Nikon quite well with this kind of lineup even though Nikon has a few more bodies to fill in the gaps.

They could do all sorts of stuff that they would just leave out of the 1D, 5d, 7d. Like I posted earlier: body re-design and add to that a higher-tech battery design would be huge. Not that super mega-pixels in it'self wouldn't be.

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2011, 07:46:39 PM »
Since it seems fairly plausible now that we have a CR1 level rumor about a 1D release (relatively) soon and that, according to what I have read on tis thread, we can expect a price tag of $6k .... I have two questions:

1) How long of a period after the new 1D is released do you forsee the new 5D released?
2) If the new 1D is at the $6k range as this thread suggests, at what price point would the 5D be at?

My guesses are 6 months after the 1D we will see a new 5D, and the 5D would come in at $3k.

if you mean 1d5, then it won't be related to the 5d3, imho.

- if 1ds4 is next out of the stable, then:
- - 5d3 with same sensor will be at least 6 months, probably closer to 12 behind.
- - 5d3 with lower sensor could be closer, even 3 months behind.

- if 5d3 comes first, then:
- - 1ds4 will have much higher mp than 5d3.
- - or 1d5 will be FF with faster crop-mode (1.3x at least 20mp) and 1ds is dead.

- if 1d5 comes first, then:
- - 1d5 will probably be ~20-25mp, dual digic V, same AF/FPS/etc as other 1d.
- - timeline for 5d3/1ds4 won't be affected

either way, any potential 1ds4 and 1d5 both announced at latest by 1Q 2012, on shelves in number before Olympics. If the 1 bodies come sooner, we *might* even see a 7D2 just before the Olympics...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2011, 07:46:39 PM »