October 21, 2014, 11:57:39 PM

Author Topic: 1D Mark V [CR1]  (Read 17030 times)

Edwin Herdman

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: 1D Mark V [CR1]
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2011, 09:25:34 PM »
The Mark III refresh being postponed for a 1D Mark V doesn't really make sense to me because, even with a 7D-like (or far better) AF sensor, I'd guess it'll still likely be a far cry from the Mark V's.  The old 39 point sensor of the 1D Mark II / N strikes me as possibly being, even today, an upgrade from the relatively simple AF sensor of the 5D Mark II.

And the 7D being mentioned - well, the 7D having a much better AF sensor than the 5D hasn't been seen to prevent Canon from releasing it out of deference to the Mark II.  Sometimes it's just tech's time to go.

My personal thought is that these lines should be regarded and released separately, as pros require.  The 1.3x crop factor sounds somewhat useful for sports photographers and possibly PJs, but so is the 1.6x crop (on the other hand that 1.3x crop seems to have significantly better DR and ISO than even the best APS-C crop camera, which would tip the balance for many pros).  On the other hand, having the best-est and most up-to-date-est DSLR be a 1.3x crop instead of a FF is a significant drawback for studio photographers.  It's not just DR or burst speed, but it's a mix of these things and more.  Plus, the direct access controls of the 1D series bodies would be very welcome in challenging situations.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2011, 09:25:34 PM »

shorthand

« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2011, 01:23:12 PM »
Along these lines, a new Wi-Fi module from Canon just cleared the FCC at the end of June. Interestingly, look at the size - its perfectly sized to be a small part of a pro-sized DSLR.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2011, 03:20:49 PM »
Along these lines, a new Wi-Fi module from Canon just cleared the FCC at the end of June. Interestingly, look at the size - its perfectly sized to be a small part of a pro-sized DSLR.

The link is to a letter sayings It will be only equipped in a "Medical Device" and for indoor use only.

Why would anyone remotely think its for a camera??

chuckjr

« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2011, 05:45:23 PM »
Let's face it, how many of us own DSLRs we bought more than two years ago?
Maybe those early ($8k a pop) adopters of the 1Ds are using three year old bodies but since then so much has changed that Canon has to make an effort to differentiate the bodies and make the super pro level camera worth the extra $3-$5K over the 5D (or equivalent full frame).

shorthand

« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2011, 06:08:15 PM »
I didn't have time to read the full filing ... so definitely scratch that "insight".

I was actually looking for a filing on a new RF flash controller from Canon - nothing yet on that front, which means that they're either cutting it close or won't be shipping anything until October at the earliest.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2011, 06:08:15 PM »