July 29, 2014, 08:19:21 AM

Author Topic: 1D Mark V [CR1]  (Read 16361 times)

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
Re: 1D Mark V [CR1]
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2011, 07:57:09 PM »

I don't believe a word of it.

Surprises are upcoming, I believe.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2011, 07:57:09 PM »

rbr

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2011, 11:30:26 PM »
The 1D IV has only been around for about a year and a half. Why would Canon be replacing that fantastic camera already? There are people out there who like its crop believe it or not. It's ideal for many big telephoto users. If Canon is coming out with a Mark V that has full frame for a lot more money, I will happily pass on it. The current Mark IV is just about perfect to me. There is apparently a lot of whining on the internet for a fast full frame camera. I do hope Canon comes out with one so they can be happy.

Stone

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2011, 01:07:34 AM »
The 1D IV has only been around for about a year and a half. Why would Canon be replacing that fantastic camera already? There are people out there who like its crop believe it or not. It's ideal for many big telephoto users. If Canon is coming out with a Mark V that has full frame for a lot more money, I will happily pass on it. The current Mark IV is just about perfect to me. There is apparently a lot of whining on the internet for a fast full frame camera. I do hope Canon comes out with one so they can be happy.

Canon will produce a fast, FF body because Canon's number 1 competitor already offers multiple, fast, full frame bodies.  If a crop mode is offered, the big telephoto users will still have their crop factor while allowing the ability to go ultra wide when necessary, something alot of APS-H users complain about.  If we finally get this kind of body, other than the price which is also a matter of speculation, everyone wins.

I shoot everything from landscapes to sporting events, this would be the ultimate camera for myself and thousands of others, I'm glad you're happy with the 1DIV, it means 1 less person competing for what will surely be limited stock if this turns out to be real.

cheers...   
5D III gripped | 7D gripped | 35L | 24-70 2.8L II USM | 70-200 2.8L IS II USM | 85 1.8 |

WarStreet

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2011, 02:47:18 AM »
Since it seems fairly plausible now that we have a CR1 level rumor about a 1D release (relatively) soon and that, according to what I have read on tis thread, we can expect a price tag of $6k .... I have two questions:

1) How long of a period after the new 1D is released do you forsee the new 5D released?
2) If the new 1D is at the $6k range as this thread suggests, at what price point would the 5D be at?

My guesses are 6 months after the 1D we will see a new 5D, and the 5D would come in at $3k.

New cameras should have launch and eventual reduced prices similar to their previous version price pattern. Electronics technology improvement is the ability to give more for less.

Lenses is a different story, they can't improve the optics while reducing costs the same way as the electronics in the camera, so the only way to have a better lens is usually to spend more :(

Exchange rates and radical changes might effect the prices. 

motorhead

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2011, 05:01:44 AM »
To those of us who have been to a greater or lesser extent patiently waiting for the 1Ds mk4, it does seem unfair that Canon are updating the 1D after such a short period.

But don't forget the target market for the 1D. Sports Journalists form a large chunk of that market and we have the 2012 London Olympics looming ever closer. Canon updated the camera for the last Winter Olympics so at least they are running true to form.

I would personally argue from my own observations at motor events that the 1Ds is also a very popular choice for this very same niche, but Canon seem convinced that the 1D is THE camera and I can only assume they have sales figures that support thier position.

Certainly there is no benefit in not updating the 1D. That just offers the Olympics to Nikon on a plate.   

Polansky

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2011, 06:12:45 AM »
Very plausible rumor despite its CR1 status.

Me personally thinks that this 1D V might be priced equally as the current 1D (so around the 5000 mark).

We know what happened to 1Ds when Canon introduced the 5D MKII. Sales of the 1Ds dropped dramatically despite is superior body and features over the 5D.

My thought is that we will get a crippled 5D3 again with again a bad autofocus system.
Canon wants current 5D2 owners not to upgrade to the 5D3, but rather have them upgrade to the 1D and therewith earn more money, due to larger profits on the 1D camera.

Those who say that 1D IV is only just over a year old, should better look at the release dates of the 1D.

First 1D released september 2001
1D MK II January 2004
1D MK IIn August 2005
1D MK III February 2007
1D MK IV October 2009

That means that the average life cycle of the 1D has been about 14 month since 1D MKII.

Therefore it makes sense that Canon could release a new 1D camera by september.

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2011, 10:19:23 AM »
canon has there flagship pro solutions show at london islington on october the 25/26 i put my life this new camera will be at this show.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2011, 10:19:23 AM »

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2011, 11:26:40 AM »
canon has there flagship pro solutions show at london islington on october the 25/26 i put my life this new camera will be at this show.

Whoa, hold the phone there ... I'd call that a rather sizable wager.

well this cr1 rumour says end of sept announcement would make sense for them to bring this or announce it at the show dont you think?

UncleFester

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2011, 12:08:25 PM »

My thought is that we will get a crippled 5D3 again with again a bad autofocus system.
Canon wants current 5D2 owners not to upgrade to the 5D3, but rather have them upgrade to the 1D and therewith earn more money, due to larger profits on the 1D camera.

This was my thought as well but my reasoning is that they'll sell a crippled 5DIII to a new owner, who will eventually wind up buying a 7D for the autofocus. (I would think larger profits for small cameras with less R&D this time around with bigger sales). (But you're right, current 5D owners will probably not tolerate another crappy AF system).

Side note: Canon wants Non- 1D owners carrying 2 bodies.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2011, 12:45:37 PM »

This was my thought as well but my reasoning is that they'll sell a crippled 5DIII to a new owner, who will eventually wind up buying a 7D for the autofocus. (I would think larger profits for small cameras with less R&D this time around with bigger sales). (But you're right, current 5D owners will probably not tolerate another crappy AF system).

You can have AF speed at the expense of accuracy (7D), or AF accuracy at the expense of Speed (5D series), or both speed and accuracy (1D series).

That seems to be Canon's way of differentiating models.

I prefer AF accuracy over speed, but would like both, of course.

We can always hope for both in a new 5d type camera.

Stone

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2011, 01:23:16 PM »

Also, if Canon releases another crippled 5D, new and existing customers have a high performance option from Nikon in the same price range.  The only people stuck would be those heavily invested in Canon EF glass.  Those moving up from crop bodies will more than likely be upgrading their lenses and brand new customers have to start from scratch with glass anyway.  The D700 shook things up by giving their customers just about everything (except video) right out of the gate.  I don't think crippling the next 5D is an option, it might not have 7D quality af but it should be light years ahead of what they have now.

I agree with you about Canon wanting people to carry 2 bodies, as an amateur, something I refuse to do.  That's why I'm thankful for the competition from Nikon.  If the 1DV is too costly or the 5DIII doesn't meet my expectations, I have another option in the D4 or D800
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 01:26:55 PM by Stone »
5D III gripped | 7D gripped | 35L | 24-70 2.8L II USM | 70-200 2.8L IS II USM | 85 1.8 |

ronderick

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2011, 11:22:51 PM »
You can have AF speed at the expense of accuracy (7D), or AF accuracy at the expense of Speed (5D series), or both speed and accuracy (1D series).

That seems to be Canon's way of differentiating models.

I prefer AF accuracy over speed, but would like both, of course.

We can always hope for both in a new 5d type camera.

I'm actually hoping for the exact opposite.

Personally, I think the 7D AF is developped for the serious-amateur market (as opposed to the intro-models AF in the XXXDs and the 45-point AF in the 1D-series). While Canon has long refused to make the AF system of the 1D available to the lower models, it realized that they have to offer something better, since the D300-line of Nikon already possess their upper-grade AF.

I think its safe to say that the next 5D would have a similar system as the 7D, which is still not as good as the pro-line but would be enough to quench the complaints of current 5D2 users.

As for the 1D... I think the AF system, built, and weathersealing is quite enough to set the pro model apart from the others (Yeah, and the $$$ too) ::)
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

UncleFester

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2011, 01:20:57 AM »

I think its safe to say that the next 5D would have a similar system as the 7D, which is still not as good as the pro-line but would be enough to quench the complaints of current 5D2 users.

I would think that a 5D with 7D autofocus would pretty much kill off the 7D. Right now the 7D is their most high-tech supermodel of the sub-1D line.

Although a 5D/7D model would quench some complaints. :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2011, 01:20:57 AM »

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2011, 02:16:21 AM »
I would think that a 5D with 7D autofocus would pretty much kill off the 7D. Right now the 7D is their most high-tech supermodel of the sub-1D line.

not necessarily. has the 1d ever killed off the 1ds sales because it's got the same AF? if there's anything anyone agrees on around here, it's that the 5d2 did more to kill sales of the 1ds than the 1d ever did.

FF 1ds, best AF, decent (5fps) framerate Vs 1.3x 1d, best AF, best (10fps) framerate.
Go down a rung.
FF 5d3, 2nd best (19pt) af, not as good (3.9fps) framerate Vs 1.6x 7d, 2nd best (19pt) af, 2nd best (8fps) framerate.

Sure, i'd be tempted by a 5d3, FF with ~25-30mp, 19pt AF, ~4fps.
but it'll be a lot more expensive than the 7d (or 7d2), which will have higher noise, aps-c, 8fps, etc.
even if i buy a 5d2 (or 5d3), you can guarantee i'm still taking my 7d (or 7d2) out into the field with a Great White Prime (if i could afford one) to shoot birds in good light.
same as if i had a 5d2 (or 5d3) and a 1d4 (or 1d3, 1d5). 5d2 goes to the indoor low-light and hiking for wide landscapes, 1d4 goes with the tele lens for sports.
horses for courses.
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

UncleFester

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2011, 03:00:35 AM »

not necessarily. has the 1d ever killed off the 1ds sales because it's got the same AF? if there's anything anyone agrees on around here, it's that the 5d2 did more to kill sales of the 1ds than the 1d ever did.

FF 1ds, best AF, decent (5fps) framerate Vs 1.3x 1d, best AF, best (10fps) framerate.
Go down a rung.
FF 5d3, 2nd best (19pt) af, not as good (3.9fps) framerate Vs 1.6x 7d, 2nd best (19pt) af, 2nd best (8fps) framerate.

Sure, i'd be tempted by a 5d3, FF with ~25-30mp, 19pt AF, ~4fps.
but it'll be a lot more expensive than the 7d (or 7d2), which will have higher noise, aps-c, 8fps, etc.
even if i buy a 5d2 (or 5d3), you can guarantee i'm still taking my 7d (or 7d2) out into the field with a Great White Prime (if i could afford one) to shoot birds in good light.
same as if i had a 5d2 (or 5d3) and a 1d4 (or 1d3, 1d5). 5d2 goes to the indoor low-light and hiking for wide landscapes, 1d4 goes with the tele lens for sports.
horses for courses.

Well, the 5D2 sales killing off some 1Ds makes sense. Same IQ for shooting weddings at a 3rd of the price?  The 5D2 can do it! But it can't hit a moving object well and the 7D can.
But I should have made my statement more clear: If the 5d picks up the 7d auto focus with a even just a 5fps rate (like the 1ds) there is not much sense in carrying around a 7d. Unless, however, the 7Ds IQ improves dramatically, which I doubt will happen anytime soon.

Then the price point. My thoughts is there is a point in amateur or weekend-pro photography where there is,are diminishing returns (I actually spoke with a pro about this) and it seems to be around $2500 usd. So, anything beyond that, for a least me anyway, would have to be freakin' fantastic and again negate the need for a 7D back-up. So, if MY theory holds, price between a new 7D and 5D will be as close again. Not a huge jump like going from 5d to 1D, 1D to 1Ds.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2011, 03:00:35 AM »