August 27, 2014, 05:05:27 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 6D test data and further impressions on DPreview  (Read 8021 times)

bigmag13

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 6D test data and further impressions on DPreview
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 10:34:51 PM »

Wifi is super useful! Today I did a studio shoot of some family photos, their first question after a photo is taken, "Can I see the photo?" ... My answer: Why yes! Yes you can! Here's a monitor plugged to my laptop that is using my phone as a hotspot so I can remotely download pics to my laptop and for you to preview! Tadaa! take a pic, and voila! on monitor. Each time!

Wifi is super useful, group photo on new years eve with friends, set camera on tripod, aim roughly, check on phone everyone's okay and press the shoot button while the phone is behind my back. Easy! I've been wanting this feature for almost a decade.

Sure! The phone app is a bit slow at times, and the features are limited. But seriously guys! You're photographers! Throw your camera on M and the phone app has all the basic things. If you need more fancy features then just use a laptop.

I just plug an old router into the wall when I use my laptop and it makes my eye-fi card way faster than any phone could as a hotspot. this is a good alt if when shooting your plunged into the wall anyways.

this wortks for me "the iphone user" lol
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 10:36:47 PM by bigmag13 »
5D3,5D2,6D,70-200 2.8Lii, 135L, 24-70Lii, Sigma 15 fisheye, Sigma 35 1.4(A), Zeiss 2/50, 600rt x3 and a st-e3 RT

tortilla

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 04:15:31 AM »
The DR difference gets a lot of hype way, way, more than is justified considering the relatively narrow range of image cases that it really brings benefit to.

Sure, if I would only do studio work with controlled lighting I wouldn't care. But when doing architecure and landscape I quite often loose details in the shadows or even have to overexposure (even at ISO 100).

If DR is a hype than resolution and sensor size are overhyped too. Maybe they really are - but I'm a pixelpeeper and love details in larger prints.

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 05:04:30 AM »
The whole 6D vs D600 / 5D vs D800 debate seems to mainly centre around dynamic range.

Perhaps someone can explain the following to me:

Before the introduction of the 5D mk3 in UK, you could not find a second hand 5D mk2 for love nor money. If there was one it quickly sold for the new price less tax.

Similarly second hand D700 were scarce untill introduction of D800, and again sold for new price less tax.

Now I see the second hand market is littered with D800s, but try and find a used 5D mk3. If the DR of the Sony chip is so obviously superior why is the market showing discarded D800s ?

Woody

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 06:27:13 AM »
DR is not a hype it is a fact and it needs skills to use it , no one will have less DR or a lens with lower resolution
Hello, can I have a 300/2.8 MK3 IS with lower resolution- please

While I will also like to see marked improvements in low ISO DR from Canon, Panasonic and Samsung sensors, I do not harp on it like it's the only thing that matters in life.

I seriously what's gonna happen to you when the above manufacturers finally match the low ISO DR of Sony sensors? Will you lose your purpose in life? :D

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 07:49:58 AM »
Now I see the second hand market is littered with D800s, but try and find a used 5D mk3. If the DR of the Sony chip is so obviously superior why is the market showing discarded D800s ?

have you checked that or pulled it out of your nose?

when i check ebay here i see 19 used D800 and 16 used 5D MK3.
not much of a difference.
Before jumping to conclusions, you might want to check a poster's location  ;). There are actually no 5D MkIIIs available on eBay in the UK, compared to 7 D800s.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 10:17:38 AM »

Before jumping to conclusions, you might want to check a poster's location  ;). There are actually no 5D MkIIIs available on eBay in the UK, compared to 7 D800s.

@Kernuak, thanks for the support with that one  :)

I could have responded by stating that the last thing I pulled out of my nose strongly resembled the perpetrator of such an insult, but as the vast majority of CR posters have much more decorum than this I shall resist. ;)

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 10:38:44 AM »

yeah well excatly... he jumps to a conclusion without giving any infos about how he came to the conclusion.
im glad you realized it after my posting...  ;)

i don´t dare to say a greater percentage of people return the D800.
because i have no hard facts on how many are sold and returned.

maybe the D800 outsells the 5D Mk3 by a factor of 3:1... who knows?
in the end... it´s 600 euro cheaper where i life.

so 19 vs. 16 looks pretty good from my numbers.
but it´s only my numbers as you noticed. ;)

ps:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-22-3-MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-with-kit-lens-24-105mm-L-/290847027264?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item43b7d57040
I didn't say he/she didn't jump to conclusions, the difference was the insult, which quite frankly was unnecessary. That's the thing with the internet, it's far too easy to insult someone without the risk of a broken nose :P.
As for the kit, it didn't come up in my search. While it could be argued it is described as new, other, one of the 7 D800s I found was described the same way.
The point is though, that going by a single market and/or selling portal doesn't always give a true reflection of relative numbers. My impression (without any real facts), is that the 5D MkIII has outsold the D800 in the UK, but that would appear not to be the case in other countries. One reason for the impression, is the number of 5D MkIIs and 7Ds that have come on the used market (not necessarily eBay).
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

David Hull

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 12:39:18 PM »
DR is not a hype it is a fact and it needs skills to use it , no one will have less DR or a lens with lower resolution
Hello, can I have a 300/2.8 MK3 IS with lower resolution- please

The DR itself is not hype; I never said that it was (read my post again).  However, much of the discussion surrounding it definitely involves a lot of hype and tends to raise a lot of unnecessary FUD.  What is a fact is this:  With a few cameras, you will get two additional stops of noise performance in the deep shadows when you dial the gain in the camera to ISO=100.  If noise is really your concern, you will always do better with a multi-shot approach, in cases where you can do so.

DR should be looked at as a feature, just like a 100% VF, In-body IS, Tilt screen, 61 point AF or any other of those things that you may be considering.  You need to figure out where it benefits you and where it does not and then determine how much it is worth in any decision you may be making.  It doesn't affect the general IQ of the camera (this is where the hype generally creeps in), just a small set of corner cases that may or may not be important to any given photographer.