September 02, 2014, 08:14:04 PM

Author Topic: New Rebel T4i vs 60d/7D  (Read 8795 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: New Rebel T4i vs 60d/7D
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 11:14:44 AM »
Actually it was rather one of their smartest marketing decisions, because the missing AFMA is the reason why people spent more money and take the 7d instead of the 60d (at least I did).

Ymmv, but that's the reason I don't have fast Canon primes except for my legacy crappy 50/1.8 from the analog days - in my case, Canon has been loosing money.

The possibly smart reason is that 3rd party primes probably are more often in need for afma, so on 60d you're likely to be stuck to Canon primes or search a lot for a copy w/o afma requirement.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 11:14:44 AM »

Rocguy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 11:24:36 AM »
I would just get the Rebel in your case. Upgrading from APS-C to another APS-C doesnt make things different much. Just save ur money til u can a "real" FF upgrade. 7D i only suggest it if u need the high FPS. Next level from Rebel is 6D imho. An upgrade should be a real difference not a different body material and button layout. Fullframe is more different noise wise, lens FOV wise etc.

I appreciate this input. At this point I'm really not ready to spend the money on a 6D or above since I'm really still learning. I can get the new Rebel with an 18-55 lens for $649. That's a price point that doesn't scare me at this point. :) A FF would be nice but I guess I don't even know what I'd do with it yet. Lol

As far as waiting for the T5i I'm afraid to keep waiting. I'm seeing completed auctions on eBay for my XSi for around $300 right now. For this 5 year old camera! That makes upgrading even cheaper. I don't want to wait till the resale value of what I have to drop more. And as far as it goes I could probably resell the t4i in the nearish future and not lose a whole lot if I decide to upgrade again. These things seem to keep their value on the resale market better than a lot of tech toys.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 11:28:18 AM by Rocguy »

enraginangel

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 11:28:15 AM »
I own a T4i, a 5D Mark III and I used to own a T3i. The T3i was my first camera and I owned it for about 6 months before I upgraded, but I was a very quick study. Going from a T3i to a T4i, I was very annoyed with the new touch controls. I felt like I was in less control of what I was doing.

I know you said you were an amateur amateur, but if you know how to use your XSi comfortably then I think the T4i would be a step backwards. While you can still control the T4i the same exact way as the T3i, the T4i does have more automatic functions that take you of the driver seat. If you want that, then by all means, get the T4i. If you feel like you have a comfortable command over your XSi and can shoot manual from time to time, the T4i will just be like an annoying backseat driver.

ishdakuteb

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 12:23:08 PM »
i am one of those 7d owners and also had a chance to use t4i (friend's camera) to shoot last thanksgivin' event.  i can tell you that t4i image quality and noise performace is better than both 60d and 7d.  but if you are asking which one of these 3 that i am going buy, i still stick with the 7d because of build quality and easy access during shoot, etc...

yes, i can see that you have said, "I'm a very amateur amateur"... well... i do not know what to say but you must figure out how much you are loving photography and how much you are willing to spend your time and money to learn about it.  if you do not have much time to spend for photography, 60d is my suggestion since you can probably find this around t4i price...

...my 2 cents
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 12:32:07 PM by ishdakuteb »

ashmadux

• Rebel T5i
  • Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
    • View Profile
    • Edward Ofori Photography
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 12:59:32 PM »
Apart from the extra noise, the t4i should have better image quality than all of them. the 7d suffers from softness and too much noise. the t4i has correction data for chromatic aberrations and such that neither the 7d nor 60d have (if im not mistaken). The t4i was found to have a much sharper image  than those others as well. (thus, more noise)

The xsi was well renowned for its pixel level sharpness. I still reach for it when i need razor sharp pic, though the metering is very old hat and can be an image detriment compared to t2i (especially) and up.

see the sharpness comparison tool here- its pretty dramatic.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=458&FLI=0&API=4&LensComp=458&FLIComp=0&APIComp=6&Camera=474&CameraComp=474&Sample=0&SampleComp=0
Be the best you, screw everything else.

greger

• Rebel T5i
  • 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2013, 04:08:39 AM »
This link might be helpful.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-Rebel-T4i-vs-Canon_EOS_7D

I bought the 7D, which I love. I didn't want to replace my Compact Flash Cards and I like the AFMA feature even though all my lenses work just fine.

Canon 7D | EFS 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM - EF 50mm f/1.8 Mark l - EF 100mm f/2.8 IS USM Macro - EF 70-200mm   f/4 L IS USM- EF 100-400    f4.5-5.6 IS USM - 1.4 ll and 2X ll Extenders

wellfedCanuck

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 10:36:53 AM »

Not that the 60D is one- but if you just need a decent car- a Hyundai will do- don't let someone upsell you to a Cadillac. If you plan on building a hotrod, entering car shows or going on rallys- buy a Chevy, Corvette or Range Rover.

This analogy I understand. I guess my question is is it better to get a brand new Hyundai vs a 2year old Cadillac with slightly older technology.
The 60D isn't a Cadillac. It's just a Hyundai with cruise control and power seats.
Don't take my advice. Don't even take my advice not to take my advice.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 10:36:53 AM »

FatDaddyJones

• Rebel T5i
  • Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 11:55:19 AM »
I've got a 5D mark III and a 7D, and I just got my hands on a T4i today. It's an awesome little machine. I recommended it to a friend to get as a first DSLR, and my dad is considering buying one too. For a hobbyist shooter, I think it's a great camera, with intuitive controls and lots of great features, like the ability to tap-to-focus on the touch screen. Sure there are cameras that can push a little farther here and there, but for the above average shooter - this thing blows most cameras away and is more than sufficient. When buying, ask yourself what you want, what you need, and what are you willing to pay. If you need ruggedness and 8fps, go for the 7D. If you need video AF and user-friendly interface, I recommend the T4i. Don't sell this camera short. It's a great piece of equipment. If you're really itching to upgrade from the Rebel line, save up for a full frame camera like the 6D or 5D3. ( just my two cents).
5D Mark III, 7D, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 70-300mm IS USM, EF-S 17-55mm IS USM, Redrock shoulder rig, matte box & follow focus, Rode Videomic, Zoom R16, Sure PG42, DSTE Pro BG-E11, Excella Neo D400 Studio Strobes, Excella Stardust 50, 580 EX II, lots of other fun stu

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2013, 12:06:37 PM »
If you need ruggedness and 8fps, go for the 7D. If you need video AF and user-friendly interface, I recommend the T4i. Don't sell this camera short. It's a great piece of equipment.

I don't doubt that, but as personal advice to a friend I'd also recommend to have a look at the now very cheap 60D if you don't need the 650d video af/touchscreen or the 7d fps or af spread - the 60d has a good mix of usability and features.

LANA

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2013, 02:45:28 AM »
This comparison might be useful for you
http://t4ivst3i.com/canon-rebel-eos-t4i-vs-60d-comparison /

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2013, 03:00:03 AM »

Not that the 60D is one- but if you just need a decent car- a Hyundai will do- don't let someone upsell you to a Cadillac. If you plan on building a hotrod, entering car shows or going on rallys- buy a Chevy, Corvette or Range Rover.

This analogy I understand. I guess my question is is it better to get a brand new Hyundai vs a 2year old Cadillac with slightly older technology.
No offense, but anything is better than a used American car.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2013, 03:00:03 AM »