Gear Talk > EOS Bodies - For Video

Should I go with a 6D or a Mkii while they're cheap

<< < (2/8) > >>

JonS:
I have just been contemplating that particular choice, and I went for the 5D II.

What tipped it? - partly I think the fact that Canon rate the 5DII as 'Platinum' level camera and the 6D as a 'Silver' level camera for CPS membership.

I am not a member - dont have enough stuff yet (how do I put the sad smiley in here?), but to me it says quite a lot about what Canon think of these 2 in terms of professional use.....Just my 2 cents, as the guys across the pond say.

jon

ManixLiquid:
I tried the VAF-5D2b filter on the 6D. While most of the moire is gone (you have to set the sharpness at -4 when shooting), the video quality is "soft". If you try to add sharpness in post, the moire comes back. The few tests I did, the 6D is better for indoor shooting. Outdoor is more difficult. I can't get details for wide shots (background subjects appear too soft in my opinion).

verysimplejason:

--- Quote from: JonS on January 18, 2013, 02:44:35 AM ---I have just been contemplating that particular choice, and I went for the 5D II.

What tipped it? - partly I think the fact that Canon rate the 5DII as 'Platinum' level camera and the 6D as a 'Silver' level camera for CPS membership.

I am not a member - dont have enough stuff yet (how do I put the sad smiley in here?), but to me it says quite a lot about what Canon think of these 2 in terms of professional use.....Just my 2 cents, as the guys across the pond say.

jon

--- End quote ---

It seems 6D is on the same level as 5D3 and 5D2 at least on points...

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1257832

Niterider:

--- Quote from: fodnarbodnar on January 17, 2013, 11:23:20 PM ---Hey guys I've seen other threads about this but no updates really in a couple week with any new valuable information. So I'm currently shooting on a T2i of my own but often renting out either 5D mkii's or mkii's even now, (I'm an independent filmmaker) and I finally have the cash on hand to upgrade my own camera so I don't have to spend the money on rentals. If i had the money i'd be getting a mkiii but money is tight snd i shoot with sigma lenses so slong with upgrading my body i need to upgrade my glass as well. Now I know the mkii is a workforce and still capable of great things especially when I can pick up the 5Dv2 moire filter to eliminate that issue. But with the arrival of the 6D I'm kind of torn. I know that the moire on this is even worse but I'm worried if I pick up a mkii now while they're cheap, i could miss out on something great in the 6D with it having the new processor and even higher iso capabilities. Any thoughts?

Again if money wasn't an issue I know the mkiii would be the obvious Answer but 3500 clams is a lot when adding the cost of lenses and what not.

--- End quote ---

If you are in independent film maker and thus use a DSLR primarily for video work, don't forget that Magic Lantern works perfectly on the 5d mark ii. The 6d doesnt have ML yet. My recommendation is definitely the 5d mark ii. It has been the workhorse of countless videographers and photographers for years.

Plus at the prices it has been going at, its a bargain for how good of a camera it is.

dstppy:
One option the 6D & Mk3 have is Tight AND Wide MFA - a great feature for dialing in Zooms, vs primes.

"I'm switching to Nikon" doesn't even have that :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version