December 19, 2014, 08:07:49 AM

Author Topic: Canon: not responsible for typos?  (Read 2349 times)

Ryan_W

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Canon: not responsible for typos?
« on: January 18, 2013, 12:01:32 AM »
Okay - off topic weirdness of the week.

In the latest Canon e-mail blast on Canon Live Learning seminars, the following disclaimer appears at the bottom of the e-mail:

Not responsible for typographical errors. Images and effects are simulated.

I just kind of shook my head at that vague, catchall psuedo-legalese.  Reminds me of the stuff people put on e-mails about "delete all copies of this e-mail" if you arent the intended recipient. el oh el.

canon rumors FORUM

Canon: not responsible for typos?
« on: January 18, 2013, 12:01:32 AM »

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
Re: Canon: not responsible for typos?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 12:12:21 AM »
Reminds me of when I looked through T+C of some things sometimes.
Normally they say "errors and omissions excepted" (meaning that if they stuff up something in the T+Cs then what they "really meant" is what counts, not what they wrote).
Except I have also read "errors and omissions accepted". Which means if they stuff up in the T+Cs then they'll accept it as their own fault. But given how that's an "error", using 'accept' instead of 'except', I wonder if they could argue that that error is also excepted (even though they wrote accepted).

Man, sometimes it's fun to play English against people who didn't pass High School.
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 01:25:38 AM »
High school?

Unfortunately, half or more of the people who graduated from college can't use the language correctly -- at least here in the U.S.

Reminds me of when I looked through T+C of some things sometimes.
Normally they say "errors and omissions excepted" (meaning that if they stuff up something in the T+Cs then what they "really meant" is what counts, not what they wrote).
Except I have also read "errors and omissions accepted". Which means if they stuff up in the T+Cs then they'll accept it as their own fault. But given how that's an "error", using 'accept' instead of 'except', I wonder if they could argue that that error is also excepted (even though they wrote accepted).

Man, sometimes it's fun to play English against people who didn't pass High School.
You're offended? Oh, really! Life IS offense -- get used to it.

sandymandy

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 03:59:08 AM »
Same here in germany. Imho it has nothing to do with the education level. Some people just cant even speak their native tongue properly.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 03:59:08 AM »