October 26, 2014, 05:46:13 AM

Author Topic: Single raw real estate photos  (Read 8001 times)

kirispupis

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Single raw real estate photos
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2013, 11:36:29 AM »
Haha, well I hope you're not taking offense at anything I said, because that would be quite unfounded.  I certainly never condoned doing a half ass job.  My point, which you might have missed, is that RE photography doesn't quite belong in the Louvre.  You seem like a fairly aggressive salesman with a relatively high opinion of your work, so I'm sure that helps you market yourself to a degree.
The last time I was in the Louvre I saw mostly paintings - not so many photos.  I agree that most RE photos will never make their way to a fine art gallery - but that is irrelevant.  They are different genres and I honestly cannot understand fine art photography at all.  That profession is more connections + drugs + self marketing and I'll never understand it.  The important thing is RE photography is extremely difficult to get right.  It is similar in difficulty to most other genres.
I do have a high opinion of my work.  Any professional photographer needs this or he/she shouldn't be in business.  That being said, do I believe I am the best architectural photographer out there? - No.  There are numerous others who are better, but with each job I work to improve myself to reach their level.

However, the key to your work, your leg up...is that you used your wife's connections...which is not a bad thing either.
Not sure how this is relevant to the conversation.  This discussion is not about how I obtain my business.  It is about how I complete the jobs I have.

Another key, is that you live in probably the wealthiest place in the country, so it's not as hard to imagine being able to charge a lot of money to do your work.
Not true and not relevant.  I live near Seattle, which is above average but far from the wealthiest.  There are numerous areas in California, New England, and the Atlantic coast that are higher.  Several neighborhoods in S Florida are pricier than the worst here.
In addition, the point I was making is it doesn't matter what you charge for your work - you are a professional and owe the sellers your best work.  If you do not feel it is worth the effort for the pay, then don't take the job.  For the sellers, regardless of their economic profile, this is a huge transaction.  You are being hired to drive more traffic to their home - which will increase the odds of sale and the realized sales price.  I have photographed mobile homes and I have photographed waterfront mansions.  My properties have ranged from $30k to $12M.  In all of them I did the best work possible because I chose to do that job and I owed the sellers my full attention.

So, no, my work is unlikely to be regarded as a new breakthrough in photography that will hang on millions of homes throughout the world, but it is extremely important to the sellers who depend on me to help sell their home.  Every RE photographer owes their clients respect and professionalism.
5D3|TS-E 24 II|TS-E 17|TS-E 90|200-400/1.4x|MP-E 65|100/2.8 IS Macro|70-200/2.8 IS II||16-35/2.8 II|EOS M

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2013, 11:36:29 AM »

Cgdillan

• Canon 70D
  • HDSLR Cinematographer/Photograper
    • View Profile
    • Stockham Media
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2013, 05:32:31 PM »
This post was not to judge anyones work ethics. I do RE photos part time. The agent asked me to do a quick cheap job last second for a RENTAL property. I did not post this for people to judge me, but for people to judge an extremely quick RE job with single raw photos and no additional lighting. I usually spend much more time on RE photos but this was a special situation. So I thought I'd share. It's not half assed. It's quick. Now for the amount of time that I was able to shoot, I gave it my all. I would say that is a full ASS in a short period of time. rather than half assed...
2x 5D mkiii, 7D, 60D, T2i, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Bower 14mm f/2.8, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, 24mm L f/1.4 ii, Sigma 35mm ART f/1.4, 24-105mm L f/4.0 IS, 50mm f/1.8 ii, 85mm L f/1.2 ii, 100mm L Macro f/2.8 IS, 135mm L f2.0 75-300mm f/4-5.6, 70-200mm L f/2.8, Sigma 70-200mm OS f/2.8. StockhamMedia.com

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2013, 12:08:06 AM »
Krispupis, I'm sorry if you felt attacked by what I said.  I was mostly speaking to Cgdillan, not to you.  Apparently I somehow may have gotten the two of you mixed up, perhaps I was reading a quote within a post?  I don't know.  Somehow my eyes got crossed with my brain!

Cgdillan, sorry if it looked like I was faulting your work ethics.  I didn't mean to do that at all.  I wasn't saying it was unethical.  And I assume someone else referred to those shots you posted at the top as "half assed", it was not me.  In fact, my whole point was that they were more than nice enough.  Then you seemed to take offense to that!  So it seemed like you were taking it all a bit too seriously.  I mean, I don't think I could have done any better (or maybe not as well)...in the same situation...even if I had done a lot of RE on the ground, which I have not.

I really was responding to the criticisms of others, who just seemed to be raising this type of photography to an art form that I personally don't think it is, that's all I was saying.  It's just my opinion.  I'm sure to many of you it is a high art form.  Certainly high end homes can be quite stunning.

I mean...I think of landscape photography, such as your other work, as more the aspirational high art form.  I guess it kind of goes back to "beauty in the eye of the beholder".  I aspire to the same art form, myself...for fun, and would also like to sell some of it sometime.  You certainly live on the correct coast for it!

Cgdillan

• Canon 70D
  • HDSLR Cinematographer/Photograper
    • View Profile
    • Stockham Media
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2013, 01:20:49 AM »
Krispupis, I'm sorry if you felt attacked by what I said.  I was mostly speaking to Cgdillan, not to you.  Apparently I somehow may have gotten the two of you mixed up, perhaps I was reading a quote within a post?  I don't know.  Somehow my eyes got crossed with my brain!

Cgdillan, sorry if it looked like I was faulting your work ethics.  I didn't mean to do that at all.  I wasn't saying it was unethical.  And I assume someone else referred to those shots you posted at the top as "half assed", it was not me.  In fact, my whole point was that they were more than nice enough.  Then you seemed to take offense to that!  So it seemed like you were taking it all a bit too seriously.  I mean, I don't think I could have done any better (or maybe not as well)...in the same situation...even if I had done a lot of RE on the ground, which I have not.

I really was responding to the criticisms of others, who just seemed to be raising this type of photography to an art form that I personally don't think it is, that's all I was saying.  It's just my opinion.  I'm sure to many of you it is a high art form.  Certainly high end homes can be quite stunning.

I mean...I think of landscape photography, such as your other work, as more the aspirational high art form.  I guess it kind of goes back to "beauty in the eye of the beholder".  I aspire to the same art form, myself...for fun, and would also like to sell some of it sometime.  You certainly live on the correct coast for it!

I was not upset with your responses at all.. I was more responding to kirispupis.. I appreciate your effort to clear the air very much though. Thank you.
2x 5D mkiii, 7D, 60D, T2i, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Bower 14mm f/2.8, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, 24mm L f/1.4 ii, Sigma 35mm ART f/1.4, 24-105mm L f/4.0 IS, 50mm f/1.8 ii, 85mm L f/1.2 ii, 100mm L Macro f/2.8 IS, 135mm L f2.0 75-300mm f/4-5.6, 70-200mm L f/2.8, Sigma 70-200mm OS f/2.8. StockhamMedia.com

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2013, 02:43:05 AM »
You're welcome...apparently we got in a circular firing squad!

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2013, 06:10:51 AM »
This was a cheaper job I did and instead of the standard 5 shot bracket fused together with LR/Enfuse, these just single raw shots edited in LR. Let me know what you think =-)

The rest of the photos here

The rest of the photos here
FANTASTIC!
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2013, 06:10:51 AM »