December 18, 2014, 03:41:22 AM

Author Topic: Patent: Noise & Aliasing Reduction for Small Pixels  (Read 9225 times)

HurtinMinorKey

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
Re: Patent: Noise & Aliasing Reduction for Small Pixels
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 04:38:35 PM »
Rubbish ... The 5DIII produces no moire or aliasing in video, whereas the D800 is about the same as the 5DII.  Nikon is behind on this.

To bad it also has a trademark lack of detail.  And the effective resolution isn't even 1080 vertical.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 04:38:35 PM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 06:13:46 PM »
This patent won't frighten the competition as both Nikon and even Pentax are well ahead and already have camera sensors with no anti - aliasing filters and they apparently work.

While Canon makes the finest top of the range lenses I can't help thinking they are falling behind with their sensor technology.

Don't expect much from the 7D II somehow - except delays - perhaps even the same old sensor. Well you can't have everything!
[/quote
Rubbish ... The 5DIII produces no moire or aliasing in video, whereas the D800 is about the same as the 5DII.  Nikon is behind on this.

I was actually referring to the Nikon D800e for which there is no Canon equivalent!

D800E which has more moire and aliasing than D800? :D  Excellent for stills... Bad for movies.

Etienne

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 06:16:57 PM »

To bad it also has a trademark lack of detail.  And the effective resolution isn't even 1080 vertical.

Like every other camera ever built, the 5DIII is not perfect. But it is the best all-round "affordable" media camera available. It has no glaring weaknesses, can be used for every type of photography including sports, and it has many video friendly features like audio level during record as well as for moire-free video that is good enough for broadcast and the big screen.  Not bad for $3000.

When your production skills outgrow the 5DIII, you should be looking at a C300, C500, or Sony FS700, because there isn't anything better in it's price range. ... oh ...and it shoots great stills as well.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 06:39:58 PM »
Don't expect much from the 7D II somehow - except delays - perhaps even the same old sensor. Well you can't have everything!

Not that Canon hasn't done some unfathomably stupid things, but I can't see the 7D's sensor in a 7DII.  The 7D is all that and a bag of chips...except for the high ISO noise.

and low iso noise...

oh and mid iso noise
APS-H Fanboy

Canon-F1

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 06:57:25 PM »
i have looked at the patent and as i understand (*) it this is to reduce banding or streaking.

im not sure if this has something to do with the patterns we see in shadow areas when they are pushed... maybe just wishfull thinking.

(*) the translation from japanese into english is bad and my english is bad too.  ;)

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 07:31:47 PM »
I read thru the patent as well.
It pertains to the need to read data from a large mp sensor without overwhelming the buffer memory with huge quantities of data.  Typical thinning methods cause a color stripe, this one is designed to avoid that. 

This allows for more images to be captured before a buffer fills, obviously a issue for a large mp camera.

Expect this to be used in a high mp camera, its basically firmware.

The patent number is actually 2013-012850, Igami dropped the leading zero.

Here is a quote from the translated text.

It is necessary to memorize a picture signal by four plains of R/G1/G2/B, and to memorize the picture signal of each plain for every frequency band further in the technology of a Patent document 2. Therefore, a mass memory is needed and it is not preferable in respect of cost. Since there are also many required amounts of memory access, when rapidity, such as continuous shooting, is the processings called for, there is a possibility of reaching the maximum of a memory access zone and causing deterioration of processing speed.
[0006]
In order to ease this problem, it is possible to, apply the thinning technology of a chrominance signal as shown in a Patent document 1 to the composition of a Patent document 2 for example, and to reduce required memory space and the amount of memory access.
[0007]
However, in order to interpolate the thinned-out chrominance signal in the technology of a Patent document 1 from the chrominance signal of an adjacent pixel and to restore, a difference arises in the frequency band of a chrominance signal, and the frequency band of a luminance signal, and there is a problem that the color stripe not existing will occur in an object.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 08:04:47 PM »
Perhaps "small pixels" are those on the tiny sensors in the point/shoot cameras? In the global scale of things, APS-C sensors have fairly large pixels...
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 08:04:47 PM »

HurtinMinorKey

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2013, 11:28:43 AM »

When your production skills outgrow the 5DIII, you should be looking at a C300, C500, or Sony FS700, because there isn't anything better in it's price range. ... oh ...and it shoots great stills as well.

Maybe you're not counting the gh2 because it's $2000 cheaper..? And it comes nowhere close to the BMC Camera, which is the same price (but very hard to come by).   The 5D3 is a great stills cam, arguably the best stills cam in it's price range (i think it is). But it's video is mediocre at best.

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 07:03:28 PM »
Maybe you're not counting the gh2 because it's $2000 cheaper..? And it comes nowhere close to the BMC Camera, which is the same price (but very hard to come by).   The 5D3 is a great stills cam, arguably the best stills cam in it's price range (i think it is). But it's video is mediocre at best.
One of the things that gets lost in those translations though is sensor size. Both your other examples are working with 2x or 2.4x crop factors; and while the film world is pretty used to not having as shallow a depth of field as the 5dIII can accomplish, it does still have that advantage.

I haven't seen tests, but, I would like to see the 3 compared in lower light scenes. The cameras being cheap is only useful if you aren't spending a ton of money on lighting, etc; so being able to operate in fairly low, natural light would be another plus on the Canon side.

But man, the image the BMCC puts out is pretty impressive

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 07:03:28 PM »