December 22, 2014, 07:54:00 PM

Author Topic: Canon U.S.A. Raises Awareness About Counterfeit Accessories For Digital Cameras And Camcorders And Promotes Consumer Safety  (Read 17431 times)

RC

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
I don't mind buying third party batteries, as long as that's what I'm looking for, and paying for.  If I'm paying $50+ for a "genuine" Canon battery, it damn well better be real. (I'm talking to you Amazon)

Yip, paid full price for a "genuine" Canon LP-E6 from a Amazon third party vendor (Amazon, ship and sold by, wasn't selling them).  It wasn't until I got my 5D3 that this "genuine" battery wouldn't even power on my 5D3 yet it powered on my 7D just fine.  After closer examination and web research, I identified it as a counterfeit.  I reported it to Amazon and they credited me about the half the price since the battery was a couple of years old.  No more Amazon third party batteries for me.  I'm only buying the real deal from B&H.

I know many of you out there have had good luck with 3rd party batteries, as for myself, I'm not risking a 3rd party battery in my very pricy cameras--I'll pay a few extra bucks.

canon rumors FORUM

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Oh, and while I'm on the subject (still speaking to you Amazon)...  If I'm paying for a SanDisk Extreme you better not send me an Extreme HD Video.  Especially infuriating is the fact you covered up the UPC with a sticker with the part number and UPC for the Extreme.  I'M NOT THAT STUPID!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/permalink/mo379Y8EZA4SQXZ/B001TDL34Y/ref=cm_ciu_images_pl_link
The link was to a item sold by someone called SF Planet, it is not sold by Amazon, nor is it shipped by Amazon from what I see.
Always buy sold and shipped by Amazon, or from a store like Adorama on amazon and you won't be fooled.

DJL329

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
“Play it safe. Power your Canon with Canon Power”

Canon Power ... ACTIVATE!

Shape of...an Explorer of Light. Form of...a fluorite crystal lens element.

I think we're dating ourselves with what are now obscure cultural references...   :-X

LOL, I'll try to remember that the next time someone says "inconceivable."   :P  Actually, the only reason I know of it is because of references to it made on recent shows, such as Scrubs and Mythbusters.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 14mm f/2.8L | EF 28mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 300mm f/4L IS

WoodyWindy

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • On the road again!
    • View Profile
I don't mind buying third party batteries, as long as that's what I'm looking for, and paying for.  If I'm paying $50+ for a "genuine" Canon battery, it damn well better be real. (I'm talking to you Amazon)

The issue here isn't "3rd party replacement" batteries - it is "Counterfeit" batteries. Batteries that are labeled as though they had come from Canon, and therefore their makers are not readily accountable. Big difference. While Canon's response, understandably, is to promote using genuine Canon batteries, that doesn't mean that 3rd party batteries from reputable makers are automatically bad.

Key message - know your source, and who to really blame if your camera flares up in a blaze of glory... :)

WoodyWindy

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • On the road again!
    • View Profile
“Play it safe. Power your Canon with Canon Power”

Canon Power ... ACTIVATE!

Shape of...an Explorer of Light. Form of...a fluorite crystal lens element.

I think we're dating ourselves with what are now obscure cultural references...   :-X

LOL, I'll try to remember that the next time someone says "inconceivable."   :P  Actually, the only reason I know of it is because of references to it made on recent shows, such as Scrubs and Mythbusters.

"You keep on using that word..." of course, in your case, it probably means exactly what you think it means. Equivalent for today's generation - "That's not possible!" (Let's agree to disagree...)

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
Oh, and while I'm on the subject (still speaking to you Amazon)...  If I'm paying for a SanDisk Extreme you better not send me an Extreme HD Video.  Especially infuriating is the fact you covered up the UPC with a sticker with the part number and UPC for the Extreme.  I'M NOT THAT STUPID!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/permalink/mo379Y8EZA4SQXZ/B001TDL34Y/ref=cm_ciu_images_pl_link
The link was to a item sold by someone called SF Planet, it is not sold by Amazon, nor is it shipped by Amazon from what I see.
Always buy sold and shipped by Amazon, or from a store like Adorama on amazon and you won't be fooled.

When I bought it (back in 2011) it was from a different sellers (CTCStore first, MemoryMogul on try two) and fulfilled by Amazon.  Amazon themselves didn't have that card in stock at the time, and I thought that was safe enough, I was wrong.  I've since switched to only sold and shipped by Amazon for anything that could be counterfeited.

RC

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
The issue here isn't "3rd party replacement" batteries - it is "Counterfeit" batteries. Batteries that are labeled as though they had come from Canon, and therefore their makers are not readily accountable....

I think you are right, the 3rd parties are probably just fine, it's those damn counterfeits that are the problem which was my case.  (I'm still sticking with genuine from reliable vendors.)

To sum it up, stay away from counterfeits by staying away from unknown vendors such as Amazon's 3rd party vendors.

canon rumors FORUM

joshmurrah

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
As others have spoken about, if you're buying genuine Canon products, DON'T buy from a non-authorized dealer.  This includes third party sellers with Amazon, even if they're "fulfilled by" Amazon, it doesn't mean they're genuine at all.

I also agree that third party batteries and grips are the only aftermarket items I feel good about purchasing.  Canon's prices on these two type of items are INSANE.  Instead of one Canon battery, I can buy two or three aftermarket chipped batteries and still put some money back into my pocket.
gripped 5DIII, 70-200 f/2.8L II, 24-70 f/2.8L II, 16-35 f/2.8L II, 8-15 f/4L, 50 f/1.2L, 85 f/1.2L II, 2x III, 3x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT

WPJ

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
My issue is this,

my original 7d and 7d accessory battery which I got from blacks a used to be large Canadian photo place anyhow those batteries when I checked them with the canon counterfeit document on there support site they were or would seem to be counterfeit.

the two which I bought from kijiji guy for 60bucks which I figured to be counterfeits according to there document are real....go figure.

but there is no way in hell you can yell me that 2 or 3 cells with protection etc..should cost mo more than what 20-25 bucks....sell them for 50. Buy no rob your customers....they are like 120 each here.....robbery..

msowsun

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
My issue is this,

my original 7d and 7d accessory battery which I got from blacks a used to be large Canadian photo place anyhow those batteries when I checked them with the canon counterfeit document on there support site they were or would seem to be counterfeit.

the two which I bought from kijiji guy for 60bucks which I figured to be counterfeits according to there document are real....go figure.

but there is no way in hell you can yell me that 2 or 3 cells with protection etc..should cost mo more than what 20-25 bucks....sell them for 50. Buy no rob your customers....they are like 120 each here.....robbery..

Can you post photos?  The Canon  "counterfeit document" is very poorly written and does little to show the actual differences between real and fake LP-E6 batteries.

Take a look at this thread:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1015287&highlight=lp-e6

All of these are authentic Canon LP-E6 batterries. Do yours look like any of these?

« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 01:54:24 PM by msowsun »

Sony

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
You guys are right about defining third-party and counterfeit. Canon says nothing about third-parties. I wanted a battery grip for my 5DMKiii and was awaiting until Polaroid's appeared and grabbed it with just $64. Saved a lot, and I am now happy with it. LOL.

lintoni

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Breaking news - Canon have broken into the aviation market and have just signed an agreement to supply genuine batteries to Boeing.
EOS 5D iii, EOS 5, EOS 30, EF17-40L, EF24-105L, EF100-400L, EF100 f/2.8 macro, Samyang 14 f/2.8, 550EX, Magic Lantern

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile

The issue here isn't "3rd party replacement" batteries - it is "Counterfeit" batteries. Batteries that are labeled as though they had come from Canon, and therefore their makers are not readily accountable. Big difference. While Canon's response, understandably, is to promote using genuine Canon batteries, that doesn't mean that 3rd party batteries from reputable makers are automatically bad.

Key message - know your source, and who to really blame if your camera flares up in a blaze of glory... :)

+1

This is about counterfit batteries and other products being sold as OEM.  They have no qualm about cheating you, and if your house / car / airpplane goes up in flames, you can bet that they cannot be found.  These operations are typically garage operations in China, and move around keeping a step ahead of the authorities.  The same type of people that sold poison babies milk in China.
Its the same issue for Nikon and other OEM's.

canon rumors FORUM

Stuart

• EOS M2
  • Hi there, welcome from a photo fan.
    • View Profile
    • JackAllTog on ePhotozine
Counterfeits - fair point - if i'm paying Canon I want Canon.

But 3rd party batteries etc for 20% of the Canon price I get a unit that's rated higher than the Canon one and will 'sometimes' last just as long. Granted the Canon ones may perform a little better toward the end of their lives but not 4 or 5 times better.

3rd party item make photography more enjoyable, Counterfeit items pretending to be Canon are just thieves.
Canon 60D, 24-105, 50 F1.8. 430EX II.
Sigma 10-20, 70 F2.8, 70-300. Studio.
Giotto tripod, Hoya filters.

canon rumors FORUM