September 22, 2014, 12:26:21 AM

Author Topic: Canon ST-E3-RT Mark II???  (Read 3244 times)

Phaeton Place

Canon ST-E3-RT Mark II???
« on: January 22, 2013, 09:18:37 AM »
Hello everyone.  Been lurking for years but have never posted anything until today.

I'm considering purchasing an ST-E3-RT from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Canon-5743B002-ST-E3-RT-Speedlite-Transmitter/dp/B007FH1LJU, but am also reading reports of a newer mk II version with AF assist coming soon. Wondering if anyone has heard about a possible release date?

Thanks,

Mark

canon rumors FORUM

Canon ST-E3-RT Mark II???
« on: January 22, 2013, 09:18:37 AM »

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Canon ST-E3-RT Mark II???
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 10:13:03 AM »
first time ever I hear a Mk. II rumor regarding the ST-E3-RT.
I'd love to see that thing come with an AF-assist-laser [not a flash tube, not an led, none of that yesteryear crap].
Would  be very surprised however, if Canon would really update this rather new item which still has not reached full availability everywhere any time soon.
Do you have a source for that rumor by any chance?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 10:13:27 AM »
The ST-E3-RT is quite new.  Canon would have considered whether to include an AF assist lamp or not in the replacement for the ST-E2, and clearly they decided not to include that feature.  I would not expect them to change their minds any time soon.  If you need AF assist and RT control for remote flashes, you need to buy a 600EX-RT (and I'm sure that was part of Canon's motivation for leaving the AF assist out of the ST-E3).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Phaeton Place

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 10:31:59 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone.  Unfortunately,I don't recall exactly where I saw the mk II version information or if it wasn't perhaps just wishful thinking on the part of some shooters.  It sure would be a nice feature to have though.  I've got two 600EX-RTs and love them.  Just trying to save a few bucks by holding off for mk II if it was coming down the pipe.

Many thanks.

Mark

FunPhotons

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 09:32:55 PM »
I like the ST-E3-RT the way it is, no need for a bulky AF assist light.

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 06:31:13 AM »

I would greatly prefer an AF-assist light built into a Canon flash commander! I occasionally run into shooting situations where I am no able to AF without the ST-E2 AF-asist light.

Really up to date would be an ST-E4 with radio wireless and a non-bulky, but rather tiny, industry-standard  IR-laser-diode as AF assist illuminator ... similar to the (Non-IR) laser-AF-assist seen already years ago on the Sony F717, F828, V1 to V3 cameras.

And in addition, finally a Canon wireless-radio RT-receiver to also control 580/II and 430/II speedlites via radio wireless. As long as Canon does not offer tjhose - and at a VERY reasonable price [around 50 USD a piece!] - I will NOT buy into the Canon wireless RT-system. 

FunPhotons

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 07:14:11 AM »

I would greatly prefer an AF-assist light built into a Canon flash commander! I occasionally run into shooting situations where I am no able to AF without the ST-E2 AF-asist light.

Then use a 600-RT on your camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 07:14:11 AM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 08:56:05 AM »
I would not expect them to change their minds any time soon.

I would guess that the st-e4 arrives once rt flash master mode is available in the camera bodies, i.e. 5d4 or maybe 7d2 - imho this would have been a real valuable addition to the 6d: They can add 2.4ghz wifi, but not rt?!

If the st-e3 is obsoleted then Canon needs a new reason for customers to buy additional equipment, i.e. the version with af beam and maybe e-ttl3 with remote 2nd curtain sync for the upcoming 660rt flash :-p

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 09:17:58 AM »

Then use a 600-RT on your camera.

If on-camera flash is not needed, why  should one use a 600EX-RT?
* freakin' bulky and top-heavy
* bloody expensive

Just because Canon refuses to build an AF-assist IR-laser-diode into every camera body and into its low-specced-but-high-priced flash commander? No way!

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 09:19:08 AM »
I would not expect them to change their minds any time soon.

I would guess that the st-e4 arrives once rt flash master mode is available in the camera bodies, i.e. 5d4 or maybe 7d2 - imho this would have been a real valuable addition to the 6d: They can add 2.4ghz wifi, but not rt?!

If the st-e3 is obsoleted then Canon needs a new reason for customers to buy additional equipment, i.e. the version with af beam and maybe e-ttl3 with remote 2nd curtain sync for the upcoming 660rt flash :-p

+1 ... that is exactly how I see it. But unfortunately for Canon I will now play that way! :-)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 09:19:08 AM »