Rumors > PowerShot Cameras

The love for AA size batteries

<< < (2/4) > >>

tolusina:
Eneloops are rated at 2500 mah, there are now several choices of 2900 mah AAs, let me google that for you (no sarcasm intended or implied).
https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=1&gs_ri=hp&gs_mss=delkin%20pow&tok=IPuvTLjNF1w1RmSO4GABnA&pq=delkin%20power%202900mah%20aa%20rechargeable%20batteries&cp=0&gs_id=3yc&xhr=t&q=2900mah+aa+rechargeable+batteries&es_nrs=true&pf=p&safe=off&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&oq=+2900mah+aa+rechargeable+batteries&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41642243,d.aWM&fp=98fe3b0bc9dccb16&biw=1280&bih=850

edit/ A little more googling found 3000 to 3600 mah AAs, wow. I wonder if that's marketing hype or reality.

Ew:
+1 on AA for battery grip as backup power.

I used this little adapter to save myself a few times.

Yes it was more cumbersome but worked great. Also helped a great deal when filming all day (casting tests) - 4× batts for 5D2 & 7D - the recharge was not keeping up with the usage by the 2nd half of the day. Swapped to the AA for thw grip on the 7D - and we were able tto finish off th3 day without issues.

Ryan708:
I used AA rechargeable batteries in my old Kodak, and I swore by them, because they are cheap to use. Then I got my T1i and I could take a S___-ton of pictures, and in the cold it still performed, and held a charge forever. I liked this new lithium. My wife has had powershot digital ELPH cameras for a while now, and the LIon batteries last way longer than any AA's every immagined. LIon batteries have more power density than NiMh ever can. Th performance(voltage drop) is very consistant as well, and in cold environments do much better than AA's, and even come back up to voltage when warmed back up. My NiMh batteries do not, so I can not keep things in my vehicle here in New Hampshire for a good part of the year (last week had -11 degrees F). Just my opinion, I love AA's for anything that does not come with a LIon battery, but I prefer LIon

Mt Spokane Photography:
I remember when the first consumer digital cameras were becoming popular around 1997.  They used AA batteries, and you got maybe 30 - 40 images for a alkaline 4 battery set.  You could get twice that with lithium batteries, but they were 10X the cost.
After a year or so, battery life in new models increased by a factor of two, and by 2000, it was no longer a issue.  I much prefer AA batteries for point and shoot cameras, but for DSLR's, I get along ok with li-on.  DSLR's just consume too much power to make AA's practical.  I still have my Nikon CP-990, it uses AA's, which makes it practical to keep, since buying new li-on batteries every few years would be a issue, and eventually, they would no longer be made.

brad-man:

--- Quote from: Mt Spokane Photography on January 29, 2013, 11:44:43 PM ---I remember when the first consumer digital cameras were becoming popular around 1997.  They used AA batteries, and you got maybe 30 - 40 images for a alkaline 4 battery set.  You could get twice that with lithium batteries, but they were 10X the cost.
After a year or so, battery life in new models increased by a factor of two, and by 2000, it was no longer a issue.  I much prefer AA batteries for point and shoot cameras, but for DSLR's, I get along ok with li-on.  DSLR's just consume too much power to make AA's practical.  I still have my Nikon CP-990, it uses AA's, which makes it practical to keep, since buying new li-on batteries every few years would be a issue, and eventually, they would no longer be made.

--- End quote ---

Wipe the cobwebs off that wallet & pick up a digital camera made in this century!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version