August 02, 2014, 03:44:38 AM

Author Topic: I love big gear  (Read 13584 times)

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: I love big gear
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 02:46:43 PM »
I find Canon SLRs too light for my manly build, so I like to tape concrete slabs to them to make them heavier and bulkier.  Oh, and I've glued broken glass to the hand grip too, because if you're not bleeding, you're not a real photographer.

;D
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 02:46:43 PM »

NetDog

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 03:05:07 PM »
All of the above, plus I also wear WD40 for aftershave.

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 03:12:23 PM »
I find Canon SLRs too light for my manly build, so I like to tape concrete slabs to them to make them heavier and bulkier.  Oh, and I've glued broken glass to the hand grip too, because if you're not bleeding, you're not a real photographer.
Best statement in the whole thread.  ;D

RustyTheGeek

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 03:36:02 PM »
Keep it up guys, keep it up!  I'm going back to Philmont in 2014 and I want the encouragement.  Next time, I'm going to take a DSLR + lenses for sure, not just the D20 Tough P&S on my pack.  It's only 10 days on the trail (8500 - 12K mountain trails) with just my backpack and the crew.  This past summer, we hiked close to 90 miles over the ten day trek but since it was my first trek, I didn't want to take all the camera gear and regret it.  Now that I've done it, I'm confident I can manage the extra weight of the camera gear.  Boo-Yah!
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

RustyTheGeek

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 03:42:04 PM »
So you can keep your puny girly man Leica; it's a DSLR for me anyway.

LOL.

I agree.  This is why I don't see the point in a G-series type camera, for me.  The PowerShot S100 fits in the pocket of a tight pair of jeans.  That's my definition of 'small' and 'easy to carry'.  Any bigger than that, it might as well be a 1-series body and a bag of lenses....so usually, it is.

+1111  -  Total Ditto.  I've been saying this for years.  And I also have a S95.  For me it's either super portable (for low key or stealth) or a DSLR.  While the G series is nice, once it's too big to have on your waist (like a phone) or in your pocket, it might as well be a DSLR.  And if you've ever picked up the G1X, well, it's as heavy as a DSLR so....

I drag a couple bodies, multiple lenses, monopod, flashes, batteries, media, misc other necessities etc to summer camps and all other scout activities.  If I do that, it's obvious that I'm not pining after 4/3 systems or G series cameras.  Maybe someday but not today!!

hambergler

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 03:51:13 PM »
I disagree.  DSLR is for the time where taking photos is the primary reason you are out.  In these instances I will be traveling with a few lenses/flash and maybe a tripod.

Something like a Fuji X-E1 or a Leica where you want an awesome camera but want to enjoy yourself and taking photos is not the primary reason you are there.  In these situations i'll carry maybe one extra lens.

RX100 or Fuji X20 for discreet portable.
5D III | 24-70 II| 50 1.4| 70-200 2.8 IS II| 600 EX-RTx2

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 04:01:04 PM »
I'm sorry but this is just too stupid, and I couldn't disagree more. :D Your logic is almost the exact same logic that some people use when they want to buy a big car, just because they are "way manlier" than small cars.

It's plain dumbness, and I do hope you are joking. ;D

Anyway.. It is all about the IQ! The day when someone makes a small P&S-sized full frame body, with awesome IQ, dynamic range, clean high and low ISO, and decent AF, I will be the first photog to drop my big ass gear and go light weight! ..And I am pretty sure that many thousands will follow. At least all who mostly shoot static subjects and landscapes.

Why on earth would I want to go hiking or traveling with a bag full of bricks, if I don't have to?

it's not dumbness, because what you're talking about is completely wishful thinking. what P&S camera do you own that gives you the same "awesome IQ, dynamic range, clean high and low ISO, and decent AF" as a XD-level camera and L-lens?

sure, if you could fit everything that goes into a 5DIII, with the exact same level of performance in all ways (not just IQ, but also AF, ease of handling, etc.) ... then sure, why wouldn't we all save ourselves a few pounds. the reality is, that camera doesn't exist. not even the Sony RX-1 qualifies. there are plenty of instances when I'm on vacation that a 35mm f/2 lens would absolutely not be acceptable for what I am shooting.

I believe the OP was being a little tongue-in-cheek about the manliness thing, his real point was he enjoys the flexibility of having all of his gear available to him to use. as a generalist, I couldn't agree more. one moment I am shooting a landscape with GND filters on a tripod, the next moment I may want to be shooting a bird with a telephoto and extender. to do that, you have to walk softly and carry a big bag.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 04:01:04 PM »

crasher8

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 04:14:58 PM »
While you beat your chest about your 1Dx and your 100-400 push pull, Ansel and I will be pushing and pulling our view cameras and wooden tripods up to Half Dome.

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 04:18:06 PM »
While you beat your chest about your 1Dx and your 100-400 push pull, Ansel and I will be pushing and pulling our view cameras and wooden tripods up to Half Dome.

nice. the more behind-the-scenes stuff I read, the more impressed I am by the number of people out there still shooting large format. seriously, the past two months I keep coming across photos that I'm like, that's a great photo, I wonder what it was shot with, and then the answer is some kind of large format.

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 04:50:23 PM »
I... Like... Big... Gear and I cannot lie!
What is truth?

Harry Muff

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 04:58:48 PM »
I've been thinking about getting a proper rucksack camera bag for a while now. I've had a Billingham 335 for about 17 years now but I don't use it as it is too conspicuous to carry around.

For this reason, I've been using an old sports rucksack with a sweater in it for padding. It's not ideal, but at least it doesn't advertise its contents.

The Lowepro bags seem the least like they advertise what's in the bag, but is there anything that really doesn't look like a camera bag at all out there?
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

RustyTheGeek

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 06:41:45 PM »
I've been thinking about getting a proper rucksack camera bag for a while now. I've had a Billingham 335 for about 17 years now but I don't use it as it is too conspicuous to carry around.

For this reason, I've been using an old sports rucksack with a sweater in it for padding. It's not ideal, but at least it doesn't advertise its contents.

The Lowepro bags seem the least like they advertise what's in the bag, but is there anything that really doesn't look like a camera bag at all out there?

Totally agree.  Packing thousands of dollars worth of heavy camera gear in a dedicated photo backpack only seems to accomplish two things...

-  Advertise a lot of expensive camera gear is here
-  Guarantee that you'll be doing nothing other than shooting pictures since there is no room for anything else

I typically use normal daypacks or backpacks and put the camera gear in individual protection, whatever that might be.  Lens cases, fleece jackets, clothes for the hike, whatever.  I need a backpack that is a backpack, not a lens case with straps.  I'm almost always doing more on the trip than just taking pictures and I hate advertising that I'm carrying even more equipment as expensive as the camera I have in my hand.

RMC33

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 07:54:34 PM »
I honestly have started to love gripped bodies (big I guess). Balances out a heavy lens very well and makes it much easier to shoot handheld or even on a monopod. The weight of having to ski, trek or whatnot with it sucks but worth it in the end when you get the shot.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 07:54:34 PM »

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2013, 11:40:25 PM »

;D
What FunPhotons said makes sense.
In India many women labourors carry concrete slabs to earn their daily bread and Eunuchs walk on broken glass, bleeding through their feet, to pay respect to their diety ... so I do not believe taping concrete slabs and gluing broken glass can be listed under "real photographer" category ;D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 11:50:10 PM by Rienzphotoz »
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

cervantes

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2013, 01:40:58 AM »
As a counterpoint to the posts on here complaining about the size of a DSLR, I'm here to say I like it that way! I spend the weekend with a...

So where are the pics?  ::)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2013, 01:40:58 AM »