September 23, 2014, 06:51:20 AM

Author Topic: Canon Mirrorless Related Patent?  (Read 8580 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon Mirrorless Related Patent?
« on: July 14, 2011, 08:51:25 AM »

Past: Diffused light is not needed.

Patent: Aperture flare cutter used.

• Patent Publication No. 2011-107255

• 2011.6.2 Published

• 2009.11.13 filing date

• Conventional mount converter

• Adjust the flange back only

• Not consider the difference of the image circle, causing unwanted ghost light

• Canon patent

• Aperture converter having an adjusting means

• Aperture and manual operation of locks available

• And electric drive aperture, the lens can be controlled by information

• With a means of communication

This looks to be a patent related to some kind of mirrorless camera system based on the interpretation from [EG] . We’ve seen the mount adaptor before, this seems to be related to it.

thanks Evgenii

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon Mirrorless Related Patent?
« on: July 14, 2011, 08:51:25 AM »

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Mirrorless Related Patent?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 09:00:38 AM »
So this is an adapter that lets you mount your EF lens on your new canon EVIL Camera. Fair enough.
You put an aperture in the adapter, and it cuts down flare etc, fair enough.

The bit that made me think, does/can this replace the aperture in the lens? I was thinking it might on first glance, but then i read again and it says 'the lens can be controlled by information, with a means of communication'.

phew, so at least there's a hope that when you mount your EF on your EVIL, you can use autofocus, IS, distance information, etc.

meanwhile, if they can do this, can they make a 'smart' extension tube along the same lines? not that i have major flare using tubes, but i'm sure they'd sell a few to people who must have the best...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

Gothmoth

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 09:31:58 AM »
it´s an adapter.... but i don´t read a single word about mirrorless or EVIL.

could be for evil.... could be for any camera that uses lenses with a bigger image circle then the sensor. even video cameras.

i mean, canon has a lot patents that seem to make no sense for their productline.
only a fraction of patents make it into a product.

i would not search for "mirrorless hints" around each and any corner. :)

« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 09:44:14 AM by Gothmoth »

dr croubie

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 09:43:05 AM »
it´s an adapter.... but i don´t read a single word about mirrorless or EVIL.

could be for evil.... could be for any camera that uses lenses with a bigger image circle then the sensor.

ooh, so it could be a wonderfully less-ghosting extension tube...

but then it says:
conventional - ie, no glass, it's not a teleconverter.
mount adapter - so the mounts at either end are different, it's not a normal extension tube.

And once you put a mount adapter between lens and camera, there's no room for mirror in there as well, so it must be mirrorless...
Gear Photos

Gothmoth

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 09:46:47 AM »
it's not a normal extension tube.

well nobody said it is....

And once you put a mount adapter between lens and camera, there's no room for mirror in there as well, so it must be mirrorless...

what are you talking... ever used an medium format lens on a canon DSLR?

well the mirror does not suddenly vanish from my 1D when i use my hasselblad adapter i can tell you that.... it´s still there. even with the mount adapter.  :)

the image from the patent shows the camera body as black box.
could be mirrorless or with an mirror.
that there i no mirror in the patent picture does not mean there is none in the camera body.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 09:54:35 AM by Gothmoth »

dr croubie

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 09:56:51 AM »
what are you talking... ever used an medium format lens on a canon DSLR?

well the mirror does not suddenly vanish when i use my hasselblad adapter i can tell you that.... it´s still there. even with the mount adapter.  :)

read my signature? do it all the time :P (but i can only afford Soviet Pentacon Six ripoffs)

but:
a) 44mm is the flange distance of the EF mount. it's the longest flange mount lens they make.
b) they wouldn't make an adapter for any other-brand medium format lenses for canon bodies*
c) so what i meant is that using a canon brand lens, on a canon brand camera, means that the new camera must have a flange distance shorter than 44mm, hence no space for a mirror (unless it's a ~40ish mm EFSv2 with a smaller clearance around the mirror?)

*now that's more exciting. Canon making medium format lenses and a medium format body, and providing an adapter to use their MF lenses on EOS bodies.
I like that much more.
A lot more.
Screw mirrorless, i want this to be an MF related patent...
Gear Photos

Gothmoth

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 10:07:34 AM »
as a said canon has all kind of patents they did not use in actual products (yet).
canon is one of the biggest patent fillers in the world.

that there is a canon patent does not mean it will be a canon product.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 10:07:34 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 10:28:18 AM »
There are FD to micro 4/3 adapters with a built-in manually adjustable adapter.  This looks to me like something similar but with a camera controlled aperture.  It does seem likely that it would be used to adapt a EF or EF-s lens to a new Canon body that used different lenses.  Thats about the only likely use for it.  Canon is not likely going to sell FD to EOS adapters for a new short back focus body.

I see this as another hint that a new body / lens system is in the works, and Canon wants the high priced lens converter market to themselves.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 10:34:31 AM »
I see this as another hint that a new body / lens system is in the works

Could be...but perhaps for adapting cine lenses to pro camcorders?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

macgregor mathers

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 10:35:15 AM »
My understanding of the pictures and text is that while regular adapters only adjust the flange distance (accurate enough for the purpose of the patent), the patented adapter has an aperture inside of it to absorbing light in order to prevent ghosting (which the first illustration indicates are due to internal reflections).

In order for the aperture to be set automatically, the adapter has an "electric drive" the aperture "can be controlled by information" available via  "a means of communication".

So, I think this patent wasn't designed specifically for mirrorless cameras.

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 12:08:19 PM »
I see this as another hint that a new body / lens system is in the works

Could be...but perhaps for adapting cine lenses to pro camcorders?

I guess that I was thinking of the previous adapter patent which was definitely for a new small body camera.  I need to look this one up and read it.

victorengel

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 12:35:00 PM »
I guess I must be missing something. I can't see anything that has to do with mirrorless. It looks like it's simply an adapter that baffles incoming light to reduce the image circle. Reflections are thus moved from inside the camera to the lens.

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 12:35:21 PM »
Here is a link to the patent.   http://www4.ipdl.inpit.go.jp/Tokujitu/tjsogodbenk.ipdl

After reading the translated version, I came away with a different understanding of the invention.

The adapter has a adjustable aperture to limit a larger circle of coverage from a lens to one that matches the camera body.  Their drawing shows a conventional rectangular camera body, but the patent is very broad. It could be construed to adapt a large format lens to a smaller sensor body, or a EF sized lens to a tiny sensor body, or even to a Iphone  ;)

So, pretty much any application to adapt a lens with a larger circle of coverage to one that is smaller could use the device.  You can adjust it manually, or, it contains a database of adjustments for many lenses and their optimal setting for the image circle.

It still appears to me that it has EF lenses in mind for use on a small sensor interchangable lens body, but it could be used for cancorders as well.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 12:35:21 PM »

ronderick

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 11:10:52 PM »
I'd second others in that the device seems to be adapting EF lens to camcorders.

Given Canon's expertise in both camera and camcorders, I'd imagine that this patent is one of the ways they can maximize the use of their lens assets.

Of course, if Canon does come up with a EVIL system, I wonder how many people will want to use this adapter/tube? A small EVIL body and a heavy EF lens attached will likely result in an awkward combination.
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

dr croubie

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 11:35:59 PM »
Of course, if Canon does come up with a EVIL system, I wonder how many people will want to use this adapter/tube? A small EVIL body and a heavy EF lens attached will likely result in an awkward combination.

but how many people with a lot already invested in EF glass might buy one just for a small carry-around with a niftyfifty or 35/2 attached?
or as a low-cost lightweight spare? if your 1D4 breaks, card fills up, battery runs flat, whatever, after you've hiked 3km through a swamp, at least you can whip out your EVIL and stick it on your 800mm and still catch that bird (if you don't take 2 eos bodies with you, of course).

the only reason i could think of, against the 'EF on Camcorder' idea, is that it might detract sales away from DSLRs, 1080p was a big selling point of the 5D2 on release.
If they come out with a 4k video camcorder with a mount shorter than 44mm, the adapter could be to use EF lenses on that.

- attaching pro cine lenses on an EF body (there's just room for an aperture in the 8mm to an Arri PL),
- a new canon Medium Format mount lens to an EF body,
- (a new canon pro cine lens with 50mm+ flange distance to EF bodies?),
- an EF lens to a new EVIL,
- an EF lens to camcorder body.
they're all options, and all possible products that could be covered by this patent. or none of them could ever see the light of day. if one of them ever happens, my money's on the EF-lens to EVIL body (but my hopes are on the canon MF - EF Body :) ).
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 11:35:59 PM »