August 02, 2014, 04:37:20 AM

Author Topic: Step-up Ring, Filter...  (Read 5629 times)

shashinkaman

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Step-up Ring, Filter...
« on: January 23, 2013, 02:27:16 AM »
Could any of you share their experience/ thoughts on the following: if I would use a 77mm polarisation filter screwed (pardon my French) in a 67-77mm step-up ring, on the front end of my lens (which has, as you all probably  have concluded, a 67mm filter size) would I be able to use this combination without any negative effects or is there any reason (practical/ optical) for this not to be useful? I guess I am probably not the first 'smarty pants' who came up with this idea, so if (especially being new to this forum) I should have missed this topic being raised and solved before, I duly apologize, but would really appreciate your kind input! Thanks to all!
(PS: English is not my native language, for please forgive any weird usage of the before mentioned; - )
Don't be such a Pixel Peeper!

canon rumors FORUM

Step-up Ring, Filter...
« on: January 23, 2013, 02:27:16 AM »

knkedlaya

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/knkedlaya
Re: Step-up Ring, Filter...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 04:25:21 AM »
Never used polarized filter in that fashion, but used a 77mm ND filter with a 58-77 step-up ring on my kit lens. Didnt see any issues.
Tried Polarized filter on kit and on top of that 58-77 step-up ring and then the ND filter(Wanted to cut off lot of light to get blurry effect of sea waves). Saw vignetting and reduced sharpness.

Hope this helps
Thanks
Naveena
8FPS, Macro F2.8 L, couple of more lenses, small flash MKI and a customised flash bracket.

AG

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 05:22:48 AM »
Just tested it on a kit 55-250 lens and it seemed to work ok.

The only real issue i can see is if the height of your filters enter the field of view of the lens.

Having a 67mm lens and a larger 77mm filter this shouldn't be an issue unlike if you had a 72mm lens and a 77mm filter. EDIT: Should mention i was meaning on wide lenses here (eg 11mm - 24mm)

Then you may start to see it and get vignetting at between f1.5 - f5.6 (for example) basically until the iris closes enough to take it out of the field of view.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 05:53:27 AM by AG »
Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

keithinmelbourne

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • keithbroadphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 05:43:38 AM »
I use a 72-77 step-up ring for my ND filters. No issues.
"Everyday is a good day" - Yunmen

1Ds3, 17-40L, 17 TSE, 24LII, 24 TSE, 24-105L, 35L, 50L, 85 1.8, 85LII, 100 2.8, 135L, 70-200 f4L, OMD EM-5, 12 f2, 25 f1.4, 45 f1.8

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 05:52:11 AM »
Larger Filters on Smaller lenses with a Step Up ring, you're never going to have a problem, except if you want to use a hood. Sometimes you can get the hood on and *then* mount the filter, sometimes you can't even do that. But if you don't want a hood, there's no problem at all. (I'd recommend getting another lenscap, $2 on ebay, the size of your filter, so that you don't have to unscrew everything to put the original lenscap on).

Putting Smaller filters on Larger lenses with a Step Down ring is also possible, but not recommended, because you get worse vignetting. Only if you're putting an EF lens on an EF-S body, then maybe it's ok, but it's up for experimentation.
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

87vr6

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 06:23:37 AM »
Larger Filters on Smaller lenses with a Step Up ring, you're never going to have a problem, except if you want to use a hood. Sometimes you can get the hood on and *then* mount the filter, sometimes you can't even do that. But if you don't want a hood, there's no problem at all. (I'd recommend getting another lenscap, $2 on ebay, the size of your filter, so that you don't have to unscrew everything to put the original lenscap on).

Hell, a filter with a step up ring is kinda a hood!!  :P

Spooky

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 07:45:24 AM »
Pick the largest lens diameter you have and buy filters for that size. Use step up rings for the smaller lens'. The only disadvantage is the cost of the larger filter & hood issues. I use a 82mm polariser on my 77mm lens's without issue apart from slight vignetting on my 17-40 set wide.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 07:45:24 AM »

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 03:38:35 PM »
Pick the largest lens diameter you have and buy filters for that size.

Yes, but within reason, sometimes it's better to have a few intermediate sizes. If I use my largest filter on my smallest lens, it just looks kinda stupid...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 03:44:10 PM »
@dr croubie - how does the little STM motor like that stack?   ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

ahab1372

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 03:49:42 PM »
Croubie, you created a masterpiece of industrial design. The new 40mm funnel lens. Make sure you add it to your gear pics

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 03:49:42 PM »