September 01, 2014, 10:21:55 AM

Author Topic: Any chance for a 18-250 or 18-300 lens from Canon in the foreseeable future?  (Read 8527 times)

rfe777

Hello everyone

I have a Canon 550D, and currently use a Sigma 18-250 lens as my "workhorse" lens, but would have wanted a lens with such focal length from Canon(18-200 is not enough), and not from a third party manufacturer.

Are there any rumors about such a lens coming soon from Canon?Anybody knows?

TIA 

canon rumors FORUM

bseitz234

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • BrianSeitzPhoto
doubtful, I can't really think of why they would. if you're not looking to spend money that'll get you a 28-300, you're probably talking 15-85 + 70-300 to cover that range.
7D x2
70-200 f/2.8L - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 - 85 f/1.8 - 50 f/1.4 - 28 f/1.8
580ex II - 2x 430ex II

robbymack

• 7D
    • View Profile
28-300L

There are a few folks on the forum that use that lens and like it I'm sure someone will chime in.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
As a rule of thumb, the wider the zoom range the worse the image quality. The 18-200 has the worst MTF curves of any lens Canon makes and extending the range will probably make it worse. It might come out, but I would not buy one. A pair of cheap lenses like the 18-55 and 70-300 would probably outperform an even wider rage superzoom
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 08:14:04 AM by Don Haines »
The best camera is the one in your hands

rfe777

doubtful, I can't really think of why they would.
Nikon has a 18-300 lens, and I'm sure that Canon users will want one(or 18-250) as well, and also from Canon for the competition between the two companies. 

Ryan708

• EOS M2
  • Less bickering, more shooting
    • View Profile
I agree with the other posters here. There is a reason the best zoom lenses have a limited range. If you want an 18-300 you can't be expecting great quality images, so why do you want a more expensive canon version. Sigma's build quality is on par with canon EF-S lenses(probably better honestly) but their AF is sometimes off on certain copies of a lens.  Just my $.02 the 15-85 is quite a nice EF-S lens, and adding a 70-300 would give you that extra reach for when you want it.
60D, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4, Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 VC, EF 50mm 1.8II, and a Sigma EF-610 DG superflash

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
as others have said the only decent super zoom for canon is the 28-300L and its massive, heavy and expensive
but its a great lens probably the best super zoom there is.

to be honest Nikon make the best super zoom around with the 18-200 VRII even the older VR model was great
They have brought out a 18-300 but i'm not sure how it performs

if you want the best here you are probably better off selling the canon and sigma lens and getting a new Nikon D5200 and the 18-200 VRII maybe check out the 18-300 see how you like it but as i said i have no first hand experience of the 18-300
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

rfe777

As a rule of thumb, the wider the zoom range the worsae the image quality. The 18-200 has the worst MTF curves of any lens Canon makes and extending the range will probably make it worse. It might come out, but I would not buy one. A pair of cheap lenses like the 18-55 and 70-300 would probably outperform an even wider rage superzoom
The whole idea of a "workhorse" lens is one that covers a very large focal length, both wide and tele, without me having to change lenses.
For my day-to-day photography, I need a focal length from 18mm to >200mm. 

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
As a rule of thumb, the wider the zoom range the worsae the image quality. The 18-200 has the worst MTF curves of any lens Canon makes and extending the range will probably make it worse. It might come out, but I would not buy one. A pair of cheap lenses like the 18-55 and 70-300 would probably outperform an even wider rage superzoom
The whole idea of a "workhorse" lens is one that covers a very large focal length, both wide and tele, without me having to change lenses.

while that's certainly a valid way to interpret "workhorse lens", I think a lot of people would say that what makes a lens a workhorse is its ability to consistently give you results that you would be satisfied with delivering as product, or the result of your "work". trying to mush a whole bunch of functions into a single lens usually means the opposite, in which you can shoot anything, but not at a satisfactory level.

I'm not saying you're using your lens wrong. certainly, if I were just traveling on vacation and I prioritized being able to get any shot I wanted without having to carry much weight, an 18-250mm might be just the right thing. however, given the fact that you seem rather adamant about needing to go beyond 200mm, yet also being rather adamant that superzoom image quality is exactly what you want, is a little puzzling.

don't be too scared to switch lenses, even if you're in the field. exposing your camera's innards momentarily isn't quite the danger zone some folks make it out to be (unless, yes, you are in a sawdust-filled wood shop, or a decomposing abandoned building, or similar). and frankly, for you to buy yet another superzoom (if Canon were to release one), you might as well spend that same money on a consumer telephoto that will give you fast apertures at the same focal length, and better image quality.

weekendshooter

doubtful, I can't really think of why they would.
Nikon has a 18-300 lens, and I'm sure that Canon users will want one(or 18-250) as well, and also from Canon for the competition between the two companies.

The 18-300 doesn't seem to be that great optically. Nikon's 18-200, on the other hand, is quite fantastic considering its zoom range. It's also very well-built and quite compact; it's often purchased as a kit with the D7000 and produces quite solid images.

A new 18-200 would be a good thing for Canon to release, now that Nikon has shown that you don't need to make too big of a sacrifice in image quality to get that zoom range in a single lens. Nobody's 18-300 is very good, and Nikon's is absolutely enormous and very expensive, so that's probably not something Canon wants to emulate.

bseitz234

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • BrianSeitzPhoto

while that's certainly a valid way to interpret "workhorse lens", I think a lot of people would say that what makes a lens a workhorse is its ability to consistently give you results that you would be satisfied with delivering as product, or the result of your "work". trying to mush a whole bunch of functions into a single lens usually means the opposite, in which you can shoot anything, but not at a satisfactory level.

I'm not saying you're using your lens wrong. certainly, if I were just traveling on vacation and I prioritized being able to get any shot I wanted without having to carry much weight, an 18-250mm might be just the right thing. however, given the fact that you seem rather adamant about needing to go beyond 200mm, yet also being rather adamant that superzoom image quality is exactly what you want, is a little puzzling.

don't be too scared to switch lenses, even if you're in the field. exposing your camera's innards momentarily isn't quite the danger zone some folks make it out to be (unless, yes, you are in a sawdust-filled wood shop, or a decomposing abandoned building, or similar). and frankly, for you to buy yet another superzoom (if Canon were to release one), you might as well spend that same money on a consumer telephoto that will give you fast apertures at the same focal length, and better image quality.

I agree with this. My workhorse right now is my 70-200 2.8 (non-is/classic), which I leave on my camera at all times because I know I can get a great result from it time and time again, including when I take it xc skiing and fall and get it all snowy  ::) When it's too long, I will have a 17-55 starting tomorrow, which I fully intend to complement, not replace, the 70-200. And given that I can usually predict the situations in which 70-200 will be too long, I'm not very concerned about the 30 seconds it will take to switch lenses... anyway, just my second two cents.
7D x2
70-200 f/2.8L - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 - 85 f/1.8 - 50 f/1.4 - 28 f/1.8
580ex II - 2x 430ex II

skitron

• 6D
    • View Profile
The 18-300 doesn't seem to be that great optically. Nikon's 18-200, on the other hand, is quite fantastic considering its zoom range.

Here's a comparison of the two:http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=295&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=7&API=1&LensComp=667&CameraComp=614&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=6&APIComp=1

I think the Canon looks slightly better based on this.
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4 DG, Canon TC 1.4x III

weekendshooter

The 18-300 doesn't seem to be that great optically. Nikon's 18-200, on the other hand, is quite fantastic considering its zoom range.

Here's a comparison of the two:http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=295&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=7&API=1&LensComp=667&CameraComp=614&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=6&APIComp=1

I think the Canon looks slightly better based on this.

Scratch that, the photozone charts look pretty close for both! I was under the impression the Nikon was better at the long end than this, my mistake.

On another note, I think something is wrong with TDP's Nikon setup - many of his tests show very strong CA and other optical defects that aren't corroborated by other review/sample sites. I've found that it's useless to use his site's Nikon samples as a reference when shopping for lenses.

Look at this: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=791&Camera=614&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=106&CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

The Canon 85/1.8 is well-known for having purple fringing in high-contrast areas, while the Nikon 85/1.8G was just named best 85mm ever tested by DXO, in no small part to its great CA control. I certainly have never seen CA like that from my 85! Many of his Nikon samples are like this for some reason.

canon rumors FORUM

nightsky87

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Disregarding the point about image quality, what exactly are you looking for in a "workhorse" lens?

Remember that your focal length can affect the perspective if you move closer or farther from the subject. Your 18mm would be horrible for portraits but acceptable for landscapes. Likewise, the 85-135mm range is usually chosen for flattering portraits. Higher would be good for birding and sports.

The point is, its best to identify specific ranges for what you're shooting. Glass can be designed for specific purposes (i.e. some are designed for the best bokeh) and using a single superzoom won't satisfy all purposes.

No harm switching lenses often (except for the minor inconvenience). I remember taking the 60D while rowing and I was constantly switching between the Canon 15-85 for landscapes and Tamron 70-300 for animal shots. Worked great and the camera works flawlessly to this day.

dickgrafixstop

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Go look at a Lumix 200fz - it has a fantastic zoom range (25-600), is cheaper than the lens you
would want (~$400), and is a single piece sealed unit for dust, etc.  And if you want a little "status",
you can double the price and get the same camera branded Leica.

canon rumors FORUM