September 22, 2014, 10:44:59 AM

Author Topic: Where are you EOS 70D?  (Read 26676 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Where are you EOS 70D?
« on: January 23, 2013, 09:38:27 PM »
The next EOS body
CP+ in Japan is coming up on January 31, 2013 and we haven’t heard a thing about Canon making a product announcement for the show.

That being said, there are lots of reports of 60D stocks being low. We’ve been told previously that a 70D will appear before a 7D replacement. It’s said to be an incremental upgrade from the 60D. Although, we’ve heard that wifi and gps will be added to the xxD line with the 70D.

The image sensor may remain at 18mp as Canon separates the 7D Mark II with a new, higher performing APS-C sensor. This makes a lot of sense as I think the APS-C segment needs a jolt and not more of the same.

cr

« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:40:16 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Where are you EOS 70D?
« on: January 23, 2013, 09:38:27 PM »

TheBadger

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Where are you EOS 70D?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 09:52:00 PM »
No! Stop! Canon no! For the love of every thing that is precious in this world, do not release another camera with that same sensor! I have been waiting for eons for a new APS-C sensor in a semi-professional body! Will I have to wait another two more years? I don't have the budget to buy a 7D mkII and I have been saving for this precious little thing the 70D. Please don't screw it up.

"Qui audet adipiscitur"

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 09:59:59 PM »
I think they're trying to get some sort of record for wringing the most profit from a sensor, over the longest lifespan

jebrady03

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 10:00:42 PM »
Where are you EOS 70D?

If it's an incremental upgrade with the same sensor and only GPS/wifi to differentiate it, I don't care where it is - it's not EVER going to be on my radar.  I'll stick with my 60D - thanks!  In fact, it would take a pretty dramatic upgrade for me to move along - or, a FF version of the 60D.  I don't care what anyone says, the swivel screen is AWESOME and is perfect for LOTS of shooting scenarios.  FF (and all the benefits that come with it like improved ISO, etc.) + Fast live view focusing, a larger viewfinder, MFA and nothing else has to change for me - I'd upgrade immediately.  More focus points would be nice, but I could live without them.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 10:02:45 PM by jebrady03 »

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 10:04:20 PM »
The image sensor may remain at 18mp as Canon separates the 7D Mark II with a new, higher performing APS-C sensor.

Queue reviews of it where people say "Just the 60D, warmed up with WiFi. Nothing important here, move along."

What's the point of releasing a 70D if it is just going to have the same sensor?

This makes a lot of sense as I think the APS-C segment needs a jolt and not more of the same.

Huh?

APS-C segment needs a jolt yet happy with the 70D being more of the same?
Is anyone thinking about what they write on the front page of CR?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 10:07:20 PM by dilbert »

x-vision

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 10:12:21 PM »
... as Canon separates the 7D Mark II with a new, higher performing APS-C sensor. This makes a lot of sense as I think the APS-C segment needs a jolt and not more of the same.

+1000

Canon, are you listening?

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 10:14:11 PM »
Think Rebel T4i with a shoulder display and two dials and better build quality...... sort of like the difference between the 60D and the T3i.

I would probably stick to the 60D.... not sure if Wireless is quite ready yet and besides, I tend to upgrade every second or third model, not each time a new one comes out.
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 10:14:11 PM »

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 11:25:44 PM »
No! Stop! Canon no! For the love of every thing that is precious in this world, do not release another camera with that same sensor! I have been waiting for eons for a new APS-C sensor in a semi-professional body! Will I have to wait another two more years? I don't have the budget to buy a 7D mkII and I have been saving for this precious little thing the 70D. Please don't screw it up.
+1
if the only thing a 70D gets is 60D tech + GPS and WiFi it's OK as an upgrade for some but not those already with a 60D.  Still the 60D's sensor COULD use a little improvement in noise performance at low ISO and, if they make the 70D low ISO noise performance as good as the new 6D's, it's an incremental upgrade in file quality.
I think they're trying to get some sort of record for wringing the most profit from a sensor, over the longest lifespan
That's business.

Famateur

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 11:55:33 PM »

Amen!!!

If all they do is update the sensor to the same as the T4i and add WiFi, GPS and touch screen, I might as well just buy the 60D for <$600 and use the rest for glass. I just can't bring myself to buy a 3-year-old camera just because the price is falling.

I don't really care about megapixels. Eighteen is plenty for me -- it's the high-ISO noise where I'd like to see the most improvement in sensor tech. That's probably the only thing really stopping me from snapping-up the 60D at current prices (well that and no AFMA).

Oh well. I guess I'd rather endure a dearth of rumors of the 70D and still hope for an impressive new sensor than read a bunch of CR2 and 3 pointing toward a repackaging of the old camera with the new whistles and bells...

Okay...time to breathe a little and go take some photos with my G12. It still takes damn good pictures for a point-and-shoot... :D

20Dave

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 12:06:49 AM »

This makes a lot of sense as I think the APS-C segment needs a jolt and not more of the same.

Huh?

I believe they are talking about the 7DII as the jolt in the APS-C market, not the 70D.

intence01

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 12:13:41 AM »
Are you kidding me, another camera with the 18MP sensor?!?  7D, T2i, T3i, T4i, 60D, and now possibly 70D?!?  This doesn't bode well for the consumer.

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 12:20:24 AM »

Huh?

I believe they are talking about the 7DII as the jolt in the APS-C market, not the 70D.

And that is the problem!

that1guyy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 12:26:21 AM »
I've been waiting for a 70D for a long time. But if it releases with no improvements in dynamic range, noise performance, and no improvements on the video front, I ain't buying. I'd rather wait a few months and see a quality upgrade then the same old crap that we have for the past three years.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 12:26:21 AM »

that1guyy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 12:27:58 AM »
The image sensor may remain at 18mp as Canon separates the 7D Mark II with a new, higher performing APS-C sensor.

Queue reviews of it where people say "Just the 60D, warmed up with WiFi. Nothing important here, move along."

What's the point of releasing a 70D if it is just going to have the same sensor?

Huh?

Agreed. The Canon Rumors team literally has no info but post this useless garbage just to get views.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 12:37:33 AM by that1guyy »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 12:44:03 AM »
I have a CR2 on the 70D

It will be epically undewhelming
a cobbled together franken-camera
using the current 18MP APS-C sensor
they will manage to make the AF worse than the 60D (dont believe me? well they cant make it better than the 6D's 1 cross point now can they!)

it will be ushered in on a river of tears from canon users
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 12:44:03 AM »