Gear Talk > EOS Bodies - For Video

How to start the video recording remote on 5D M3?

<< < (3/3)

cayenne:

--- Quote from: Drizzt321 on January 30, 2013, 05:20:29 PM ---

Don't forget to do manual white balance, and you also can use some gels to get all the lighting to be more or less close to the same color temp, which will make it a lot easier to get good looking footage. Don't forget you can use just about anything to flag (block) to get the lighting right where you want it, or use some poster board to reflect light to fill in the side or bottom or your face, or somewhere else. There's a ton you can do with lighting. And use gaffer's tape, a lot easier to work with than duct tape for anything you may not need to permanently tape together.

--- End quote ---

I have tried to look for some kind of meter to read color temperature of a room, but man, those things are $$$$$$$$!!

How does one manually 'read' the color temperature of the room? I'm trying to figure the best way to get my kitchen all ONE color temp. It is lit with U10 type halogen lights on track lighting (I'm renting so can't change too many things drastically).

The clamp lights, I bought all CFLs for them...they are all 5000K, and I think the halogens are all about 2700K. I can't find replacements for the halogens any higher than 3000K.

So, not sure what to do, I kinda wanted to shoot things in the sunlight range, but not sure how to compromise this. I'm limited on plugs and outlets, so can't light the whole thing with clamp lights, not to mention, it is a b!tch as it is, trying to keep plugs and cords and lights OUT of frame when shooting.

:o

C   

Drizzt321:

--- Quote from: cayenne on January 31, 2013, 02:44:38 PM ---
--- Quote from: Drizzt321 on January 30, 2013, 05:20:29 PM ---

Don't forget to do manual white balance, and you also can use some gels to get all the lighting to be more or less close to the same color temp, which will make it a lot easier to get good looking footage. Don't forget you can use just about anything to flag (block) to get the lighting right where you want it, or use some poster board to reflect light to fill in the side or bottom or your face, or somewhere else. There's a ton you can do with lighting. And use gaffer's tape, a lot easier to work with than duct tape for anything you may not need to permanently tape together.

--- End quote ---

I have tried to look for some kind of meter to read color temperature of a room, but man, those things are $$$$$$$$!!

How does one manually 'read' the color temperature of the room? I'm trying to figure the best way to get my kitchen all ONE color temp. It is lit with U10 type halogen lights on track lighting (I'm renting so can't change too many things drastically).

The clamp lights, I bought all CFLs for them...they are all 5000K, and I think the halogens are all about 2700K. I can't find replacements for the halogens any higher than 3000K.

So, not sure what to do, I kinda wanted to shoot things in the sunlight range, but not sure how to compromise this. I'm limited on plugs and outlets, so can't light the whole thing with clamp lights, not to mention, it is a b!tch as it is, trying to keep plugs and cords and lights OUT of frame when shooting.

:o

C

--- End quote ---

Take a fairly neutral white object, regular printer paper is OK, not great, but OK, and put it in the lighting, and zoom in to make it take up the vast, vast majority of the frame, especially the center, and take a photo of it. Go into the camera menus and set the custom white balance, and use that photo as the image to take the white balance from. Then you change your camera White Balance mode to use Custom. That's it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5HaRTmbozc is probably a decent enough introduction to it, although I haven't watched it all the way through.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version