Gear Talk > EOS Bodies - For Video

How to start the video recording remote on 5D M3?

<< < (2/3) > >>

schmidtfilme:

--- Quote from: bluegreenturtle on January 24, 2013, 03:31:25 PM ---You understand that the camera doesn't have autofocus while recording, right? 

A simple way to remotely start/stop is to reassign the shutter release to start stop video (you can do this in the menu) then use a timelapse remote or other shutter trigger to start stop.

--- End quote ---

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for all the feedback. Yes I understand that the camera doesn't focus while filming. So basically I want to record myself "sharp" with no one else to support me. I will look into the RC6 and how I can make it working for me.

Cheers
- Andreas

cayenne:

--- Quote from: schmidtfilme on January 26, 2013, 01:38:33 PM ---
--- Quote from: bluegreenturtle on January 24, 2013, 03:31:25 PM ---You understand that the camera doesn't have autofocus while recording, right? 

A simple way to remotely start/stop is to reassign the shutter release to start stop video (you can do this in the menu) then use a timelapse remote or other shutter trigger to start stop.

--- End quote ---

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for all the feedback. Yes I understand that the camera doesn't focus while filming. So basically I want to record myself "sharp" with no one else to support me. I will look into the RC6 and how I can make it working for me.

Cheers
- Andreas

--- End quote ---

I am a one man band, filiming a cooking show I like to do.

What I did, was go to Lowe's (home depot would likely have the same stuff) and I bought what is some sort of very flat almost vice like thing...and in that, I clamp down a long, yellow metal ruler that is about 6 ft high or so that I found there.

I've marked on this ruler where my head and nose are..and I place that where I'm gonna shoot myself standing.

I go to that spot, and us an Instadisk (I think that's the name) to get my white balance set with custom white balance (after I set up my clamp lights lighting system to that spot)...I get the camera on the tripod, compose and focus on the large standing ruler.

I then hit record (making sure my attached rode videomic is on)...and the walk over to the ruler in the large heavly clamp. stand in its place, move the ruler out of the shot...and begin my action, talking ,etc.

I usually leave it rolling on things where I'm just talking...do multiple takes while rolling...when I get something I think I'll use, I walk over and manually hit the stop button. I'll often review with playback of that clip in camera to make sure I got composition and lighting right...maybe do another take if needed.

I do this every time. I have a remote controller I do for stills, but for video, I just hit the button manually..I mean, it isn't like I'm taking shots long range or anything...

Anyway, that's how I do it....no need for a remote, but getting some sort of "stand in" that is about as tall as you to focus and help compose the shots with if you are a one man band...is very helpful.

HTH,

cayenne

Drizzt321:
Some decent lighting will let you stop down which will increase the DoF which will make it easier to get the subject in focus. And you can always put a mark on the floor or something, and start recording, go stand in place, wait for a second or two, then begin which will let you edit out the start & end.

cayenne:

--- Quote from: Drizzt321 on January 29, 2013, 05:36:13 PM ---Some decent lighting will let you stop down which will increase the DoF which will make it easier to get the subject in focus. And you can always put a mark on the floor or something, and start recording, go stand in place, wait for a second or two, then begin which will let you edit out the start & end.

--- End quote ---

Yep...right now, I'm working on learning more about lighting. I have some stands and I've bought different sized clamp lights from the hardware store, and a few diffusers and clamps.

I'm trying to do somewhat of a 3 point lighting...but am limited to the layout of my kitchen..and the mixed lights there (halogen track lighting) and my clamp lights are CFLs...all in the daylight (5500 I think?) range.

Like I mentioned, I got something heavy to clamp a large, tall ruler onto....which I used instead of marking the floors...with this I can know where my head,  nose and chin are...and compose the scene knowing better where I'll stand..and focus on that ruler...

Do something like this...no big deal hitting start manually...walking into the scene..doing your bit...walking to hit stop.

That's what editing is for....and since I don't have a clap board, I often use that beginning to talk to describe anything about the scene I want to remind myself about during editing....

Drizzt321:

--- Quote from: cayenne on January 30, 2013, 04:26:07 PM ---
--- Quote from: Drizzt321 on January 29, 2013, 05:36:13 PM ---Some decent lighting will let you stop down which will increase the DoF which will make it easier to get the subject in focus. And you can always put a mark on the floor or something, and start recording, go stand in place, wait for a second or two, then begin which will let you edit out the start & end.

--- End quote ---

Yep...right now, I'm working on learning more about lighting. I have some stands and I've bought different sized clamp lights from the hardware store, and a few diffusers and clamps.

I'm trying to do somewhat of a 3 point lighting...but am limited to the layout of my kitchen..and the mixed lights there (halogen track lighting) and my clamp lights are CFLs...all in the daylight (5500 I think?) range.

Like I mentioned, I got something heavy to clamp a large, tall ruler onto....which I used instead of marking the floors...with this I can know where my head,  nose and chin are...and compose the scene knowing better where I'll stand..and focus on that ruler...

Do something like this...no big deal hitting start manually...walking into the scene..doing your bit...walking to hit stop.

That's what editing is for....and since I don't have a clap board, I often use that beginning to talk to describe anything about the scene I want to remind myself about during editing....

--- End quote ---

Don't forget to do manual white balance, and you also can use some gels to get all the lighting to be more or less close to the same color temp, which will make it a lot easier to get good looking footage. Don't forget you can use just about anything to flag (block) to get the lighting right where you want it, or use some poster board to reflect light to fill in the side or bottom or your face, or somewhere else. There's a ton you can do with lighting. And use gaffer's tape, a lot easier to work with than duct tape for anything you may not need to permanently tape together.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version